okay UGers. i've only ever had the tiny 15 watt amp i got when i first started guitar over four years ago. but that thing broke three years ago. thats right, clean guitar for three years, stop laughing. i've FINALLY saved up enough for a good amp. thing is i've never used an amp and know nothing about them and wouldn't have the slightest clue as to which one to get. my playing style is a lot of led zeppelin covers, some metallica and the like. what can you suggest for someone who knows nothing about amps?
Oh yeah i forgot, i have 1000 dollars saved up.
Last edited by skaterskagg1 at Jan 7, 2009,
What guitar do you have?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This might be perfect:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/983051745.html

There is a Peavey XXX head for $650, a 5153 for $1,200 and some Line 6 Flextones.

That looks like a really good deal, I hate combos, but that actually looks good to even me. Unless you need the headroom/want to impress everyone, that'd kill anywhere.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
^Depends on the individual amps. Halfstack/combo versions of the same amp will have the same headroom though.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This might be perfect:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/983051745.html

There is a Peavey XXX head for $650, a 5153 for $1,200 and some Line 6 Flextones.

that looks like a good deal and 50 watts is more than enough for me. of course i've heard of marshall before but is it good for metal AND bluesy stuff? remember who you're talking to here, a completely amp illiterate person here. oh and i have a ibanez RGT42FXQM, i like it.
Quote by skaterskagg1
that looks like a good deal and 50 watts is more than enough for me. of course i've heard of marshall before but is it good for metal AND bluesy stuff? remember who you're talking to here, a completely amp illiterate person here. oh and i have a ibanez RGT42FXQM, i like it.

yeah, I think you would be able to coax blues and metal out of it but like littlephil said, what kind of metal? A 5150 or XXX might be able to do metal better but won't be able to do blues as well so it depends.

I don't think you will be able to get modern metalcore type stuff out of it if that is what you are asking but maybe someone else knows more. Like I said there was an XXX on your local craigslist as well for $650. That would be the better option if you play more modern type stuff and can still pull of some convincing bluesy stuff even tho that is not what it is geared for.

For the type of music you have described so far that jcm would be ideal providing your not just practicing in the house. If you're not gigging maybe a 18 watt clone would be better? Just throwing that out there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.