Alright, I have a Fender Stratocaster, which I love. I'm trying to decide on my next guitar early though so I don't have my fit of indecisive-ness right before buying like I did last time. I'm between mainly two guitars; The first is a discontinued single-cutaway semihollow my guitar teacher is selling for $700, and the other is a custom $825 Carvin SSS strat copy. I figure a semihollow would be a good guitar to compliment my so-far-all-solidbody collection of electrics, but I love a strats tone and I'm not completely sure about the semihollow, and the Carvin is a custom-made guitar.

tl;dr: Should I get the semihollow because two strats would be redundant, or should I get the Carvin since it's a custom guitar?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Nike-Man
Get a parker

Tried one of those actually. Hated most aspects of it. =/ Nothing personal, just not my style.

Quote by Pac_man0123
Well, you can never have too many strats imo. I wouldn't go for the carvin unless you know you like the specs the person ordered it with.

If you see yourself using a semi-hollow enough, go for that.

Tis' custom-spec'd by myself. Not ordered yet, but I spec'd it out on their site to see how much it'd cost.

The thing is I can easily see myself playing a semihollow, but I've finally put together a band, and sed band is now doing some metal(for which I intend to buy a Metal Muff), and I can't see myself using that $700 investment in metal. ><

Nah, EMG's don't agree with most of my gear, or for that matter my playing style.

Quote by TSelman
Carvin.

Could I get some info on why rather than just a one-word answer?

Well... there are pros and cons to each

With the semi-hollow, it's something different. However, it won't handle really high gain as well. Not to say that they aren't versatile guitars, though. You can play pretty much anything but insanely distorted metal with them.

The carvin is obviously made almost exactly to your desired specifications. However, like you said, it's another strat.

Btw, instead of a metal muff, i'd suggest saving a bit and getting a vypyr 15 unless you plan on gigging metal songs soon.
Hmm...eh, I guess I'll just see how things go; if my guitar teacher falls back in love with the semihollow(quite possible; it used o be his main guitar), I'll go for the Carvin, and if not I'll get the semihollow since I already have a strat. Thanks for the help man.

And yeah, we're hoping to gig before the end of the summer, so a Vypyr 15 wouldn't cut it.