I am a reasonably new guitarist who has an acoustic guitar. I want an electric guitar, because acoustic is just not my style, but my parents think I should obtain a certain level on acoustic. So, I was wondering if there is a piece (for acoustic or electric) that you think I should learn as a "test" to satisfy my parents and get an electric guitar.
just learn whatever their favorite song is, that might work

EDIT: or just the intro to stairway to heaven
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
Quote by PhillyHendrix

i was going to say that, it's not too difficult, easily recognizable, and will impress your parents.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by PhillyHendrix

this.
Tell them to grow the **** up and quit thinking that there methods are logical.
Here's what I get out of the scenario...

They just bought you an acoustic. You want an electric. They don't want to spring for another guitar because A) you're a beginner and really only need one instrument and B) there is still a chance you might give it up all together.

A test is a silly way to go about it, because they don't really care what songs you can play. They want to know that you aren't going to give up in six months, leaving hundreds of dollars of unused guitar gear around the house.

That means you have two options.

1) Let the topic go for a while, play your acoustic, be happy with it, impress girls, get your basics down, etc. When they know you are ready to stick with it, I'm sure they'll help out.

2) Buy an electric guitar yourself. It might suck your bank account dry, but it will sure as hell make you less likely to give it up soon. You'll feel great about it after too.

Don't beg your parents or trick them with how good you are by playing one tough song for them. It makes you look immature and will make them less likely to contribute. Just be patient and learn on what you have. You wont be ripping on either until you figure out basic techniques anyway.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Here's what I get out of the scenario...

A) They just bought you an acoustic.

B) 1) Let the topic go for a while, play your acoustic, be happy with it, impress girls, get your basics down, etc. When they know you are ready to stick with it, I'm sure they'll help out.

C) 2) Buy an electric guitar yourself. It might suck your bank account dry, but it will sure as hell make you less likely to give it up soon. You'll feel great about it after too.

A: No, I have had it for about a year.
B: I already impress girls with muh pecs of steel.
C: It will suck my bank account dry and I'm most likely to buy it.
So whats the best thing you can play now?
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by Little ninja
C: It will suck my bank account dry and I'm most likely to buy it.

If you have the funds, why not go for it? Your parents can't tell you where to spend your own money. You certainly don't need to prove anything to them if you've been playing steadily for a year.
learn on an acoustic. learn to have a great tone, great dynamics, and great left hand (and right hand) abilities on an acoustic, and learn theory.

Youll thank me when you have a great electric tone.
You should easily be able to play the stairway intro if you've been playing for a year
I'd try that

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Quote by JezuzFingerz
You should easily be able to play the stairway intro if you've been playing for a year
I'd try that

Okay.....I wasn't playing steadily for a year, but I mean business now.
Quote by PinkFloyd73
learn on an acoustic. learn to have a great tone, great dynamics, and great left hand (and right hand) abilities on an acoustic, and learn theory.

Youll thank me when you have a great electric tone.

But then when you go to electric you're totally confused about all the distortion and feedback like me