Page 1 of 4
One of my students asked me a question today that I thought was pretty interesting.
If you could take a lesson with any famous players, who would they be?

Let's limit it to 5 each.

Here's mine;
1. Steve Vai
2. Joe Satriani
3. Steve Lukather
4. Scott Henderson
5. Nuno Bettencourt
There's my way and the wrong way.
Hey have some more variety than shred-shred-shred-shred-shred.

Before I give mine, do they have to be alive?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
1. Joe Satriani
2. Eric Johnson
3. Eric Clapton
4. Andy Mckee
5. Antoine Dufour

These are in no real order, it'd be awesome to have a lesson with any one of them.
Ok first of all, Nuno, Lukather, and Scott Henderson are not really shredders. And if you've got a time machine, you can take a lesson with anyone you want.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Jeff Loomis, Al DiMeola, Steve Vai, Chris Broderick.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
1. Saul 'Slash' Hudson
2. Jimmy Page
3. David Gilmour
4. Alexei Laiho
5. Jimi Hendrix
(but if they cant be dead...)
John Butler
1. satch
2. vai
3. paul waggonner

don't carry about the rest, those three would be good enough for me o_O
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by seth's daddy
Ok first of all, Nuno, Lukather, and Scott Henderson are not really shredders. And if you've got a time machine, you can take a lesson with anyone you want.

Touche, and very well. In no particular order;

SRV
EC(Cream-era, back before age began creeping up on him)
EVH
Jimi(I know he's overrated, but hey, he innovated man, and I get a feeling with more time to develop he could've put EVH, Satriani and Vai all to shame. *Puts up flameshield*)
Randy Rhoads
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
5. David Gilmour
4. Eric Johnson
3. Randy Rhoads
2. Paul Gilbert
1. John Petrucci
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
1. Slash
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Paul Gilbert
4. Stevie Ray Vaughn (to get some cool blues chops goin)
5. Eddie Van Halen
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
1. Prince
2. Keith Richards
3. George Harrison
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Nick Valensi
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Someone who could actually explain and teach.... My bet is that even though these guys are famous at playing guitar, they wouldn't necessarily know how to teach.
1. Randy Rhoad
2. Zakk Wylde (not because I wanna play like him just cause he's an awesome dude)
3. Jimmy Page
4. David Gilmour
5. Les paul! =D The guy lol

In no particular order at all. Jimmy Page is basically the reason I even grabbed a guitar I wish I could add more i'd add EVH, B.B. King, Hendrix, Vai, Buckethead (I like him *flameshield* )

To the guy who said these guys might not be able to teach people how to play guitar, I'm not gonna make fun of you because some of these guys didn't know anything about music theory so they'd be like "do this *face melting solo* " and you're gonna be like "..uh"

But some of these guys actually taught each other. Paul Gilbert taught bucket head. =D
Last edited by SGlover69 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Dirty_Civilian
Someone who could actually explain and teach.... My bet is that even though these guys are famous at playing guitar, they wouldn't necessarily know how to teach.

Gilbert, Vai, and Satch are all accomplished instructors, as well as many of the other guitarists in this thread.

I'd pick:

Gilmour
Gilbert
Clapton
Derek Trucks
B.B. King
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Dirty_Civilian

For a couple examples, Gilbert taught buckethead. Satch taught Kirk hammett.

@CitizenErased:

Why matt over... those other 4? Especially petrucci. For a piano lesson i'd take matt but honestly for guitar i can think of plenty of people i'd take a lesson from over him...
Quote by Dirty_Civilian

Gilbert has been doing like nothing but teaching the past 5 years. Satch taught Vai, Gilbert, and Kirk Hammett, for a few examples.
Myles Kennedy's lesson on Mark Tremonti's dvd was the catalyst for me deciding to pick up guitar when I did (it otherwise would've been an "at some point" endeavor). Mark and Myles were my inspirations to learn, but when I watched myles lesson it just inspired me. I can tell he's a great teacher (he did teach guitar lessons in spokane, WA before AB came about), and he's someone I'd love to take lessons from.

Mark Tremonti as well. as Mark has said in interviews (and is evident in their playing), they come from different backgrounds in their guitar playing, and I'd love to learn from each of them.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Shawn Lane
Devin Townsend

The first three because of phrasing and lead guitar style, Shawn Lane because of theory and technique (and phrasing too) and Devy because of how he writes metal riffs. Lessons with all of these guys would set me up with all the tools i need to be a great member of a band.
Michael Romeo
Alexi Laiho
Randy Rhoads

If we could get lessons from dead people, I would definitely go with Chuck schuldiner.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Joe Bonamassa, love his sound and he has a passion for teaching the blues, his Blues in Schools appearances has been very well recieved. He has also done many tutorial videos and offers advice through his forum. Most artists the fans cannot get near.
Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Vai, Satch, Richie Kotzen? Dunno, but the first two for sure.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
1.Paul Gilbert
2.Michael Schenkter
3.Dave Mustaine
4.Angus Young
5.Slash
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Paul Gilbert(He seems like a very good teacher)
Marty Friedman
John Frusciante
Jason Becker
Jeff Hanneman
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
In no particular order at all. I love 'em all equally
Slash,
Zakk Wylde,
Paul Gilbert,
Joe Satriani,
Steve Vai
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Gilbert
Vai
Lane
May
Cooley
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
slash
eric clapton
buddy guy
jeff beck
paul gilbert
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
PG, guy seems to be a great teacher
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by uctlaum01
Myles Kennedy's lesson on Mark Tremonti's dvd was the catalyst for me deciding to pick up guitar when I did (it otherwise would've been an "at some point" endeavor). Mark and Myles were my inspirations to learn, but when I watched myles lesson it just inspired me. I can tell he's a great teacher (he did teach guitar lessons in spokane, WA before AB came about), and he's someone I'd love to take lessons from.

Mark Tremonti as well. as Mark has said in interviews (and is evident in their playing), they come from different backgrounds in their guitar playing, and I'd love to learn from each of them.

Definitely agreed. Tremonti has a very beautiful playing style. I was very shocked to hear his solo on Alter Bridge's Open Their Eyes. I was thoroughly impressed by not just his speed, but his melodic content as well.

Anyways...
1. Eric Johnson
2. Galder
3. Satriani
4. John Williams
5. Randy Rhoads

Just for funsies, I'll add why I chose each one.

Eric Johnson because in my honest opinion, he writes some of the most beautiful and interesting solos.
Galder because of his work with Old Man's Child.
Satriani for his extensive knowledge of modes.
John Williams for his classical guitar compositions, as well as writing in 4 part textures.
Randy Rhoads because, well, it's Randy ****ing Rhoads.
Page 1 of 4