I realize thats a very open statement, but seriously, I can play pretty much whatever I want, it might take me a few minutes to get it down, but I can play it, but I have one problem, I SUCK AT WRITING MY OWN ****. I can't do it if my life depended on it. I play and play, people are amazed, but I feel like an idiot because I can only play OTHER peoples music.

I've read up on theory, know a few scales in all 5 positions, understand chords, arpeggios and all that note-y stuff.

I just need a little direction, I'm thinking of just signing up for lessons, I feel stuck.

Any help?
The more you write your own ****, the better you will be at writing your own ****.

Practice make perfect.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Well that does make sense since everything I learned took a **** load of practice.

It just pisses me off when people who have been playing for half the time I have are all already in bands and playing shows and ****.
Also play live as much as possible, if cause if you can do it in the bedroom and not live, then you are a guitar player, not a musician. As a muso, you should be able to play comfortably wh a a live band and an audience, and be cmptwetent enouhg to leanr songs "on the fly" as you play them, get some work as a backing muso at a jam night, it will really help i would suggest.
Quote by fragydig529
Well that does make sense since everything I learned took a **** load of practice.

It just pisses me off when people who have been playing for half the time I have are all already in bands and playing shows and ****.

Did you ever think they might have worked harder and set better goals than you? Not ragging on you, but many guitarists I know are angry at sucessful local guitarists JUST because those guys are out there, making the money and living the dream, and they are not. Then they go home and fap, and repeat their whining the next day.

HOWEVER, alot of being a musician is being at the right place, at the right time. Some people can play okay, but they're in a great band because the others take up the slack.

Keep doing what your doing. You're time will come.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by fragydig529

jesus... nothing is stopping you from playing live.

go play at coffee houses or something.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Also play live as much as possible, if cause if you can do it in the bedroom and not live, then you are a guitar player, not a musician. As a muso, you should be able to play comfortably wh a a live band and an audience, and be cmptwetent enouhg to leanr songs "on the fly" as you play them, get some work as a backing muso at a jam night, it will really help i would suggest.

Yeah I realize that, playing in front of people is ALOT different than playing at home alone.

I remember the first time I played in the music store when there were like 30 people there, I sucked so bad, I seriously NEVER went back. and just acted like it was the first time I picked up a guitar.

One exercise I like to do is to listen to a song, and without thinking about it, try to make up some "Lead" parts for it, most of the time it sounds pretty amazing, but I quickly forget what I played and can't replicate it.

It seems to me, I make good stuff, only when I'm not trying or paying attention, and I never really get the chance to write it down.
Also practice improvising and playing different styles, a good muso should be able top play as many genres as convincingly as possible, and be abel to knock a fairly decent and MELODIC solo off the cuff, and not he same solo eveytime.

Basically, GET OUT THERE and out of the bedroom man, that it my best advice. If you are as good as you say, you will hae no problems inding a band.
look man you seem pretty agro about the whole thing, start by chilling
u might be a good guitar player, but sometimes there are great players who cant write their own stuff.
look for inspiration, u dont just write a good song, it has to come from somewhere...
and dont get angry at other guitar players because they play in bands, nothing stopping you from getting a band together and playing shows man.
Epiphone SG G-400 faded
Fender Strat
Fender Frontman amp
**Dream Guitar**
Fender telecaster '58 heavy relic in blonde

"its in the key of D minor, i find songs in this key makes people want to weep."
"its called Lick My Love Pump"
Quote by thementor
Did you ever think they might have worked harder and set better goals than you? Not ragging on you, but many guitarists I know are angry at sucessful local guitarists JUST because those guys are out there, making the money and living the dream, and they are not. Then they go home and fap, and repeat their whining the next day.

HOWEVER, alot of being a musician is being at the right place, at the right time. Some people can play okay, but they're in a great band because the others take up the slack.

Keep doing what your doing. You're time will come.

Well see, it's like this, I play with these people I'm talking about, and they can't even play simple stuff. This one guy, couldn't even do the intro to Simple Man, he just drops his guitar down into D and slams on the ****, and found a band that way, I play in standard and like more of the musical stuff, not rhythm like Drop Ders/Cers/Etc.

In my area though, everyone thinks its cool to play in Drop D, so once they find out Im in standard they're like "Sorry, we don't play in standard" even if I tell them I have no problem with playing in Drop D, I just prefer standard, seriously, I think I'm pretty versatile when it comes to music styles. The only one that I have a hard time with is Country, haha, not talking acoustic, talking serious country. But I dont want to play that anyways.
Quote by raymo39
look man you seem pretty agro about the whole thing, start by chilling
u might be a good guitar player, but sometimes there are great players who cant write their own stuff.
look for inspiration, u dont just write a good song, it has to come from somewhere...
and dont get angry at other guitar players because they play in bands, nothing stopping you from getting a band together and playing shows man.

I agree. Why not start your own band?

Personally, I'd go with the name "The Mentor's".
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

Quote by Jim Harkins

Quote by fragydig529
Well see, it's like this, I play with these people I'm talking about, and they can't even play simple stuff. This one guy, couldn't even do the intro to Simple Man, he just drops his guitar down into D and slams on the ****, and found a band that way, I play in standard and like more of the musical stuff, not rhythm like Drop Ders/Cers/Etc.

In my area though, everyone thinks its cool to play in Drop D, so once they find out Im in standard they're like "Sorry, we don't play in standard" even if I tell them I have no problem with playing in Drop D, I just prefer standard, seriously, I think I'm pretty versatile when it comes to music styles. The only one that I have a hard time with is Country, haha, not talking acoustic, talking serious country. But I dont want to play that anyways.

Meh. I dislike Drop D'ers. Sixteenth Notes and all...

But anyway, you're not doing anything wrong. You just have to put more time and effort into these things.

Which reminds me I have school tomorrow...

*passes out*
Quote by Capt_Clarkson

Quote by Jim Harkins

Well this one kid is wanting me to start one with him, but that leads back to my main question, I'm at a lose for inspiration, even though my life is pretty **** right now, everyone turning their back to me and making me feel low, even my own brother.

I'm actually kinda worried about starting a band with this guy, because he'll see I can't write for ****. No matter how well I can play.
Quote by thementor
The more you write your own ****, the better you will be at writing your own ****.

Practice make perfect.

this. If I listen to the songs I wrote when I was like 13, I just laugh at how lame and cliched they are. Now my songs are (well I think so anyway) reasonably good
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
If you know other guys who write try writing together. You should pick up at least some techniques that way.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!