Page 1 of 3
is it possible for a band to get famous (perhaps not as famous as ACDC but enough to get by decent) in 2 months
or is it not possible
i know its all luck but is that chance sooooo small its not even worth it
also how good at music do u have to be for this to even be possible
If you're not under any time constraints, then I hear getting one of your songs onto Guitar Hero or Rock Band will make you famous in no time.
its not possible to answer this question
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Nope. In order to really be "making it" you have to have an enourmous fan base that is constantly going to your gigs and buying your CDs, something that would be impossible to get in two months.

Even if you managed to get signed to a label within two monts (again probably impossible) there's still a good chance you'll be flat broke by the time you have to turn around and pay back your advance.

It's like that ad that's frequently in guitar mags that says, "Overnight sensation.... years in the making."

Even those bands that pop up almost out of nowhere on MTV usually have been playing for a long time, if not on the national level then a lot within their own local scenes. And many of them don't make it very far anyway...
Last edited by T!AN at Jan 6, 2009,
well, if you have something fresh and creative to offer the world well then just mayb... no, wait, what was i thinking? not possible.
The answer would be no. Theres no way you can get a following, a good CD, a great live show, and all the money and resources needed. You might have a song on youtube hit high, but that isnt famous thats BS famous, the kind that doesnt get you money or recognized. You want to be famous it takes balls, risks, sweat and hard work.
i enjoy head
@ burnedtoast
^^It hasn't worked for some bands (The Sword for example)

Realistically no, I don't think 2 months is anywhere near enough to get enough exposure to get popular enough to get scouted, possibly lead on from that to winning some form of battle of the bands and getting signed, record an album, do a sh!t load of advertising and promotion, release a couple of singles, release the album and do a succesful tour in support of your album.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
it depends

you can easily gain fame by having a mainstream or sub-mainstream genre, and spinning it into your own way that sets you apart from everyone else.

But even if you're the most amazing band ever, you need publicity... get a myspace, get on last.fm, put songs on limewire, and have your friends promote you

bands that gain quick fame don't just sit on their ass, they work.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
KK NOW I REPHRASE THE QUESTION....
is it possible to get famous enough to get by in 2 months ?????
Quote by burndttoast
If you're not under any time constraints, then I hear getting one of your songs onto Guitar Hero or Rock Band will make you famous in no time.

this. even tho most bands on there have been playing a while, most people (*cough noobs ugh*) started listening to them after they heard them on that. so if you can get on there pretty much your famous.

and to answer your question, no you don't need very much skill at all, just as long as you can play at all, just look at pete wentz, he's famous and can't play worth ****.
No, that's gay anyways. Who plays for the fame?
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Da Squiz
No, that's gay anyways. Who plays for the fame?

Nickelback.

Only fame and money.
Quote by burndttoast

This, take The Last Vegas for example, they were pretty much nothing untill they won the contest to be in Guitar Hero II, now they're touring with bands like Motely Crue.

Crooked X is another one, these kids are 15, get a song in Rock Band, now they're playing Ozzfest.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
You could... all commit mass murder then 'form' a band in jail with your band mates then you would probably be famous
That's about the only way i can think of
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
You could... all commit mass murder then 'form' a band in jail with your band mates then you would probably be famous
That's about the only way i can think of

It takes the vast majority people a few years before they even playing small gigs on a regular basis, and that's not enough money to 'get by'.

Hell there are bands signed to record labels, touring countries and still they're only earning what someone else would on a regular 9-to-5 job.

The only exception is if there's something about you that really stands out. For example, if your band is made up entirely of playboy models then you'd get famous and earn more money faster than a bunch of runny-nosed 14 year old boys.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It takes the vast majority people a few years before they even playing small gigs on a regular basis, and that's not enough money to 'get by'.

Hell there are bands signed to record labels, touring countries and still they're only earning what someone else would on a regular 9-to-5 job.

The only exception is if there's something about you that really stands out. For example, if your band is made up entirely of playboy models then you'd get famous and earn more money faster than a bunch of runny-nosed 14 year old boys.

haha nice
playboy models yummm

were actually not trying to get famous here...were trying for asia thats why we only have 2 months...due to conscription (army) and other issues...nonetheless were trying hard

like even "enough to get by" is good enough for us cuz we love music not money
It depends upon what you mean "get by."

There is a practical and mercenary reason why the guys in bands that exploded out of the LA music scene in the 1980s often had many girlfriends- they needed places to sleep and eat.

If you look at a typical music contract- as I have done- the take-home pay after taxes and expenses for a member of a 5 piece band whose debut album just went Gold is around $17,000 USD. That's poverty level.

But still, even if that were your goal, the answer- barring a miracle- remains "No." It takes more than 2 months to develop a repertoire of songs- even as a solo artist- that will get you signed, recorded, distributed and going Gold in 2 months.

Kaki King, talented though she is, took nearly 5 years between moving to NYC, gigging and busking in the subway to getting her first album released.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just because you're famous, doesn't mean you make money.

Getting your voice heard is probably easier then it has has ever been, with sites like YouTube and MySpace, but at the same time you're also competing with way more people at the same time. There's a difference between being famous, and being successful.
Kill the president, and say that your latest song made you do it.........
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
aren't there alot of overnight hits of band that are not known at all?
Like Guns n' Roses.
Appetite For Destruction hit the shelves, they were some lame ass bar band back then and BAM suddenly they ****ing famous.
Guns 'n Roses wasn't really an overnight success.

The band formed in 1985, out of the ashes of Hollywood Rose and L.A. Guns. G'n'R co-founder Tracii Guns then left and re-formed L.A. Guns the same year. It wasn't until 1987 that Appetite for Destruction was released.

IOW, there was a significant history behind their "overnight" success.

The reason the got the deal in the first place was that they were a hot band in L.A.- they were virtually guaranteed being seen by some if not all the record labels' A&R reps. They may have been a lame-ass band by somebody's standard, but they were in the heart of the American music industry which gave them a leg up on the competition.

The main reason Appetite exploded was that it simply sounded like nothing else on the airwaves at the time- their raw, "real rock" sound cut through the highly processed sounds typical of the glam-metal bands that were dominating radio and MTV.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2009,
Ever seen "Working Class Rock Stars"?
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Can't say that I have, but it looks interesting.

Quote by GOLDIE93
Kill the president, and say that your latest song made you do it.........
I hate to say this, but this sounds pretty good.. maybe not Obama, but some other politican... maybe republican?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The main reason Appetite exploded was that it simply sounded like nothing else on the airwaves at the time- their raw, "real rock" sound cut through the highly processed sounds typical of the glam-metal bands that were dominating radio and MTV.

... and "Sweet child o' mine" has an extremely distinct and catchy intro, isn't especially heavy, is very melodic, and has "female-friendly" non-rock-audience-specific lyrics, sung in such a way as to make them distinct enough to make out first time through. Had it not been for said song, they'd have certainly got a decent following amongst the rock community - "Appetite for Destruction" was a bloody good album either way - but would never have been the massive mainstream success they were for a few years.

*cough*

On the subject of achieving enough to make a living from it in two months, you're in the wrong genre entirely. Catchy, gimicky rubbish, aimed at teenagers, knocked out in an afternoon on Pro Tools, and spread through the net (or, even better, mobile phone ringtones...) is about the only route to real instant success. Think "Crazy Frog" and you'll be on the right track.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Sleep with as many record executives and producers as possible and see where that leads you. Being female, big boobs and legs that go up and make an a$$ of themselves helps tremendously
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Antimage27
haha nice
playboy models yummm

were actually not trying to get famous here...were trying for asia thats why we only have 2 months...due to conscription (army) and other issues...nonetheless were trying hard

so where is your focus???

you cant possibly have enough free time to ever "make it" if your in the army aswell... let alone in 2 months. People who actually make it in bands dedicate their whole lives to it.

wakey wakey rise and shine ;-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
It'd take more than 2 months to become tight enough to simply play a live show.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
2 months wouldnt be enough, but the other question is that theres plenty of people wanting to be musicians professionally so youve got a lot to compete with
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
My buddy George played in a local band here Called Five Foot Thick most know their song Prozac. They got real big here in the Northwest US, opened for bands like slayer and such. 10-12 years 3-4 CD's later they still were not signed to a good label. tho they were semi famous up here they called it quits. If your out to get Famous then you will fail epic like, Its got to be just about the music getting famous is a nice perk if your good at writing music it will come. another key thing is you have to be Unique not just another cookie cutter EMO or new metal band.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jan 8, 2009,
You're not going to be famous in 2 months.
2 months after starting a band, you will barely be tight enough to play a gig at a decent pub.

Half a year, if you practise every day, it's possible to become popular around your town, state, and maybe even get booked to play a big gig with a band from a different state or something.
But you have to be damn good.
Member of the Laney Cult
It took Devin Townsend a while to get noticed, He played small shows out here for years before he created SYL and went on the SOTU tour and got a pretty good fan base
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
Quote by Antimage27
haha nice
playboy models yummm

LOL.

This is why my metaphor for humanity is this: An overweight cardboard cutout of a
person sitting on a couch with glazed eyes and a bit of drool dripping down the chin
staring mesmerized at the TV at what passes for entertainment.

Wake up.

Who gets "fame" is pre-determined. It's handed out on the basis of what is
required by the current agenda. You're programmed to see fame as the height
of being alive and the famous as those to be admired and looked up to. This
fantasy that plays out in your head is exactly the desired result as one of the
many factors that helps keep you a nice, semi-awake, docile member of the sheeple.
If you're chosen for fame, you'll get it, otherwise forget it.

Look at the famous and what they do. Do you really think they're happy? Even
by the little that gets to you about their lifestyles and actions, shows quite clearly
they are mostly sick and troubled individuals. If this is what you admire, it follows
that you are also sick and troubled.

In light of your question, your professed "love for music" is a joke.
Page 1 of 3