Ok...
I'm thinking about getting a new guitar
Of course i will have to save for it but im torn between a Gibson Firebird or a Gibson Explorer

Not sure which is better

Any advice?
-Gear-
Gibson Firebird Studio 2004 Cherry red
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Alpine White
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

Marshall Valvestate 30 watts
Well Firebirds are very original. And Explorers are a little awkward to play sitting down but they're amazing none the less.

I guess it's just your preference man I'd definitely go with a gibson firebird, simply because they're in small abudance and most guitarist never use them so..originality right there. Jimmy Page has his Les pauls, Angus young has his SG, You have your firebird.

See the connection?:P
I don't find Explorers awkward to play sitting down, seems easy enough to me.

They're both nice guitars... Firebirds have the extra pickup and tremolo, and they're very original, they're beautiful guitars. But so is the Explorer.

I say that you'd win either way. I'll say the Firebird for originality's sake.
You gotta point. Explorers aren't played much either I've seen one guitarist SERIOUSLY use an explorer as they're main axe i'm pretty sure it was the guitarist for Lynard Skynard, but I can't be positive.

Either way man it's your choice. I'd also big the firebird for how beautiful they are, I'm not sure how many colors the explorer comes in, but if i were you I'd play both A LOT at GC or a guitar place close by just to see what each one is like
The Firebird will have a slightly bassier tone naturally, and those minihumbuckers have a sound all of their own. Great for anything up to hard rock, but if you ever play any kind of metal the Explorer will be better.

Really I think it comes down to if you like the extra body mass and minihumbuckers of the Firebird or not, since the Explorer is quite a standard hard rock/metal guitar anyway you know what you're getting with it.

My personal pick would be the Firebird, simply because it is slightly more versatile I believe, and it is a little different.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
+1 to Fibble (like always )

I personally love the firebird.

In this case, it's not a question of which one is "better" as much as which one do you like more?

Try them out, listen to some videos of people playing them, and decide which you think you'd be better off with.
i'd go with the firebird but i've always been partial to mini humbuckers and that sexy as hell shape
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm leaning towards firebird.. I dont really play metal kinda stuff so firebird sounds better

Now i have to save up which will take a while
haha
-Gear-
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

If it makes any difference, and I should've mentioned it earlier, but I notice you have Dave Grohl in your avatar - I think I've seen him use an Explorer a couple of times, but I've seen him use a Firebird much more often than anything else.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I'll say explorer, always loved them
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I have an explorer and I love it...but they really are two totally different beasts. Both are very nice guitars and have a great tone, but the firebird is much more original. I personally think is is ugly as hell, but I find the firebird sexy as can be...wierd huh? Anyways, I think the explorer is slightly more versatile, but if you don't don't play much metal-type stuff I would go with the firebird. If you want to play metal stuff go with the explorer. The explorer can really do it all...except jazz.
joshuaestock.com
Quote by MrFlibble
If it makes any difference, and I should've mentioned it earlier, but I notice you have Dave Grohl in your avatar - I think I've seen him use an Explorer a couple of times, but I've seen him use a Firebird much more often than anything else.

haha yes it does make a difference, Dave is the whole reason i want a Firebird or Explorer
Thats why its hard to choose because both him and Chris Shiflett use Firebirds and Explorers

I think they use firebird more often though and from what people have said the Explorer is more for metal, and i sont play metal
-Gear-
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

Quote by SGlover69
You gotta point. Explorers aren't played much either I've seen one guitarist SERIOUSLY use an explorer as they're main axe i'm pretty sure it was the guitarist for Lynard Skynard, but I can't be positive.

James Hetfield?
Dave's got his own signature guitar now - IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I'm actually saving for an Explorer right now. I wanted a Firebird, but I love the look of the Explorer. I may end up getting an Explorer and a 335 too.
Click here

Quote by afrothunder666
Dave's got his own signature guitar now - IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I'm actually saving for an Explorer right now. I wanted a Firebird, but I love the look of the Explorer. I may end up getting an Explorer and a 335 too.

Ah yes Daves signature guitar is awesome! Bit out of my price range though hehe
-Gear-
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic

id go with an explorer, but i wouldnt go with gibson at all, overrpriced, overrated,and QC is pretty slack now
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
The firebird looks awkward some times... to me anyways ... depends on how you look at it. Explorer, just cause i prefer its shape, Played both style of guitars, just not gibsons, both are fine playing sitting down, but both will kill your shoulder...lol Allen Collins from skynyrd is the guys name if I remeber correctly... and he used a firebird first...lol, yah hetfield Esps mostly cept that one $5000-$6000 one he has now, its some custom one from some guy... cant remeber, The Edge from U2 uses an explorer, and the one guy from the scorpians (not shenkier the other one) uses and explorer.

Edit: forgot Johnny Winter uses Firebirds.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Tango616
id go with an explorer, but i wouldnt go with gibson at all, overrpriced, overrated,and QC is pretty slack now

Ahh yes they are expencive but i like Gibsons... I'v never played a fender thats sounded how i want
-Gear-
SG Copy
Ibanez TR
Fender DG acoustic