If you havn't read this great book yet, then read no further as it may effect your unique experience with the story.

For those of you who have read it, I have a revelation, please tell me I'm not the only one who has thought of this, or maybe it's blatently obvious in the book, I don't know: TRALFAMADORE IS HEAVEN. The afterlife in which it's inhabitants can view any particular part of their life. That is Billy's central setting for the book only going back to certain parts of his life periodically to explore. Prahaps the dome in which he lives is limbo, I'm not sure. The theory is still a work in progress but I just thought of this and it blew my ****ing mind
it makes sense but it didn't knock me out of my chair...

then again, he does get to screw a hot movie star.
Last edited by guylee at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by evanm31
I didn't understand that book at all .

Read Breakfast of Champions. I read Slaughterhouse and didn't get it, then read Breakfast of Champions and understood it, re read Slaughterhouse and understood it perfectly.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
i would say i can see where your coming from with that, but when i wrote a thesis on them, i made the point that they represents humans and our nature. for instance when they are doing that bombing with the jelly, and they are happy that they dont have to see the people they are killing..yeah its kinda like us. i have a paper that i wrote on it somewhere but i wrote it a while ago and read the book even longer ago..if you watn, i can send it to you?
Ah, I loooooovvvveeeeee Vonnegut's work.
*dies*

So it goes.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by HIM%(^
i would say i can see where your coming from with that, but when i wrote a thesis on them, i made the point that they represents humans and our nature. for instance when they are doing that bombing with the jelly, and they are happy that they dont have to see the people they are killing..yeah its kinda like us. i have a paper that i wrote on it somewhere but i wrote it a while ago and read the book even longer ago..if you watn, i can send it to you?

ya that'd be awesome thanks
Quote by ewp805
Ah, I loooooovvvveeeeee Vonnegut's work.
*dies*

So it goes.

im gonna go out and say..this should catch on in the pit. it has to. if not, im going to start it.
so it goes...
Great book, seems like everyone has read it. But it was my 3rd Vonnegut book I read and probably my 3rd favorite as well. Anyway that's an invalid interpretation, what is your meaning of heaven? Just any place that's good? When you think about it, it doesn't need to be called "heaven" just Tralfamadore. It's still a good place. The name doesn't matter, but the place does. Therefore your interpretation isn't really an interpretation you see.

You just defined what Tralfamadore is. A place where Billy goes and it seems peaceful and pleasant. Everyone is interested in humans there and they do studies and experiments. He has sex with a beautiful woman and is able to go back and visit his past experiences on Earth, even though many are painful. Seems like a cool place to me, but your statement is invalid. Vonnegut wasn't religious, so it's definitely not meant to be heaven or an afterlife, just a fictional place of fascination.
Slaughterhouse Five is my favorite book in the world. This doesn't contribute much to the discussion, but I felt compelled to state it.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by Iliemyfaceoff
HUZZAH!

Vonnegut thread!

Happiest Day of my pit dwelling life.

Indeed. We need photos of his awesomeness.

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Quote by GoToSleep
Great book, seems like everyone has read it. But it was my 3rd Vonnegut book I read and probably my 3rd favorite as well. Anyway that's an invalid interpretation, what is your meaning of heaven? Just any place that's good? When you think about it, it doesn't need to be called "heaven" just Tralfamadore. It's still a good place. The name doesn't matter, but the place does. Therefore your interpretation isn't really an interpretation you see.

You just defined what Tralfamadore is. A place where Billy goes and it seems peaceful and pleasant. Everyone is interested in humans there and they do studies and experiments. He has sex with a beautiful woman and is able to go back and visit his past experiences on Earth, even though many are painful. Seems like a cool place to me, but your statement is invalid. Vonnegut wasn't religious, so it's definitely not meant to be heaven or an afterlife, just a fictional place of fascination.

I understand what you're saying and agree with most of it, but isn't calling someone else's interpretation of art (is this case literature) invalid kind of a douchebag move?
Oh god....I love this book...

What other Vonnegut books do you guys recommend...

I really don't enjoy books or reading often, so I want it to be something I can get through without getting bored of...If its not that great I might die of boredom...

So it may go...
Quote by Mountaindew91
I understand what you're saying and agree with most of it, but isn't calling someone else's interpretation of art (is this case literature) invalid kind of a douchebag move?

No I'm not trying to be a douche bag, I'm just saying it really isn't an interpretation.
Quote by Guitarfreak217

I really don't enjoy books or reading often, so I want it to be something I can get through without getting bored of...If its not that great I might die of boredom...

So it may go...

Cat's Cradle
Breakfast of Champions

Read em both and loved em.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Quote by Guitarfreak217

So it may go...

Any Vonnegut. Especially Mother Night, Breakfast of Champions, The Sirens of Titan. Any Vonnegut. The mans a genius, I love him.
He really was a genius.

Does anyone even really know if he actually did time travel? Or was it a hallucination? It always seems as if Vonnegut tries to confuse the reader with that, and it was probably on purpose.
Quote by Josh Shiells
Tolkien, and A.A Milne defeat this man.

No.

I find the book to describe an alternative way of looking at time, as opposed to the linear way in which most of us experience it. Billy experiences events in his life in random order, which shows that the past and future are no more or less important than the present. So even when someone dies, the moments in which they are alive are still as real and still exist, so there's nothing to be sad about. So it goes.

Also, the book is incredibly absurd, and that conveys the fact that war is absurd. Kind of like how Catch 22 does.

I really liked the book, and loved the line "Among the things Billy couldn't change were the past, the present, and the future." and the scene where he watchs a war film backwards.
naw, trafamador is a planet populated with aliens. one of the aforementioned aliens lives on titan, a moon orbiting saturn. all of human existence is just transmitting a message sent from the homeworld to the alien watching from titan.

know your vonnegut, peoples!
I have no opinion on this matter.
Good book, my sister is an English lit student and every year she buys me weird ass books for christmas, Slaughterhouse 5 is the only one I've ever actually read. I really enjoyed it and tried a few of his other books, now I've finished the Dark Tower I might check out some more of his work.