Page 1 of 2
Hi, Guys
I would like some help from the UG-community.
I just started my 3rd month of playing electric guitar, a richwood fender replica ..And I really want to buy a new one, just because I don't really like this one, and i want to make some harder music, like some metal..
Everyone to whom i tell that I play for 3 months now, doesn'teven believe it Bcuzz they think I play much longer you know..
This is where my real problem starts.
For this replica I bought from a friend, I payed €150,-, and that was with a Bogey 20W amp. And I don't want to buy a guitar that's just a bit more expensive. I want to buy a Ibanez ICT-700,preferably black.
But that's a guitar that's pretty expensive if I buy it in the only shop nearby that sells it.
€669,- !!!
My question: Is it smart to buy such a guitar when i play 3 months, assuming that such a guitar could last an entire lifetime?
And if you don't like the idea of an Ibanez ICT-700, would you have other suggestions for a good metal guitar?
(btw, ICT-700, Bcuz Daron malakian has always been my guitar idol)

THX ALOT! And this was my first official post on UG
( ohw yea..And I have a spending limit: €800,- )
Last edited by Paoelios at Jan 7, 2009,
Yes, a second guitar IMO should always be great to a point where you wont regret buying it.

If your friends think that you've been playing longer than three months, then you might have talent, more reason to go for the guitar.

Plus the fact that its your idols guitar... .why not? But idols will change, let me warn you this much.

Its really your choice, go out to the local music store and shred each guitar there, see what catches your attention the most.
Well if you really like playing and your sure your not gonna quit any time soon I say go for it. If you like ibanez I would check out and RG hardtail as well
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
dude, don't buy a guitar because your idol plays it. that's the reason why most people are going to tell you buying a guitar after 3 months isn't a good idea. that and you probably don't know the differences in tone at this point and just.... don't buy something that big at this point. If I were you, I'd pour most of my money into a new amp. then, with the left overs, get an esp guitar or something that's reliable and not so high end.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Thnx alot you guys. But I'd like to correct myself.. I don't 100% want that guitar because my idol plays it. I just like the guitar's look, and it's occasional that my idol also plays it..
Thnx again, for the good replies.
(Please keep on replying!!)
Don't. Because your styles and tastes are going to change and what you like now is not necessarily what you will like a year or two from now.
Even if my style IS going to change, I'm sure I'll keep on liking hard music, like metal..So..
Please reply me some other good metal guitars, if you don't like the idea of a ICT-700.
My favorite bands NOW are uhr... like..: Bullet for my valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, bit of Metallica, starting to like Children of Bodom..., slipknot is pretty good..
that's about it!
Thnx again for the pretty fast replies
Quote by Paoelios
Even if my style IS going to change, I'm sure I'll keep on liking hard music, like metal..So..
Please reply me some other good metal guitars, if you don't like the idea of a ICT-700.
My favorite bands NOW are uhr... like..: Bullet for my valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, bit of Metallica, starting to like Children of Bodom..., slipknot is pretty good..
that's about it!
Thnx again for the pretty fast replies

Not necessarily. When I first started playing guitar, I was really into shred and metal thought I was going to play that kind of music forever, and came really close to buying an Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature (and this was a year or two after I started), but eventually bought a more conservative guitar (a les paul), surely enough, years later, I'm in love with the les paul and play primarily classic style rock and blues. So go figure...
haha man I'm exactly the same as you! I've been playing for around 3 months, and everyone that sees/hears me play thinks I've been playing for ages, I showed some guy up in the music shop whos been playing for 5 years! lol.

I think an Ibannez RG....
Olp MM1
Digitech DF7
Randall RG-40r
Tanglewood Acoustic
Quote by EddyPlaysMetal
haha man I'm exactly the same as you! I've been playing for around 3 months, and everyone that sees/hears me play thinks I've been playing for ages, I showed some guy up in the music shop whos been playing for 5 years! lol.

I think an Ibannez RG....

My hero...

Go for an amp first as that will make more of a difference to your tone than a new guitar.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Well, I don't really prefer the amp idea.. But you guys are telling it quite convincing..
So, at this point, i STILL prefer buying a new guitar, but the amp idea is getting closer and closer.. :p Even IF I would go with the amp idea, What would be a good amp to buy? If I would buy an amp, I would still like to have some money left to buy a new guitar..SO.
Maybe you can post some sets of guitar/amps? remember, I like metal
(d@mn, this thread is helping me awesomely)
for a guitar i would get for a ESP with EMG pickups, ( in case you dotn know they are electro magnetic, and have more clarity in the notes e.t.c, and are the satin black ones), and for a beginner ampwise, i would say a roland cube , or a " shudder " line 6 , they both can get a wide range of sounds, and are great to start with as they also have built in fx.
Quote by Lespauljames
for a guitar i would get for a ESP with EMG pickups, ( in case you dotn know they are electro magnetic, and have more clarity in the notes e.t.c, and are the satin black ones), and for a beginner ampwise, i would say a roland cube , or a " shudder " line 6 , they both can get a wide range of sounds, and are great to start with as they also have built in fx.

Okay, thnx man! And i DO know what EMG pickups are
I'm sure to check that stuff out.
*EDIT* A "shudder"?? I can't find that amp anywhere on the web
Could you send me a link??
the shudder was because he was repulsed by the idea of playing on an amp like that. Honestly, you could go for a peavey amp. I'd go for a valveking 100. You'd probably still have some money to buy an upgrade guitar as well.

edit: crap, my bad. I ment the valve king 112 combo.
Valveking
and then for guitars I'd recomend....
ESP Ltd's
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Jan 8, 2009,
Okay, thnx dude..
I totally feel like a dumb@ss, not getting the "shudder" xD
I'm sure to also check that stuff out.. Thnx alot..
btw, I found a pretty cool guitar i might also wanna buy: the Ibanez RG 1570.
Maybe you guys could also post some comment on that one?personelly I like it pretty much.
I'd have to say, make sure it's good before you buy it. The second guitar in my band has one of them and it has had serveral problems with the "floyd" that have resulted in him needing to have it serviced.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Don't buy your guitar on looks or name alone - go try one out, try a few out - you might find you love it, but you might not - better to find out before you pay your money.
Quote by Lespauljames

Dude, wtf? EVERY pickup is electromagnetic...
Quote by zhilla
Don't buy your guitar on looks or name alone - go try one out, try a few out - you might find you love it, but you might not - better to find out before you pay your money.

Yea I will follow your advice. I know just the place for trying out guitars here in Holland.. Maybe if you're from holland you'll know it. www.feedback.nl
They have a huge collection and stuff..only it's kilometers away
But hey, maybe my parents can drive me sometimes
I'm sure they'll say i could better "start of with a cheaper guitar" , but if I have an expensive one, and i'll take good care of it, it would be able to last a lifetime
Thnx for you comments again, and PLEASE keep on posting, I still need some advide or something!
Moet nie vir jou 'n kitaar koop nie, koop eers 'n amplifier! Something you might understand.
Quote by WantzChas
Moet nie vir jou 'n kitaar koop nie, koop eers 'n amplifier! Something you might understand.

Sorry, but your dutch truely sucks ass xD
please speak english, and say something i might understand.
I guess you're trying to say I should buy an amp instead of a guitar :p
Thnx anyways for the rather funny comment xD
^^lol probably used one of those ****ty translators online or something hahaha ^^

anyways. i would agree on the amp statement, but there isnt any reason why you couldnt get a good amp and a good guitar too.

you dont have to spend a grand to get something pretty good.

i would agree with the Cube 30x's, or a Peavy Vypyr. (i would also say some vox but you want metal, and the vox just wouldnt cut it IMO)

the ibbys are cool (im not a huge fan of them at all) ESP's are nice, but i cant say the same about all LTD's.

I would look into Jacksons (dinky's, soloist) or Schecters (C series, Hellraiser Series).

the schecters are a pretty good bang for ur buck.

Maybe check out Agile, if you can get them where you are. (i still havent been able to find on to actually play, but i constantly hear good things about those budget guitars)

you can get a decent rig and not have to spend a **** ton..but high end axes are sexy.

good luck man

I'd have to say wait at least a few more months before buying a different guitar and shop around. Just because the guitar looks good and is expensive doesn't mean its a good guitar. Keep on playing for a few months then go to a shop and spend time playing all the guitars that look good + a few other ones to see what your options are. And as far as a metal guitar goes i would recommended an Esp there good quality at a very good price and a lot of the guitars are built around metal.

hope this helps
Well, if I'd stop this topic now, I would still do something a little bit different from what you tell me :p
If I WOULD have the €800,- at THIS moment, I would buy an RG1570 SDB, And a...i don't really know. A friend tells me that if I buy a new amp, It could also be good to buy one from 50W+...And he must know it, because he plays for 8 years now, all over the country.
But if I also had to choose for an amp at this moment, it would be a Line 6 Spider III 30, 75, or maybe even a Spider III 120...
Because, then when I would have a gig, in a year or so:p, I wouldn't have to buy a new amp just for gigs. And if I buy a 120W now, I'll be sure to overpower the drums in my "almost-band":P...75 W is enough for that too. But is 75W also enough for a gig?
Congratulations if you understand the story above xD
well, The RG1570 SDB would be €729,- , and a Spider III= ( 75W=€289,-) (120W=€389,-). So the total would be at least €1018,- , pretty much overpowering my spending limit.
But hey, who says that I'll have to buy them both at the same time xD..
In this situation, what would YOU choose?
1: the amp, leaving some money for the guitar. So you'll be playing on a not so good guitar + good amp
2: the Guitar, leaving some money for the amp. So you'll be playing on a good guitar + not so good amp.

Thnx for reading this long-ass-story and for replying..cya
Last edited by Paoelios at Jan 9, 2009,
ok, let's put it this way man, **** guitar + nice amp = fairly good sound and **** amp + nice guitar = below average sound.

I would NOT buy a line 6. They are terrible for the price you pay.
and just so you know, a 50 watt all-tube amp is loud enough to play ANY VENUE. If you get good enough that you play a venue that needs more sound YOU WILL GET MIKED. Your drums will never be louder than even a 20 watt tube amp of any brand. I currently play in 4 different bands, (one through school, one metal band outside, one punk band outside and one jazz band outside) and am playing out of a 30 watt tube amp. It is MORE than loud enough for me to be heard above other band members if I need to, and yet still has the subtle nature needed in order to be able to play without the neighbours calling the cops.

As for amp brands there's the obvious;
-marshall
-vox (as people have said, not highly recommended for your style)
-messa
-roland
and the not so conventional;
-AXL (cheap all tube amps, that still have quality. I play out of an akita 30 watt)

as far as I can think of, there's a few more amps you could try, but they're of a higher price range.

Edit; so I'm clear, a 50 watt tube amp would be able to stand up with a 100 watt solid state. (currently most amplifier manufacturers under rate their outputs. You'd probably be looking more at 120+ watt solid states. but as a rule, double the output to get a tube amp to translate into solid state ratings)
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Jan 9, 2009,
You seem just like my friend. You play for 1-3 months and insist on buying a new guitar because it looks cool and it is a signature model or something. Why don't you get an amp and other things you NEED and get a guitar last.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
You seem just like my friend. You play for 1-3 months and insist on buying a new guitar because it looks cool and it is a signature model or something. Why don't you get an amp and other things you NEED and get a guitar last.

Yup, you're right...at only 1 point, and that's that I play guitar for 3 months now.
READ THE PREVIOUS POST I DID ON THIS THREAD!!!
I want a guitar (and an amp) for the sound
btw,'I'm getting both, but I still don't know in what order xD...
The RG1570 SDB isn't even a sig. model..
Remember, I am only asking for help, not for the bad comments, in which the facts aren't even true xD
Thnx anyway, for looking up my posts..
And Wicked Rose , thank YOU for that comment,but i do still have some questions i want to ask:
Could you tell me some of the disadvantages of tube amps?If there are any..
Are tube amps heavier??:S(like in weight)
And what amp would you think be the most metal-like, of the few you named in your previous post?
Thnx again, for a VERY helpfull post
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
^^lol probably used one of those ****ty translators online or something hahaha ^^

Actually I speak I Dutch dialect as my first language. Thought he was slightly smarter and would understand, but clearly his interpretation skills "truely sucks ass". I tried, buy the guitar, you will see that it will still sound like your amp, and "truely sucks ass".
Quote by WantzChas
Actually I speak I Dutch dialect as my first language. Thought he was slightly smarter and would understand, but clearly his interpretation skills "truely sucks ass". I tried, buy the guitar, you will see that it will still sound like your amp, and "truely sucks ass".

Srry Dude, but the average Dutch person wouldn't even understand that xD
And hey, for a 14-year-old, I guess my english is better compared to your Dutch.
and uhr...This is a "help-thread" not a "hate-thread"
EDIT: ohw yea and I'm not stupid. Actually, I'm in the highest level you can be at college xD
Quote by WantzChas
Could be since English is my third language.

Alright, I'm sick of discussing this stupid thing xD
English isn't even a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd language for me I guess xD
Sorry that I said your Dutch sucked, Okay?xD
Cya
EDIT: Ohw wait, I see!! You're from South-Africa. Yea I understand your point
That's cool, my parents will go there for 2 weeks 12th of januari this year..
I get it now, the Dutch grammar over there is totally different
To get back to the point, look in getting atleast a Peavey Valveking 112 or Peavey Vypyr, then use the excess to buy a guitar or mod the one you have. $100 makes a lot bigger difference in amps than in guitars
Quote by Paoelios
And Wicked Rose , thank YOU for that comment,but i do still have some questions i want to ask:
Could you tell me some of the disadvantages of tube amps?If there are any..
Are tube amps heavier??:S(like in weight)
And what amp would you think be the most metal-like, of the few you named in your previous post?
Thnx again, for a VERY helpfull post

the two dissadvantages valve amps is that, after say.... a year or two (depends on how often you use your amp and move it) the tubes with wear out and you will have to purchase new ones. and that for about say... 5 minutes before you play, you need to warm up the tubes. (this isn't required, but it preserves the life of your tubes)

as for the most metal oriented amp of the bunch, the peavy valve king 112 would be the best bet in your price range. Bugera is another amp range I would reccomed. Like the AXL amps, they've started to lower the price range for good quality tube amps. (hahaha, I sound like some kind of infomercial.) Mind you, I live in Australia, so pricings aren't very reliable. You may actually be able to get amps cheeper over there

Bugera
not sure if this would be to your liking but; AXL
Peavy

Edit; hahaha, sorry man. almost forgot to answer your question about the weight. and yes, tube amps do weigh more than solid states. For the sound however, it seems more than worth it to me.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Wicked Rose
the two dissadvantages valve amps is that, after say.... a year or two (depends on how often you use your amp and move it) the tubes with wear out and you will have to purchase new ones. and that for about say... 5 minutes before you play, you need to warm up the tubes. (this isn't required, but it preserves the life of your tubes)

as for the most metal oriented amp of the bunch, the peavy valve king 112 would be the best bet in your price range. Bugera is another amp range I would reccomed. Like the AXL amps, they've started to lower the price range for good quality tube amps. (hahaha, I sound like some kind of infomercial.) Mind you, I live in Australia, so pricings aren't very reliable. You may actually be able to get amps cheeper over there

Bugera
not sure if this would be to your liking but; AXL
Peavy

Edit; hahaha, sorry man. almost forgot to answer your question about the weight. and yes, tube amps do weigh more than solid states. For the sound however, it seems more than worth it to me.

Wow dude, all the way to the other side of the world, here in Holland, the peavy valve king 112 isn't as cheap as in Australia I guess..
It's about €400,- in Holland
And about purchasing new tubes: how much would it cost to exchange your tubes of...for example the peavey valve king 112??
And also, heating up the tubes, how would you do that?with a hair dryer??xD
thnx for helping out with the tubes and stuff..

:EDIT: Uhr,about the weight of of the Peavey you're talking about.. How heavy is it approximetly??(preferably in Kilograms)
Last edited by Paoelios at Jan 10, 2009,
lol you heat up the tubes by leaving it on standby for a min then flipping the power switch on and let the tubes heat up like that im not sure how heavy the peavey is but if you play metal you might need an OD pedal infront of it to tighten it up , a badmonkey or tubescreamer would be a good buy with the VK112
it weighs about 20 kg. but here's all the info you'll need on this page.
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/ValveKing(R)%20112%20Combo.cfm
as for the cost of replacing tubes, you'd have to ask your local store. you can replace the ones inside the amp and get a more british rock sound if you want and stuff like that. basically, you have a whole range of pricings depending on the sound you want and the quality of the tubes. I don't know the currency exchange or anything, but maybe close to €80-100 for some good ones.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
Okay, thnx alot Wicked Rose.
Well..about the weight. I don't think I could easily take that to a friends house to jam together, and my parents don't like it if we jam here..so it'll have to be put in a place where I could jam, not making my parents go crazy...
Yea I do know aplace for that, but that'll mean that I'll have to go there just to play guitar?
What would you do? leave it home, knowing that you can't take friends home to jam? or put it somewhere where you cán jam, but then you'll have to go there everytime..

Edit: Hey wait, maybe I can leave the PVK 112 at home, and jam with the ****ty amp
no problemo xD
Page 1 of 2