I'm auditioning for a local hardcore band soon on bass... im familiar with hardcore music, but not so much playing it on bass. What are some good songs to learn to learn more about hardcore technique?

id say im a pretty solid bassist, not amazing but pretty good. just give me any songs to learn to grasp ahold of the style
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
a bad brains song or a fugazi song or a rites of spring song
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Open low string. Over, and over, and over.

</thread>
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
minor threat anyone?
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Hatebreed is like, the undisputed definition of that northeastern hardcore sound. and theyre stuff is really simple. there a decent place to start in hardcore.

ALSO

surf around in the hardcore forums, im sure you'll find something
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by player o slayer
Hatebreed is like, the undisputed definition of that northeastern hardcore sound. and theyre stuff is really simple. there a decent place to start in hardcore.

Quote by Dark_Raven10
Open low string. Over, and over, and over.

</thread>

>_<
Quote by player o slayer
Hatebreed is like, the undisputed definition of that northeastern hardcore sound.

seriously......?

to OP: get the following records:
Lion of Judah - "Universal Peace"
Gorilla Biscuits - "Gorilla Biscuits" and "Start Today"
Bracewar - Juggernaut

all have cool basslines/tones. This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a ton of other excellent examples/ Emphasis on the LOJ record, my favorite hardcore record bass-wise.
Lets turn this into a bass gear talk thread.

What's everyones current rigs?

At the moment I am playing a Fender Highway 1 Jazz into a ****ty Behringer for practises, and hiring GK heads with Ampeg cabs for gigs. I'm hoping to save up enough money to get a decent GK head and a 6 or 8x10.
Here's my current rig:

Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001-rb II (inside of an SKB 3-space rack)
Ampeg Classic Series 4x10 cab
Genz-Benz XB2 4x10 cab
Tech 21 Sand Amp DI
Boss Chromatic Tuner

have yet to use the full-stack at a show
Nice, hows that GK? Also, is that Genz-Benz cab any good?

I just broke the nut on my jazz
Now I'm going to have to go to the music store tomorrow and get a new one put in. Oh well, I might be able to try out some amps while I'm there.
Quote by TBC Guitarist
Nice, hows that GK? Also, is that Genz-Benz cab any good?

I just broke the nut on my jazz
Now I'm going to have to go to the music store tomorrow and get a new one put in. Oh well, I might be able to try out some amps while I'm there.

I love the GK. When I bought it, I was also looking at an SVT, but I preferred the GK to it. Loud as they come, light, durable (you should get a rack for it though).

The Genz Benz is alright. Built like a tank, solid, decent sound. I originally planned to use the Ampeg as a standalone (bought it from a friend), but it can't handle my head alone. I might try to get 1x15" to balance it out and try to get rid of the genz benz. It definitely works for now though, and the Genz Benz works well on its own.
My current bass rig is:

Cort GB34A
Hartke 350 bass head
Carvin cab with 1 x 12 and a 1 x 10

Simple yet effective. I really need to start doing something musical again.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Thanks for that Cedence, good to know.

Man I used to use that Hartke 350 head all the time while I was at tafe. Definitely a good solid amp.
Go like this.

F --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C 00000000000000000100130001343---------00-----00-------00----000
Quote by TBC Guitarist
Thanks for that Cedence, good to know.

Man I used to use that Hartke 350 head all the time while I was at tafe. Definitely a good solid amp.

I used a hartke the other week at a show, it was awesome
cruel hand - prying eyes

back to gear though... how does the hartke ha3500 sound? any cool tones? i'm being offered one for $150, help me make up my mind.
we just bought and ampeg B25 for our bass player. nicest sounding bass amp i've ever heard. its basically the V4 in 1968 before the company changed location or something. even better we got it with a 1971 marshall 4x12 with rola greenbacks in it. Sounds ****in incredible. Both for 750.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by startXtoday
cruel hand - prying eyes

back to gear though... how does the hartke ha3500 sound? any cool tones? i'm being offered one for $150, help me make up my mind.

I think its a pretty decent head, I've never had a problem getting a good sound out of it.
<3 Hartke. Would have loved to buy a few aluminuim coned 4x10s, but that was before the economy went wang up and the price went up about $300 a cab.
Ended up with a Peavey Messiah 4x10 (rated at 1000watts) and a Dave Eden Nemesis 4x10 320 watt combo.
Taken some fiddling but I've got a good solid tone out of it now.
I play hardcore sometimes, but I've got the [like] exact opposite tone of it
(I have the tone rolled almost completely down, EQ with higher mid-range boosted
mids notched towards the deeper side (clean clean and warmm))

my amp is an Acoustic with a 115 (err, only 200watts, oh well)
(and a POS bass that shouldn't be named, but I'll get a new one eventually)

As for playing, it depends on what you mean by hardcore
(as in, Old School, new popular stuff, more metalish, etc.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
try "Open Arms To Damnation" by Born of Osiris... i think it should cover you as far as hardcore bass goes...

its more of a Deathcore song than hardcore but it has the same basic elements
playing BC Rich P Bass (supposedly there pretty rare) that has an absolutely awesome tone for hardcore and metalcore. (and funk.)
played through ashdown MAG 300w head and a 1x15. just got a 2x10 but i havnt put it in the mix yet so i dont know what that does soundwise.

hartke i like too, played a high school (yes im in high school) battle of the bands with an aluminum 4x10, really nice tone. was going thinking of getting a hartke amp of some sore with 2x 1x15 cabinets, but got ashdown after the crate 220w 1x15 combo got destroyed in transit.
i love my bass =]

The most utterly boring member Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
I can't stand aluminum cone speakers. tone is so ****ing strange sounding

And I don't get the hype around Acoustic bass amps. Woo they're cheap, they also sound like ****

Will forever back GKs. Someday, I'll be own an Ampeg 8x10 (use one frequently, nothing beats this combo)
Quote by Cedence
Will forever back GKs. Someday, I'll be own an Ampeg 8x10 (use one frequently, nothing beats this combo)

This.
learn some bury your dead
She's a song unsung, she's a wild orchid in your ugly swamp.