Alright so I am in a band we play hardcore music, http://www.myspace.com/xburythemessengerx
That is our page if you want to listen to help out better please do(The Second song is closer to the way we are heading music wise).
Alright so the deal is I have a very crappy old Crate that I use for shows, I have decided that it is time to get a new amp because I have wanted one for quite awhile now and tax time is finally coming around so I have narrowed it down to three amps.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBATBX150H

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVVKING100

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RANRX120DHS

Alright so I would be buying all of these with there respective matching cabs because my cab cant handle much power. So the tone I want is a chunky beefy rumble but with the crispness of a 5150 and the ability to hit the high speals and make them sound badass.

Now here is the tricky part, I am on a budget for the most part so it would seem that the Ibanez and Randall would be the better choice but I love the fact that the valveking is atleast partially tube, so anyone that owns one of these could you please help me decide what would be the best amp because if the Ibanez or Randall will be just as good and get just as good of a tone then I would rather spend less. All opinions welcome since I wont be able to play any before buying I just have to go off of your guys help and youtube demos!

Thanks!
Well out of those Valveking would be my first choice...you'd be getting the head with the it's matching cab? The Valvekings cab is another 420...and for 800-1000 roughly, you can go used and find a much better deal on an amp that would better suit your needs....I'd look into used 5150's and Triple X's, simply because you can find hella good deals on them. Don't rule out finding a decent combo amp and running it to a cabinet, either...

Also, might want to check out the B-52 AT-100. I've personnely never used one, but I do know they're a poor mans Mesa and are relativly cheap
Stay away from the Toneblaster!! While it does have enough gain to kill an elephant, the tone is horrible. The cleans are meh and the distortion is very thin and trebley.

Randall SS amps are generally good, however I have no experience with the one you've mentioned.

The Valveking would probably be your best option out of all of those, however in my opinion they are muddy and lifeless.

Take Say Anything's advice and look for a nice used combo such as a Peavey 5150/6505, Marshall JCM800, etc.
Ya I have read the reviews and alot of people have said that the Toneblaster is a very thin sounding amp and thats not what im looking for but I just wasnt positive because there were alot of good reviews. I have thought about a combo but I dont htink I would run it through a cab(since mine is crappy and I dont have the money to buy a combo and a cab), possibly just alone? I know that a 2by12 would work for a live show and practice and especially if I could get a tube combo. I know that the valveking would be around 900 for the stack but I would be willing to go that high, but I cant go any higher than that unfortunatly. I have been looking for good deals on craiglist and ebay and such nut the only problem is that I do need a whole stack or nice combo because my whole set up is not good.

I have looked into B-52's a little but I have never heard they are the poor mans mesa, has anyone played a b-52 for the distortion before because thats a good runner too, also what about Raven, I havent heard alot other then a few reviews but maybe? But what would you guys recomend for a combo, its gotta have the tone and be loud enough to play at practice and be heard through everything else.

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming please!
Quote by ADBG
I have looked into B-52's a little but I have never heard they are the poor mans mesa, has anyone played a b-52 for the distortion before because thats a good runner too, also what about Raven, I havent heard alot other then a few reviews but maybe? But what would you guys recomend for a combo, its gotta have the tone and be loud enough to play at practice and be heard through everything else.

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming please!

I don't have any personal experience with B-52s but they seem like decent amps from what I've read about them. The whole "poor man's mesa" deal - I've actually heard people who say they like the tone of a B-52 more than a Mesa, but that just comes down to personal preference. However, I've also read that B-52s tend to be a bit unreliable.

As for the Raven - stay away. They are just another cheap SS amp... okay for bedroom practice if you don't have anything else but they are definitely not good amps by any stretch of the imagination.
Ya all the reviews on the b-52's have been good and I played through the recording guys mesa while we recorded and I do love the Mesa's I must say so if I could get that tone out of it then that would be amazing. Unreliable how?
Quote by ADBG
Ya all the reviews on the b-52's have been good and I played through the recording guys mesa while we recorded and I do love the Mesa's I must say so if I could get that tone out of it then that would be amazing. Unreliable how?

Well like I said, I have no personal experience with them so I just have to go off what other people have said - but there have been quite a few cases of people complaining that the amps stopped working properly. It may just be several instances where people happened to get a rotten egg out of the bunch - but I would be kinda leery of ordering something from a website or catalog... if you can, go out and give one a good, thorough test run before you buy it.
Quote by SayAnything
Well out of those Valveking would be my first choice...you'd be getting the head with the it's matching cab? The Valvekings cab is another 420...and for 800-1000 roughly, you can go used and find a much better deal on an amp that would better suit your needs....I'd look into used 5150's and Triple X's, simply because you can find hella good deals on them. Don't rule out finding a decent combo amp and running it to a cabinet, either...

Also, might want to check out the B-52 AT-100. I've personnely never used one, but I do know they're a poor mans Mesa and are relativly cheap

+2 basically.

Never played a B-52 either but they get love.
I have played the Raven, twice, stay away.

ditto on everything else that has been said already. I own a VK but I would not get the VK cab if you end up getting a VK head. Speakers suck. Either get an Avatar cab or something or get a combo and swap out the speakers. Do the dummy jack trick and put an OD pedal in front and you off to the races.

let craigslist be your friend and good luck.

Edit: Oh and the VK is all tube not patially tube and do yourself a favor and go listen to some of the clips in the VK thread on page 1. Raijouta, Necrophagist, synystagates, gtr_101, etc.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 7, 2009,