can i do this?
because i'm interested in upgrading my ram to 2gb, and my 1.8ghz processing chip isn't going to cut it for my recording needs. is there any way i could go in there and replace it with some around the 4ghz range?

i have a HP Pavilion 751n. if so, could you recommend a replacement?

thanks guys, i figured since i'm going to use it for recording i would put under this section because idk where else to put it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
It depends of your motherboard. Find out what chipset you have and look for processors that are compatible. You should also check to make sure the rest of your hardware is compatible with it.

Unless you are confident with it I don't recommend trying it yourself, you could bend a pin and it'll be all over, take it to a PC shop and ask them to fit it.
Quote by maggot9779
It depends of your motherboard. Find out what chipset you have and look for processors that are compatible. You should also check to make sure the rest of your hardware is compatible with it.

Unless you are confident with it I don't recommend trying it yourself, you could bend a pin and it'll be all over, take it to a PC shop and ask them to fit it.

nah. i'll pass. i have another computer i could use, i just thought i could put this one to good use.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
load a program called CPU-Z made by CUPID
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

It will tell you what type of socket is on your motherboard. From there, all you have to do is go to newegg and search processors under the same socket type.
Also AMD and Intel sockets are different so be sure to know what you currently have, the program will also tell you this.

If you want, take a screen shot of the program in the "CPU" tab.
post the image here
State what price range you are looking to spend
and I can pick out a few processors for you to look into.

I just upgraded my Acer desktop to a dual core 3.1GHz and tons of memory for dirt cheap and I am lovin' the upgrade.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 8, 2009,
well.
the computer i'm upgrading isn't connected to the internet. and i lost my flash drive to transfer this folder. so it might take me a little longer to find the information.

but how much do you think it would cost to upgrade?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by ugmung
and my 1.8ghz processing chip isn't going to cut it for my recording needs.

What makes you think that?

We did our album on my computer - each song upwards to 36 tracks of 24-bit audio with appropriate FX and EQ for mixing. My modest system is as follows:
-Celeron 1.7ghz processor
-Win XP SP2
-Cubase (at the time version SX2)
-512 MB RAM

Results in profile.

Just make sure you don't have other stuff hogging your resources and you'll be fine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i tried running Fruity Loops and it lags so bad, to the point where it freezes the computer up momentarily.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I was think about upgrading but I found some desktops on ebay for cheap, I bought a refurbished dell 3.4ghz with 2GB of RAM(can go to 4GB) with XP for $250. Its going to be a dedicated unit, no internet or any other programs besides recording related and Im going to use an old school monitor with it.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
memory and processor could be upgraded for under $150 if you find a good deal. Keep an eye on slickdeals.net

I got an AMD 2X 6000+ 3.1 GHz dual core processor and 4GB of high end memory for just under $100 after finding a deal around christmas.

The higher end new programs tend to want a quicker computer.
Quote by occub
I was think about upgrading but I found some desktops on ebay for cheap, I bought a refurbished dell 3.4ghz with 2GB of RAM(can go to 4GB) with XP for $250. Its going to be a dedicated unit, no internet or any other programs besides recording related and Im going to use an old school monitor with it.

That's not a bad idea at all. Make sure you've got a nice fast hard drive and it should be sorted for music making. I regularly record songs of up to about 24 tracks (with virtual instruments), on a system similar to the one Axemanchris posted. If you've got nothing else clogging up your computer, and you disable every uneccessary service/process, you'll have no problems.
Quote by ugmung
i tried running Fruity Loops and it lags so bad, to the point where it freezes the computer up momentarily.

Fruity Loops, IIRC, is heavily sample-driven. This requires tons of RAM and fast disk access. Assuming you have a 7200 rpm hard drive, your problem likely isn't the processor as much as it would be lack of RAM.

If you're simply recording audio and streaming it to and from the hard drive, a very modest system is perfectly fine.

Virtual Instruments require more processor load and samplers, etc. require more RAM horsepower.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
yeah. and i run Ezdrummer and other plug-in's, and FL is suitable for my needs, so that's what i use, even though i hate it.

but yeah, i have another computer i could use with a faster processor, but i wish it had more RAM, that i could use. but i figured i would give this a shot.

2gb of ram is fine, right? i should bump my 1gb to 2gb...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo