I know this sounds like a stupid question, but what happens to the note when a fret is worn down? Is it made sharper or flatter?

How about when the strings get old, does it make it sharp or flat?
And I mean that in the best possible way.
When strings get worn down they dont stay in tune obviously but I dont think its always either flat or sharp it just depends.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yeah, I know that. But what does it depend on?

Basically my guitar's out of tune, and I'm trying to figure out of it's due to old strings or worn frets.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
Yeah, I know that. But what does it depend on?

Basically my guitar's out of tune, and I'm trying to figure out of it's due to old strings or worn frets.

Just get new strings and try that, I dont think it would be frets causing your issue, it would cause issues with notes and chords not tuning.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Just get new strings and try that, I dont think it would be frets causing your issue, it would cause issues with notes and chords not tuning.

Sure it would, you just misunderstand what I mean by "out of tune".

I mean it is out of tune with itself, fret-wise. Obviously frets don't effect the original tuning.

For example, if I tune my low E perfectly using a tuner, when I play the 5th fret (the A), it's always sharp.

I need to find out if this is due to old strings or bad frets. I don't want to buy new strings for a broken guitar.
Between the fret and the string, the cause of error is more likely to be the string because it's the softer material and has less resistance. If you pound a sledge hammer into a block of wood for awhile, which one is going to give first?

There are many possibilities. Your guitar could also be cheap and has poor action. Your bridge may simply need adjustment. You could be hitting the string too hard: a chromatic tuner measures the pitch by the total range of vibration (frequency) and striking softer or harder will vary that range.

Worn frets is a possibility, but that's not something anybody can determine online, you'll have to take it to a shop. Personally, spending six bucks on a pack of strings is not going to be the end of the world if it doesn't fix your problem, and it will cost a lot more to get a new guitar or have your current one refretted.
Quote by XahXhaX
Between the fret and the string, the cause of error is more likely to be the string because it's the softer material and has less resistance. If you pound a sledge hammer into a block of wood for awhile, which one is going to give first?

There are many possibilities. Your guitar could also be cheap and has poor action. Your bridge may simply need adjustment. You could be hitting the string too hard: a chromatic tuner measures the pitch by the total range of vibration (frequency) and striking softer or harder will vary that range.

Worn frets is a possibility, but that's not something anybody can determine online, you'll have to take it to a shop. Personally, spending six bucks on a pack of strings is not going to be the end of the world if it doesn't fix your problem, and it will cost a lot more to get a new guitar or have your current one refretted.

That depends on quite a few variables.... How big the sledgehammer is, how big the block of wood is, if there is anything behind the block of wood, what kind of wood it is, etc.
Look. If your strings get old they usualy break or give off a dull sound. If the frets get worn down the notes will become sharp. If you didnt know that it would be a good idea to learn to use google and search about Guitars.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Sounds like your intonnation is off.

This, this is the reason why I suggested new strings
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
This, this is the reason why I suggested new strings

But new strings will not fix the intonation.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
But new strings will not fix the intonation.

Yes I realize that but old ones are not gonna innotate properly and this may be the TS's problem
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112