Poll: Why did you pick up a bass?
Poll Options
View poll results: Why did you pick up a bass?
I had a desire to learn an Instrument.
71 40%
I was bored.
15 8%
I used to play guitar, but it wasn't for me.
42 23%
A bass happened to fall in my lap from my friend or from my parents.
27 15%
AFTER I HEARD GREEN DAY, I WANTED TO BE LIKE MIKE DURNT!!!1!1
24 13%
Voters: 179.
Page 1 of 3
So why, exactly, did you pick up a bass guitar, when you could have just as easily picked up a Guitar? Were you bored, maybe? You do it because you think its cool? Or do you simply just enjoy playing music?

As for me, when I was younger, I used to fiddle around on my uncles old p-bass and now, it has become my life, and it has grown into a life-long passion.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Last edited by PluckU at Jan 6, 2009,
My friend and I wanted to start a band. I was supposed to get a guitar because I had experience in music.(believed the rumor that guitar was harder than bass at the time) He came home one day with a guitar so i got a bass. Never looked back. I do have a guitar now too but bass is for me and i know it now.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
well I went to youtube. they had a SEARCHBAR at the top of the page (I suggest TS use one) and I made up a word. the word was Jaco, and I saw the coolest thing ever.

so I got a bass, and now, I sound, play and look nothing like Jaco. and I probably don't smell like him either. we go a long way.

I'll go with the last option, closest to my desire. you spelled Dirnt wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I started out playing guitar with my friend, but I was a stupid child in middle school and never practiced, and he passed me by. I got frustrated with guitar, but still wanted to play a new instrument so I went to guitar center and started playing the floor models. Been hooked ever since
Quote by the humanity
well I went to youtube. they had a SEARCHBAR at the top of the page (I suggest TS use one) and I made up a word. the word was Jaco, and I saw the coolest thing ever.

so I got a bass, and now, I sound, play and look nothing like Jaco. and I probably don't smell like him either. we go a long way.

I'll go with the last option, closest to my desire. you spelled Dirnt wrong.

Oh haha, a hilarious searchbar joke!!!1!11 And BTW i did search this. I returned no near reults =\
my bad, i really dont care how "dirnt" is spelled. shows how much i like him =\
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
One day I listened to my Dad's old Rush album and thought to myself, you can do that on a bass?
Quote by PluckU
Oh haha, a hilarious searchbar joke!!!1!11 And BTW i did search this. I returned no near reults =\
my bad, i really dont care how "dirnt" is spelled. shows how much i like him =\

no results, eh?

I don't either, but I still try to spell his name right.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
no results, eh?

I don't either, but I still try to spell his name right.

I must be doing something wrong, because I searched: "Why do play Bass guitar?"
and returned nothing near my thread =\
But i did think there would be threads about it, and I was unsure why nobody already posted it.
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Quote by PluckU
I must be doing something wrong, because I searched: "Why do play Bass guitar?"
and returned nothing near my thread =\
But i did think there would be threads about it, and I was unsure why nobody already posted it.

I'll stop picking on you. but next time, remember, the least words, the most accurate. I used 'why start bass'.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Picked up a guitar, couldn't use a pick for sh**, my friends played guitar, I wanted to be different.

I can play stuff alot faster with my fingers as opposed to a pick, and the bass was right for me.

And to people who say it's just a root note instrument or to those who believe in the G-G-G-G-G-G thing in School of Rock, they are quite shocked when I start playing some of the stuff I like to play (Pulling Teeth is one that makes people =0)
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Mootallica
Picked up a guitar, couldn't use a pick for sh**, my friends played guitar, I wanted to be different.

I can play stuff alot faster with my fingers as opposed to a pick, and the bass was right for me.

And to people who say it's just a root note instrument or to those who believe in the G-G-G-G-G-G thing in School of Rock, they are quite shocked when I start playing some of the stuff I like to play (Pulling Teeth is one that makes people =0)

Haha, that killed me on the inside. And at the very end where they all did a solo except for the girl on bass, god O_O,
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Yeah, that peeved me off as well LOL

I still cop heaps of crap from it from friends for playing bass because "It has 4 strings", but every time I get them to play it, they will play for maybe a minute and they get tired very fast - they're not used to thick strings which will tire your fingers.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Quote by Mootallica
Yeah, that peeved me off as well LOL

I still cop heaps of crap from it from friends for playing bass because "It has 4 strings", but every time I get them to play it, they will play for maybe a minute and they get tired very fast - they're not used to thick strings which will tire your fingers.

Mmm and when one of my friends see a 6 stringer they are like "OMFG THIS IS FREAKING CRAZY!!!1!, shouldnt this be a guitar??"
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Haha. I only own 1 4 string atm, That's a Cort Curbow. I want to get a 5 stringer, quite possibly a Traben, my dream bass is a 4001 Rickenbakker, purely for the vintage, but I'd be equally as happy with a 4003.

People see the bass as just an excuse for an instrument - 4 strings, means less notes. IMO, it has more versatility over a normal guitar (You can't really slap/pop on a guitar eh). There are MANY more techniques that you can achieve with a bass guitar - (It's even more fun when I Pinch Harmonic (pick squeal) with just my fingers. The first time I did it, my lead guitarist was like lol..
Quote by srvguitarrulez
were you bashing Green day?

hope not because whether or not your a fan you gotta recognize mike dirnt as a talented bass player. he has sick tone, awesome licks and knows his theory.

my dad ( who's a music teacher) brought home a squire jazz for me to just try out one day. i borrowed an amp from a buddy and would play along with dookie, nimrod, enema of the state and a place under the sun for hours and hours and hours and hours untill my mother knew the words to all the songs. from there i expanded into playing stuff like rush, yes and metallica. know in my own band i incorporate all those things into my original bass lines. i have punk likes like mike, moving lines like geddy and my own style of course.

i have an acoustic guitar but bass is where my desire to learn and progress lies.
I play bass!
Quote by The Poll

But no seriously. This. I love Mike Dirnt.
I was not a natural guitarist and one day in rehearsal I picked up our Bassists (who was struggling) Bass and thought to myself "this is easy" so I sacked him and bought a Bass and gigged the following week.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I. Am. Serious

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I just wanted to play an instrument, and my buddy already played guitar. so I went to the music store, got a bass shoved in my face by the a-holes there at that fail of a store, and fell in love (they gave me a MIA fender jazz at the time...)
When i was like 8 around there i listened to pretty much just Motley Crue and wanted to be just like Nikki Sixx. But when i was 13 i got a guitar played it a week and sold it. The next year i got a bass like i wanted and have played everyday since christmas in 07
I started out on trumpet at 10, and then started on bass at 11 I think. Now I play bass in a band, trumpet in a jazz band and a marching band, and french horn in a woodwind choir
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
i was getting bored of flute and didn't want to play guitar, mainly because i hate grown to dislike of the constant high pitches I had had for the last 8 years with flute.
with hind sight, bass is much better
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I've always wondered why I chose to play bass instead of guitar.

I just did for some reason.

Probably RHCP.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I was getting laid too much.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
There was this girl, her name was Kaz, we talked everyday for like a year on the phone. Every now and then she would pull out her bass while we were talking and she'd start playing. I just loved the way it sounded when she played and the way she sounded when she talked about playing. I got a guitar after we stopped talking since I wanted to be in a band with her one day and neither of us are decent drummers or singers. I expected to just pick up the guitar and basically be a metal god, sadly, after a few weeks of screwing up trying to teach my self, I gave up and put it in my closet for a few years. One day my mom said she was going to give me a few hundred bucks and asked what I wanted. I went over everything I had ever been into and the first thing that came to mind was listening to Kaz play her bass on the phone. My mom bought the bass for me and I sucked more at bass than I did at the guitar but for some reason I still loved playing, the sound, the feeling, everything about it. I've been playing bass for about two years now and I hope I never stop.
I've played guitar for 6 years. But the bassist in my band quit to go to college. I was playing rhythm guitar (I'm usually lead, but I'm sing in this band) So instead of having that long agonizing search for a bassist, I just switched. We became a 3 piece and I fell in love with the low end. I know a good deal of theory as well, And the sound of harmonizing Bass and guitar lines is ****ing insane! It's this massive thick wall of sound. You literally control a song from underneath as well. Besides, Women love the cute bassist. Lead guitarists are too arrogant
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
I started coz i wanted to play an instrument.
My sister already played guitar and I wanted to play somthing different.
Now im picking up the piano and acoustic guitar to.

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

None of these..

I was going to either buy a guitar or a bass
and a guy I knew was selling a bass and a beginner amp for $50

Why not take it?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Nutter_101
I was getting laid too much.

I thought bass players got the most ladies!? I thought that was the rules

Personally, I played a bass in music at school and fell in love.
i think me and my eleven year old friends had wanted to be in a band, 5 years on we are just starting to get things together
I played guitar to start with, I wanted to start a band and we had 3 guitars and no bass, so I took the bass.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I was listening Paul McCartneys live version of Sgt Peppers/The End off of Back in the US and when the solo section to The End came on I thought the bassline was awesome. I was immidiatly inspired to pick up the bass guitar.

EDIT: Plus my two older brothers are guitarists and I wanted to be diffrent and play the bass.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Last edited by SoftParade1967 at Jan 7, 2009,
I wanted to expand my musical horizon. I'd been playing guitar for a while and figured i'd give it a go. I'd actually been playing bass lines and bass-style fingerpicking on my guitar for a bit

so i pretty much started playing the first time i got a hold of one. First song i learned on mine was Uno by Muse. I think it helps me appreciate other instruments (not that i didnt before) as well.
What if someone pointed a gun at my head and said "learn to play bass or I'll shoot you"... which option should I vote?

BTW, one of the most frequently laid rock musicians of all time was Lemmy, and if I remember correctly, he plays bass.... and he's not the most good looking of people.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I picked up my sister's acoustic guitar a few years after she had stopped playing it(Must've been around 12 or so at the time), and started to learn some of the basics to how fretted stringed instruments were played. One thing that always bothered me about the guitar was the strings though, which were quite uncomfortable on my fingers(especially the top ones, they seem to just want to cut into your flesh).

I abandoned the acoustic for a few years, as I took music classes in high school and began playing Trumpet, which furthered my music knowledge. I joined up with my school Jazz band, and was quite impressed by bassist who was able to whip up countless amount of beautiful sounding tones and riffs. A month or so later(in the summer), I rediscovered my acoustic in my sister's closet, and decided that perhaps it was time to make a stringed instrument purchase of my own.

It was my birthday and all, so I went over to the local music shop with my mother, with half the mind to purchase a bass, and half the mind to purchase an electric guitar. After trying both, I was much more satisfied with the feel of the bass(although my hands were substantially smaller at the time, I found the strings more comfortable and the space in between strings more than welcome) and its sound, so I decided to purchase it.
Hi.
Last edited by David12390 at Jan 12, 2009,
Page 1 of 3