Well my band and I don't even have any of our own stuff recorded yet, but we were thinking once we get a few albums out, we would do a cover/tribute album for all the bands that inspired us to pick up an instrument and play. We have the same bands in mind for the album and it would mostly consist of 3-4 songs from our main influences. I dunno about the rest of the band, but my choices so far have been these:

Godsmack
Vampires
Livin' In Sin
Hollow (or Temptation)

Alice In Chains
Man In The Box
A Little Bitter
Dirt
Again

Rammstein
Du Hast
Zwitter
Ich Will

System Of A Down
Aerials

Blink 182
Dammit

Metallica
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Ozzy/Black Sabbath
Paranoid (I put a sick galloping rhythym on this)

Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Zephyr Song
Fight Like A Brave
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
That's cool and all, but you'd have to arrange it where the RHCP and Blink 182 would blend in somehow with the metal and SOAD
Yeah, we'd probably be putting a harder spin on the RHCP songs, but we also might just go with ordering the songs so that the transition from punk/rock to metal flows better.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Getting a little ahead of yourselves, I'd say. Also, you'd have to distribute this for free, as without obtaining the proper permission, selling it would be illegal.
Close... even distributing it for free would be illegal.

What you need to do is get mechanical licenses for all of those songs. Go to a resource like www.harryfox.com or www.cmrra.ca to do most of that.

In the end, it comes out to about 8 cents per song per copy MADE. So, if you do ten songs, each CD will cost you about 81 cents in royalty costs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.