I have been wondering, does jimi solo using certain scales? If so which ones? If not... what does he do?
Pentatonic scales, but it's not strictly in the scale (like it should be).
Lots of bends and weird sounding delay tricks.
Like what everyone else is saying. He uses lots of interesting double stops within the scales to create smaller chords though. A good example is on Little Wing, or Bold as Love.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
He doesn't do anything. He's dead, sadly.

Edit: IMABBALLPLAYER, I like your sig better when it had my tremendously ass-kissing comment in it.
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Edit: IMABBALLPLAYER, I like your sig better when it had my tremendously ass-kissing comment in it.

I lol'd
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Like what everyone else is saying. He uses lots of interesting double stops within the scales to create smaller chords though. A good example is on Little Wing, or Bold as Love.

Since we are on this topic, and i have never heard the term double stop, care to explain what it is?
He uses no scales. He flails randomy up and down the neck at notes and manages to get extreamly lucky
Quote by Limabean231
Pentatonic scales, but it's not strictly in the scale (like it should be).
Lots of bends and weird sounding delay tricks.

Like it should be?

Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by death_rider
Since we are on this topic, and i have never heard the term double stop, care to explain what it is?

two notes played simultaneously
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Captianzues
He uses no scales. He flails randomy up and down the neck at notes and manages to get extreamly lucky

OK THEN
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Yeah, I know. I forgot what the quote was unfortunately. If I remembered it I would put it back in.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by death_rider

Two notes played at once
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Hendrix was one of the few Professonal guitarists to never learn scales!, I remember reading it somewhere! another noteable guitarist on that list is Slash! They were just able to "feel it" & play what felt right! GOD i wish I could!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Yeah, I know. I forgot what the quote was unfortunately. If I remembered it I would put it back in.

IMABBALLPLAYER is right.

Come to think of it, he is always right. Always.

There ya go
kill all humans
Thar you go.

Quote by gunners fan
Hendrix was one of the few Professonal guitarists to never learn scales!, I remember reading it somewhere! another noteable guitarist on that list is Slash! They were just able to "feel it" & play what felt right! GOD i wish I could!

I'm pretty sure Jimi knew scales. Infact, I'm certain he knew scales. He played with a Jazz band before going solo. I'm pretty sure you'd need to know how to play a scale if you were in a jazz band.

Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Jan 6, 2009,
Quote by gunners fan

rofl.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

I'm pretty sure he mainly uses either the Major or Minor Pentatonic scale.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER

I'm pretty sure Jimi knew scales. Infact, I'm certain he knew scales. He played with a Jazz band before going solo. I'm pretty sure you'd need to know how to play a scale if you were in a jazz band.

I read a pretty huge biography on him and it never said anything about playing with a jazz band. He played with Little Richard before he went solo. He didn't "know" scales, he played them but didn't realize he did. He was completely musically illiterate and didn't know note or chord names.
Quote by Dillona
rofl.

I'm not bull****ing!
dude read the first post on page2!

Apparentlly there are a **** load of guitarists out there like that!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by gunners fan
I'm not bull****ing!

lolllllllllllll
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Quote by gunners fan
I'm not bull****ing!

The way you said it was lulzworthy though. He isn't just "feelin' it" and guessing notes. He has practiced enough where he has memorized patterns and trained himself to play what he hears. Actually doing what he did makes less sense and takes more work than learning the notes because at first he would have to guess.
Quote by gunners fan

No Slash isn't on that list... he writes in his biography that his guitar teacher wrote up chords and scales for him.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I read a pretty huge biography on him and it never said anything about playing with a jazz band. He played with Little Richard before he went solo. He didn't "know" scales, he played them but didn't realize he did. He was completely musically illiterate and didn't know note or chord names.

Wow.

So he learnt chord shapes, however did not learn how to differentiate them by name?
That must have been difficult to write and remember songs.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Brilliant.

On topic:
Pentatonic variations.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
The way you said it was lulzworthy though. He isn't just "feelin' it" and guessing notes. He has practiced enough where he has memorized patterns and trained himself to play what he hears. Actually doing what he did makes less sense and takes more work than learning the notes because at first he would have to guess.

Yeah well that's exactlly what I meant dude! I didn't mean he could just pick it up & play it from day one or anything! & when I said there are a **** load of guitarists that work like that I meen the older guitarists before the advent of Tabliture & the internet! Tabs are only a resonably new thing, so if you couldn't read sheet music like half of all guitarist then you had to do it like he did!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by gunners fan
Yeah well that's exactlly what I meant dude! I didn't mean he could just pick it up & play it from day one or anything! & when I said there are a **** load of guitarists that work like that I meen the older guitarists before the advent of Tabliture & the internet! Tabs are only a resonably new thing, so if you couldn't read sheet music like half of all guitarist then you had to do it like he did!

You could atleast learn scale intervals. Each fret is a half step...no big surprises there.
Quote by gunners fan

Whoa, I'm not sure why, but I read that as "Hendrix was one of the few Pokemon to never learn scales!"
xD

EDIT: Dave Mustaine is like that too, he doesn't know any theory.
Last edited by Furnase at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by death_rider
OK THEN

god, who knew such a serious thread could make me laugh this hard.

such intense posts.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by rockinlespaul
You could atleast learn scale intervals. Each fret is a half step...no big surprises there.

actually, some notes go up a full step. such as e going to f. or b going to c.
Quote by angusjr127
actually, some notes go up a full step. such as e going to f. or b going to c.

that's actually a half step....

...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
SRV didn't know theory either
"Recycling and speed limits are bullshit...They're like someone who quits smoking on his deathbed."