So I've been thinking about adding a Sonic Maximizer THIS ONE TO BE SPECIFIC to my rig. I'm currently using a 5150 through a behringer cab and I use a Kramer with EMG's dropped in it. I play Metal (death/hardcore/Metal/whatever you want to call it) and I've heard good things and some not so good things about this Rack Unit.

So...Would you recommend it or not, and why !

DISCUSS.....
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
Personally, I think all it does is add low end, scoop mids, and make your tone sound extremely processed. Nay.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I wouldnt do anything to an amp sitting on top of a behringer cab. TO be honest, the cab/speakers is half the tone to me. I hear good and bad things about the maximizer though. I think it works best for bass, but not guitar. Too digital sounding.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i would say no. you dont need it in order to get a great tone.
maybe someday after you have all high end gear, and you just need that little bit better tone, then its time to get one.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Hey buddy. I don't know about the rack unit but I recently added a BBE Sonic Stomp, which is a stompbox version of the rack unit, and it definitely cleaned up my sound while raising the volume slightly. I also play metal and it cleaned up my tone right through the guitar imput: I read reviews before purchasing and it was recommended to use through effects loop for best results. It really is a night/day difference.
Hope this helped.
personally, I think you would help your sound a lot more with a better cab, but the Maximizer can work for some people. It can help thicken up a sound, and add some bight and sizzle. It comes with a price though IMO. It's easy to go overboard quick with the controls and make it sound "processed", for lack of a better term. I've also found it imparts a bit of it's own sound on everything no matter where it's dialed, good or bad depending on your taste. Really have to watch the midrange too depending what tones you're going for, the effect seems to boost the highs and lows more.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 7, 2009,
I bought the BBE Sonic Stomp a little while ago...I like it. I boosts the volume a little bit for lead lines and tightened up the overall sound. Made individual notes ring out a bit more too.
Quote by Erock503
personally, I think you would help your sound a lot more with a better cab, but the Maximizer can work for some people. It can help thicken up a sound, and add some bight and sizzle. It comes with a price though IMO. It's easy to go overboard quick with the controls and make it sound "processed", for lack of a better term. I've also found it imparts a bit of it's own sound on everything no matter where it's dialed, good or bad depending on your taste. Really have to watch the midrange too depending what tones you're going for, the effect seems to boost the highs and lows more.

+1

I had the top model and it still sounded digital and like erock said it left its mark no matter the setting. It does do what it says but you can get the same tone minus the digital mess with a good eq and settings. In my opinion its a lazy mans eq honestly..
Pass it up and get a good cab and eq...
Quote by Erock503
personally, I think you would help your sound a lot more with a better cab,
Agreed, but money is tight and my other guitarist for my band has the same cab so at least for the time being we have matching cabs.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
+1
you can get the same tone minus the digital mess with a good eq and settings.

what kind of EQ would you recommend or anyone else recommend ?
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
I would never use it on a 5150. The 5150 is a synthetic sounding amp to begin with. It will scoop out your tone and banish all mids. If you had a JCM 800, it would be a different story. Sonic Maximizers sound great on Marshalls.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by BackSeatSuicide
Agreed, but money is tight and my other guitarist for my band has the same cab so at least for the time being we have matching cabs.

what kind of EQ would you recommend or anyone else recommend ?

Mxr M108