Don't give them away?
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
As far as I know once you record the CD all you have to do is record the Date it was finish on the cover & it should (but not always) cover your arse!
Anyway it is probly a good Idea to contact the Department of Fair Trading or some organisation along those lines first.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Isn't it copyrighted as soon as you get it on a CD or create it or something? I remember something similar to this coming up a while back...
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
i thought you had to purchase a copyright.

i could be wrong though...
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Actually I'm going to be looking into this alot more in the next couple of months (My bands looking at doing a CD sometime this year) so I'll let you know what I find out.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
put it in a letter and mail it to yourself. if anyone copies it, bring the unopened letter to a judge and claim they stole it. the post office will postmark it w/ the date. just NEVER open the letter.

*edit -> this is last resort
I'm pretty sure you have to buy the copyright. I think there's a website and everything that handles it. But i'm not completely sure.
Quote by Nickthemusician
put it in a letter and mail it to yourself. if anyone copies it, bring the unopened letter to a judge and claim they stole it. the post office will postmark it w/ the date. just NEVER open the letter.

Actually this, you should always do this. make sure to send it before the release to the public though.
look into the copyright forms in the library of congress. fill 'em out, send them to them and you'll get a notice back saying it's copyrighted and the proof is stored in the library of congress.

or if you can't afford the fee, you could mail a coppy of your CD to yourself and when you get it back, do not open it, but put it somewhere safe. The post mark will have a date over the stamp and crap so it'll be dated and as long as it's not open and you have to go to court, you can hand them that envelope after they listen to the simularities and they'll open it up, they'll see your cd and the date will be right on the envelope.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

To the people who mentioned mailing to yourself, I remember hearing in another thread that it apparently doesn't work but better safe than sorry I guess.
Quote by Nickthemusician

That is an awsome Idea! I'd post a Lyrics sheet (with Band name & who wrote it on it), A Full Tab of the song (Guitar, Bass, Drums, ect...) & a CD or Tape with the song/s on it!

That is an awsome way to safegard your music! I'm so doing this!!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by drunkinkoala
To the people who mentioned mailing to yourself, I remember hearing in another thread that it apparently doesn't work but better safe than sorry I guess.

it works but there are ways around it.
Most lawyers use the "could have been opened and carefully resealed" argument if they are presented with that.
Quote by thefeedingend
Most lawyers use the "could have been opened and carefully resealed" argument if they are presented with that.

DAMN! they're Good! I'm going to sit here for a week trying to think of a Counter-argument for that!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Theres some website around the interwebs with all the information needed about purchasing copyrights for hella cheap. If only I could remember it.
“I want every girl in the world to pick up a guitar and start screaming”

I will prove you wrong.
Quote by thefeedingend

Hold on! I've already thought of a way!!

Just get the post-office to stamp a date onto your Tabs & lyric sheets! or failing that get them signed & dated by a JP (Justice of the peace)
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Okay I can help here.

In order to retain all your rights to your music when you produce a CD is:

A) Write all the songs your self - By writing all the songs your self, you can rest assured that you will never have to deal with the pesky co-writer nonsense.

B) Record all the songs by yourself - By doing this you can make sure that no other member of you band (assuming you have one left if you do this) will ever ask for royalties or any performance rights to any of the songs

C) Mix all of songs yourself - Can't have those damned engineers getting all the credit for your work. So eliminate those pesky middle men by doing it yourself. Lord knows that only you can make it sound better.

D) Don't hire a producer - What do they know anyways

E) Don't ever sign a record deal - Sure they can help you get exposure, and fund your project and do lots of things that could help you out.... but its not worth giving up your rights now is it.

Now follow these simple steps and rest assured that you will be the only one that owns and knows about any music work that you do.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I've spoken to a lawyer about this actually. (Hope no one has cleared this up yet)

Yes you do actually have to purchase a copyright if you want it to be ACTUALLY copywriten.

HOWEVER. If you make the CD, then snail-mail the CD to you and don't open the envelope the post mark date is "good enough" proof that it's your material.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Nickthemusician

Having studied a ridiculous amount of Copyright Law (and yes there is a ridiculous amount of it), that method does not work, and will not be held as evidence in the district court.

If you really want to protect your musical works and compositions, then all you have to do go to the Copyright Office's website www.copyright.gov. Fill out the online form, pay the $35, and send in two copies of the work. Once it is processed (it takes a long while, they have a lot to do) they will send you a certificate to prove that your works are held copyrightable.

That is the only way to ensure that your works are protected.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Metal-X
Having studied a ridiculous amount of Copyright Law (and yes there is a ridiculous amount of it), that method does not work, and will not be held as evidence in the district court.

If you really want to protect your musical works and compositions, then all you have to do go to the Copyright Office's website www.copyright.gov. Fill out the online form, pay the $35, and send in two copies of the work. Once it is processed (it takes a long while, they have a lot to do) they will send you a certificate to prove that your works are held copyrightable.

That is the only way to ensure that your works are protected.

I don't doubt you may have studied copy right law. But I do think you're wrong about post-marking it. It's physical proof that you had the material "first," and the post mark is proof of when it was made.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I don't doubt you may have studied copy right law. But I do think you're wrong about post-marking it. It's physical proof that you had the material "first," and the post mark is proof of when it was made.

While it may be proof, it is not reliable proof. And even if you show up to court with it and there is undeniable evidence that someone illegally used your song, then there is really nothing you can do because it is not registered with the copyright office, and you cannot be protected by federal copyright law.

I really don't see why people try to use this as a form of copyright protection. It's a hell of a lot easier just to fill out the form and you have nothing to worry about.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"