I've got a roland cube 60, schecter c1+, epiphone thunderbird bass and a yamaha stagepass 300.

i want to get a mic thal give me half decent quality recording (obvisouly).enough so the riffs are not a crappy sound of noise. Ive also got a drum kit but i got a low budget (i figure ill just use a drum machine for the drums). I can only afford about $120 AU. if you check out billy hyde
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=browse&id=53&brand=&sort=high&&page=5
thats what ive got to work with. Is any of it going to get my anything half decent? idc about vocals.

i have 0 experience with recording so i read through a lot of the stickies and threads here but im really confused to whats good quality and a difference in all the mics..
Last edited by ~Moby Dick~ at Jan 6, 2009,
I'm not familiar with that brand at all.

Holy crap, mics there are expensive!! It looks like your dollar is worth about 90 cents Canadian, so almost on par.

You can get an SM57 or Sennheiser 835 for about a hundred or so Canadian.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I'm not familiar with that brand at all.

Holy crap, mics there are expensive!! It looks like your dollar is worth about 90 cents Canadian, so almost on par.

You can get an SM57 or Sennheiser 835 for about a hundred or so Canadian.

CT

Paid 160 for mine the other day, and i'm Australian.

Great Mic though, definetly worth it.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
Paid 160 for mine the other day, and i'm Australian.

Great Mic though, definetly worth it.

will i be able to record guitar and bass well with it? what about drums?
sm57, definately, i got mine for 140 from billy hyde but trust me, its pretty much the go to mic for everyone everywhere.

Records bass decently as well. Look at alot of live shows and you'll see the sm57 used ALOT on bass AND guitar

Almost every studio uses one on guitars (That or mics that are in excess of 2000)

As for drums... its the universal snare mic. Lets put it this way, in one of RHCP's albums chad used sm57s on everything except the kick and possibly overheads, but they work on everything pretty much. If you start to go hey i have exactly the same gear as mr x and the same settings as mr x but it doesnt sound the same, also consider that they have

1) better preamps (yes these are VERY important, but dont bother because for a high end one your looking at 1000 upwards, my sugestion being the Great River ME-1NV)
2) better compressors (not as important but still very handy)
3) better EQ's (depending if the engineer is a guitar purist or not)
4) Mic positioning, try moving the mics around (i generally like pointing the mic at a 45 degree angle at the cone about 5-20 cm away)
Last edited by doommaker at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
will i be able to record guitar and bass well with it? what about drums?

yes, it's great for micing guitar cabinets, and i think with bass, you'd be just as well off just putting it through a DI anyway. You can also as mentioned above ^ use it on certain drums, as well as (if it's absolutely neccesary) using it for vocals. Of course, it isn't ideal for vocals, but if you can't afford another for the moment, then it should do the job until you get another mic.