gona buy a new guitar soon, have around 650$. was looking at ESP viper deluxe, viper-400, and then an epi g-400. I used to have an epi lp custom and the neck was a bit cheap, at higher notes it went out of tune ( 3rd fret and 15th fret would be differant for example) just wondering what you guys think? I play mostly metal and harder stuff, some easy but not a tone freak when it comes to that.
Gear
Fernandes Monterey Elite (with older version of sustainer)
Marshall MG100HDFX (soon to be sold)
Custom made 150 watt celestion cab (soon being sold also)
The G-400 is a pretty solid guitar in my experience... just make sure you try it first. I'm not much a fan of the ESPs but that's just personal preference.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
in my oppinion, you cant go wrong with the ESP.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I was looking at the G-400s and while they seemed like pretty solid guitars, they were very poorly balanced. They have terrible neck drop. The Gibson SGs that I played, while still neck heavy, had a much better neck to body weight ratio.
if you can afford the 400 or 1000 series viper don't settle for a g-400. the viper is leaps and bounds better than the epi. i was faced with the same decision a little over a year ago and chose the viper 400. the only difference between the 1000 and the 400 series viper is an abundance of abalone binding and locking tuners.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i have a g400 for sale lol

what was the price for the one u had in mind?
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by mikeyElite
if you can afford the 400 or 1000 series viper don't settle for a g-400. the viper is leaps and bounds better than the epi. i was faced with the same decision a little over a year ago and chose the viper 400. the only difference between the 1000 and the 400 series viper is an abundance of abalone binding and locking tuners.

actually, the workmanship/manufacturing is a lot better too
I used to own a 400 and now I own a 1000 instead for that reason
Last edited by OThugSd at Jan 6, 2009,
if you have the choice, definitely choose the ESP.

ive owned a G-400 for two years and its solid but id take a viper 400 over it any day
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by OThugSd
actually, the workmanship/manufacturing is a lot better too
I used to own a 400 and now I own a 1000 instead for that reason

i went to your profile hoping for some viper pics, to no avail

what color did you get it in ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'd say the ESP. The pickups would be better for metal, and you got 24 frets instead of 22. Anyway, you'll find all SG style guitars to be neck heavy, unless they got some nice heavy mahogany for a body, but it would still be a little neck heavy...
SG =/= SG knockoffs

Thread title got my hopes up.
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6118T Anniversary
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender Showmaster

Peavey Valveking Half Stack

My YouTube Channel
yeah i can get the viper 1000 or the viper 400. depending on when my guitar on ebay sells i may get a gibson sg standard. waiting for my big check in the mail. anyways the 1000 does have alot of extra binding that i dont really like but i was looking at a white deluxe 1000 that didnt have that extra binding, if i got that i would replace the pickups with 490's and im guessing would be a very good guitar.
Gear
Fernandes Monterey Elite (with older version of sustainer)
Marshall MG100HDFX (soon to be sold)
Custom made 150 watt celestion cab (soon being sold also)
As an owner of a G-400, and an ESP guitar (though different model), get the ESP. No question. Get the ESP. Nothing against Epiphone, but ESP (and LTD) are of a much better quality than the G-400.
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Well cost is the tradeoff here. They have an ESP LTD viper at Musicians friend for $599 that has EMG 81/85 in it. I own an Epiphone G-400 Custom with EMG 81/85, Alpine White, and I got it for $350!!! I absolutely love the guitar, but that little bastard does like to neck dive. I've been playing it non-stop for 6 months straight but I still havent quite gotten used to playing while standing. I can do it, but it always feels a little awkward. Is the balance on the ESP any better?
I was trying out a Viper 400 when looking for guitars, I personally thought the Epi G400 was way better. The pickups in the viper just sounded sterile and incredibly non-versatile. While the G400s pups are muddy, it can get a wider range of sounds. Take a look at the 1966 G400. It has a full pickguard and different pickups. I haven't tried it but I want one in silverburst so bad haha