From browsing this section all week long and drooling at the sights of the beautiful wood and jobs people have been doing, I've been wondering what it takes to be a luthier or at least create a guitar from scratch. I know that being a luthier takes a ****load of skill but other than that I really have no idea. I'm a guitar player but something about making them just seems almost more fun and interesting than playing them. So I ask all of you pros out there, what does it take and what did you have to do to get where you are now?
Last edited by Nick_Toomey at Jan 7, 2009,
You can build a guitar with just a router, sandaper, and a spoke shave and a fret saw if you plan on doing your own fretboard.

It takes a lot of patience and willingness to do everything perfect. Of course the first guitar is never perfect, but usually the builder is the only one who knows all the faults.

I'd just suggest looking at a ton of builds. And learning what all the lingo is before you go about doing things. Learn why to use a scarf joint, different neck joints, and all that kind of stuff. It's better to know too much than to not know enough.

Other than that, go buy some Alder or Mahogany depending on your budget and make a body. Grab some Mahogany or Maple for a neck too. For a first build, I'd suggest a premade fretboard, it makes things easier the first time around.
I am not a pro by any stretch, but it requires a lot of time with materials. Most of the people here have the skill set from their job or prior experience. I personally worked with metal in high school for three years to get to my skill set. nutinbutrubl was a machinist and or worked with CAD I believe.

If your good with your hands and are able to solve problems well, are meticulous and know how to do decent sketches you can most likely do it.

Most people here also have a LOT of tools or quickly obtain them. I have relatively few here and I have a table saw, jig saw, router and table and 4 different sanders. Most people have a band saw... which I lack (hopefully not for long though).

As far as the wood goes, people know where to get it locally. Ebay rarely cuts it.

Bottom Line:
It's just a skill really where you either pay $XXXX to have someone teach it to you, either know it from your job or learn it on your own....

Hope this answers your question

I also agree with spyro.... Wasn't that an Old Playstation game with a purple dragon???
I played that... it was amazing
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at Jan 7, 2009,
Being a luthier requires you to follow words that start with the letter P

Planning Practice Patience Perseverance Paper

Plan thoroughly every espect of your design before even cutting a bit of wood.

Practice each step of the build process before you start cutting up your expensive tone wood

Patience i.e dont rush or you will mess it up, or chop a finger off.

Perseverance i.e dont let little mess ups kill your confidence, almost any mistake can be fixed

and Paper, cos this $hits expensive dawg

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I was just checking out what people kinda go through to become someone you would consider a "guitar builder". I'm still in high school and I have no income at all so this will stick to being a dream for now. I'm currently doing a frankenstrat project but all of the parts are premade and it's all just screw together and paint. I don't mind this but in the future, I'd love to just make a body that just feels great to me, not to the millions of players out there, but just to me.
Quote by Invader Jim
Imho, the ability to use the Search bar is an essential skill to being a luthier.

Lol, I would swear that I said this to some one else last night. :P
I think it is best if you wanna do this as a hobby just to research, maybe read a book or something and do it. Building guitars is not hard, it just takes practice to make everything perfect.
its not as expensive as you think, if your a high school kid like myself, and you get a job, you can still make enough money to build a guitar. go down to your local lumberyard and get some wood. i got a piece of ash for part of my build for 8 dollars. you can probably get some longer pieces of wood and even get some thing to build an entire guitar body with neck for less than 50 dollars, depending on if you use ebony or rosewood for the neck. and buying all the other stuff isnt too bad. if you start out with a strat as your first build, youll learn to route and sand and cut the body. you can buy pre-wired pickguards and stuff.
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
Quote by Absent Mind
Being a luthier requires you to follow words that start with the letter P

Planning Practice Patience Perseverance Paper

Plan thoroughly every espect of your design before even cutting a bit of wood.

Practice each step of the build process before you start cutting up your expensive tone wood

Patience i.e dont rush or you will mess it up, or chop a finger off.

Perseverance i.e dont let little mess ups kill your confidence, almost any mistake can be fixed

and Paper, cos this $hits expensive dawg

THIS! Also, projectguitar (dot com... the website)
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.