I bought the Dunlop Heil Talkbox a few months and I still cannot figure out how to properly set it up. I'm new to this so I'll try to explain as best as I can. Here is the equipment I have so far:
I have a Behringer V-ampire LX 1200H amp head, but no speaker cabinet, and a Crate K80 XL combo amp. I don't have a PA system so I was wondering if I can use the Talk Box without it.
What I did so far is connect the 1/4 in. cable from left/mono output (amp head) to the input of the Talkbox. Then another 1/4 in. cable from the output of the Talkbox to the input of the Crate amp. I don't know if this a retarded idea to hook up one amp to another, but I only did it because I don't have a speaker cabinet. I connected my guitar to the amp head input and I tried turning the Talkbox on, but I have no luck getting it to work or sound like it is suppose to.
The output of my amp head is 4 ohms and I think that may be a problem because from what I read on some forums the Talkbox operates at 8 ohms or more.
Please give me an indepth guide on what I need to do to setup my talkbox. I'll do whatever it takes to make it work.

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II
Quote by FilthySanchezX
I bought the Dunlop Heil Talkbox a few months and I still cannot figure out how to properly set it up. I'm new to this so I'll try to explain as best as I can. Here is the equipment I have so far:
I have a Behringer V-ampire LX 1200H amp head, but no speaker cabinet, and a Crate K80 XL combo amp. I don't have a PA system so I was wondering if I can use the Talk Box without it.
What I did so far is connect the 1/4 in. cable from left/mono output (amp head) to the input of the Talkbox. Then another 1/4 in. cable from the output of the Talkbox to the input of the Crate amp. I don't know if this a retarded idea to hook up one amp to another, but I only did it because I don't have a speaker cabinet. I connected my guitar to the amp head input and I tried turning the Talkbox on, but I have no luck getting it to work or sound like it is suppose to.
The output of my amp head is 4 ohms and I think that may be a problem because from what I read on some forums the Talkbox operates at 8 ohms or more.
Please give me an indepth guide on what I need to do to setup my talkbox. I'll do whatever it takes to make it work.

No, to amplify the sound coming out of the tube, into your mouth, picked up by a microphone--you need PA , so it's audible.
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 6, 2009,
Can I connect a microphone to my combo amp or do I need a separate amp thats not connected to the guitar or talkbox? Also keep in mind that this setup is for my room and not for gigs.

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II
Quote by FilthySanchezX
Can I connect a microphone to my combo amp or do I need a separate amp thats not connected to the guitar or talkbox? Also keep in mind that this setup is for my room and not for gigs.

You can, but you may encounter a phase issue if you use the same amp you're playing guitar through, along with a potential impedance mismatch between your amp's speaker load, and the load of the talk box.
Will the phase issue damage the talkbox in any way

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II
I had the same problem a while ago and I got it set up like this way:

I have my MG50DMX amp and have my Talkbox connected just along through the back of the amp.
I just plug my guitar in the amp.

I've got a microphone connected through a Bogey DL-20 amp (not that you ever heard of it I guess) and a small Behringer Equalizer.

So basically I need two amps for it.
The Talkbox and an equalizer.

You tape the Tube from the Talkbox onto the microphone so that will raise your sound.

(alright I am bad in explaining)
Last edited by Chapz at Jan 7, 2009,
So I basically need another amp in order for me to even hear the talk box effect work.

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II
Quote by FilthySanchezX
So I basically need another amp in order for me to even hear the talk box effect work.

Yes
Just wondering if I can set it up the way Peter Frampton has it. Meaning just having the tube taped closed to the mic evenly so I don't have to put the tube in my mouth.

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II
Quote by FilthySanchezX
Just wondering if I can set it up the way Peter Frampton has it. Meaning just having the tube taped closed to the mic evenly so I don't have to put the tube in my mouth.

He has it sticking out a bit past the mic so he CAN get it in the side of his cheek
Damn! your right it is. oh well

Amp:
Crate K80 XL

Pedals:
Heil Dunlop Talkbox
Marshall BluesBreaker II