Hey guys

My band have just recorded 3 songs this past week, and I've tried my best at mixing them. They're uploaded on myspace, the first 3 songs, not the live one.

http://www.myspace.com/fridaynightsareforjunkies

They were recorded in a cramped room with a boss micro br, using it's inbuilt mic. The guitars were going through a Spider 3...
Couldn't use my 6505 'cause the cab I have for it sucks.
The vocals weren't fully recorded either due to the lack of us having a pre amp or mixer or w/ever to put the mic trhough.

I think it's pretty good for how it was recorded though :P

Any advice on what I could do to make it sound a bit better?

Thanks

My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Last edited by FNAFJ at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by FNAFJ
Hey guys

My band have just recorded 3 songs this past week, and I've tried my best at mixing them. They're uploaded on myspace, the first 3 songs, not the live one.

They were recorded in a cramped room with a boss micro br, using it's inbuilt mic. The guitars were going through a Spider 3...
The vocals weren't fully recorded either due to the lack of us having a pre amp or mixer or w/ever to put the mic trhough.

Thanks

The vocals from what I can tell, are terrible. Generic inhales are never a good idea.

The recording is so bad (quality wise) that you can barely make much of it out, except that your drummer needs to learn how to play in time. The melodic riff at about 1:00 in the first song is actually pretty audible and very cool, though. It's hard to make much out, though. The intro to the second riff reminds me a lot of Nile. I don't know if I'd call you guys grind-core at all (which is fine). Good intro.

Musically you guys have some cool ideas, but your drummer needs to work on timing. Your guitarists seem pretty good, but I can't tell if they are clean or not because of the recording quality. Bass is inaudible.

As far as suggestions, I'd say re-record this with actual recording gear. Don't waste time recording like this. I'm not trying to be harsh, but take my advice from personal experience, recording super low quality demos is a BAD idea. Just save up some cash for some real gear and then put yourself out there.

C4C - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1033681
Okay, not my sort of thing, but:

The recordings are not on your side. They would have probably sounded better just recording through a mini disc recorder live. It sounds like a wash of "djjjjjjjjjj" all you can make out of the drums is some cymbal and occasional snare and toms.

From what I can tell though, there is potential. But it's not coming across well in these recordings.

On recording:

You don't need fancy gear to make good recordings! You can get by with a ****ty one channel mixer if you know your stuff. Through this you can do guitars, bass, vocals, and anything else thats just a one input. (One at a time). Don't do it all at once if you don't have the right gear, space, etc. You'll sound way tighter this way. Chuck the guitars through Guitar Rig if you don't have good amps. Guitar Rig is great. It's well worth getting.

For drums - if you know how to record drums and have enough mics (toms, snare, hat, kick, cymbals, overheads, etc.) then by all means, do it. Spend time laying the drums, do it after you've done guitars etc, and do it to a click track.

Another option for drums is to use digital drums, it's OK for demos.

Another option is hitting up a local studio, I usually head down to the cheapest studio in town and lay all my drum tracks, then take them home and mix them into my tracks. Just find a small studio with a guy that knows his stuff. Could be a semi studio. Whatever. It's worth pulling a bit of money to get good drums. They make the tracks a lot of the time.

A few words on your myspace:

- Get rid of the "We're a bebo band" joke thing. Lame. Un-needed, unprofessional.
- There's no need to list your Ex members unless they are really well known, or whatever.
- No-one needs to know your bands equipment unless you are guys are a very well known band, or if it's legendary gear. But yeah, listing your practice amps under gear is just stupid.

If you want to get gigs and start taking this seriously, then revamp your myspace. Keep it really, really simple at this stage. Be a band.

Instead of begging for gigs, make your myspace a little more pro, and just say "For bookings & gigs contact [leave a number]". This leaves it open. You could have a manager for all they know. Make it seem like people want you to play with them, not the other way around.

For this you will also need to clean up your recordings. If you want specifics, please feel free to contact me, I'll point you in the right direction.

You can do a decent E.P on the cheeeeeap that sounds good if you know what you're doing. You don't want amazing perfect studio clean for your first E.P, but it has to be good enough so people will pay for it at your gigs, chuck it on their ipods, in their car, whatever.

Good luck
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by FNAFJ
Hey guys

Thanks

Hm, the recordings are pretty bad but I definitely get the idea. As Gordita Supreme said, the vocals are terrible. I'm sorry, that's just my opinion really, I'm not too much into that style. But you guys have some really good ideas musically. There are of course parts where I can't really tell what your drummer is doing because all I hear is cymbals. There was one part in the first song where there was a melody going on and I could actually hear the snare on 2 and 4 for once and I started grooving, it was pretty heavy and sounded awesome. If you guys could get some better recordings I would love to hear some of your stuff.

c4c: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039606
I also agree with the second crit that you guys should ditch the "we're so witty and ironic" song titles and attitude.

I'll tell you from experience that bands like that don't go far, or anywhere at all. No venue that books any serious band will want to book a group of people who seem to be egotistical and ironic scene kids.
Thanks for the crit's guys, you got any advice on what I could do to make the mixes sound better though?

That's what I've been having the most trouble with.

Also, ChrisBG and MaskedMurader23 you guys got anything you want me to crit in return?
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]