So I've made the decision to transfer schools this upcoming fall so that I can pursue a degree in audio engineering. It's a bachelor's degree, but part of getting it requires you to minor in music. I think I'm really going to enjoy it, but I'm curious what I should expect from such a program (music minor).

I have a pretty good background in music and have learned how to read music for guitar in the past (not real difficult stuff though, beginner level), and I played trumpet in my school band for five years. As of the last few years I've been playing guitar in the typical non-sheet reading fashion. Mind you, I have a pretty decent understanding of theory thus far, and I'm always working to improve. Should I relearn how to read music for guitar to prepare for these college classes? Would it be beneficial to spend the next 7 or 8 months taking piano lessons? Or is it all universally applicable things out of books that don't need any instrumental abilities? Thanks for any answers, especially those who have studied music.
So you have been accepted to this new school choice, yes?

Take a look at what courses you'll be taking in your first semesters there, and ultimately, what courses you'll be taking throughout your degree. See where you are most likely to experience difficulty.

Also, check their program entrance requirements. Fine, you've gotten in, but those expectations will give you a good idea as to what THEY expect you to have in order to be successful in the program.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As axemanchris said, get a copy of the syllabus for the minor and see what classes you'll be taking.

Can't hurt to brush up on your music reading. From personal experience. A lot of the lower level classes in music majors and minors tend to be pretty basic. Learning about the different styles, history, and conventions for those styles. As you get up into higher level theory courses you'll start delving into the notation, learning the more complex aspects of theory. Melody, Harmony, composition...etc...

Take a few lessons for guitar if that's what you play. A good music course (instructor) will make the theory relatable to any instrument.
It's a pretty sure thing I'll be accepted, it's a public university and it's not that hard to get into. I got a 3.4 my first semester at the college I'm at now and if the ACT still applies that will help because I did well when I took it. But I'm going to visit and be interviewed tomorrow, and hopefully be able to get a copy of the courses I'll be taking because it doesn't show online.

On a side note, even if it's not necessary, would it be beneficial for me to learn piano? I'd like to learn for the increased understanding of theory that would hopefully come with it, as well as just being able to play another instrument. But if it would help at all with college then I feel I should start sooner rather than later.
It is almost always beneficial to learn piano, i know it is required in some programs.
axemanchris gave some good advice.
I don't know whether the system changes over where you live, but in Australia if you're anywhere past Grade 5 theory the theoretical aspect should be almost a breeze.
At least that's what I've been told.

Maybe concentrate on theory for a bit, just in case. Would trumpet have helped with your theory though? If so, that's a bonus.

Good luck & have fun!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Maybe concentrate on theory for a bit, just in case. Would trumpet have helped with your theory though? If so, that's a bonus.

Good luck & have fun!

All trumpet really did was make me familiar with reading music, treble notation, maybe improved my ear, etc. But learning theory for guitar, to play by ear rather than reading, was a whole separate thing. And I'd imagine piano would be somewhere in between the two as far as what skills would improve from it.

Thanks, I think it will be pretty fun. I'm really looking forward to everything, I just don't want to find myself behind the curve right off the bat.
Quote by Andrew07
it's a public university and it's not that hard to get into. I got a 3.4 my first semester at the college I'm at now and if the ACT still applies that will help because I did well when I took it.

I'm not sure what ACT is, but be careful about making assumptions. No matter what the 'typical' admission requirements are for general programs, they are almost different for music. Typically, the academic entry demands are slightly less, but you often have to do the following:

-audition
-ear test
-theory test
-interview

So you could have some yahoo with a 70% average getting into a general humanities program, but you, with a 95% entry average didn't pass the audition, so you don't get into the music program.

Make sure to find out what their expectations are.

Beyond that.... learning piano is never a bad thing. It was part of my program - a course called Keyboard Harmony where we had to read 4-part scores (including tenor and alto clefs... ) and play them on the piano. (I've got an honours degree in Music)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I am currently in a minor music program at my college (Western Michigan University). We have an awesome School of Music here and my minor program breaks down like this. I have to attain 24 credit hours to have this minor. You can take very basic classes to very advanced. From a class to learn how to play guitar to learning 1 on 1 with a jazz instructor.

There are many options to go about it here for them 24 credits, this current semester I'm in vocal development (singing), guitar 2, live music appreciation, and fundamentals of music theory. That takes up 10 credits of my minor.

These are just basic examples, ask an music minor advisor what you need. They will give you a list of credits needed, classes you are able to take, and possibly a breakdown year by year what you should take. I'm a business administration major so ya know.

EDIT: There was no need to try out to anything since it was my minor, but I may need to in the future for more advance classes.
is too young to be versed in such grown up ways...

please listen to my band at www.drawntofury.com
Quote by fierce1289
I am currently in a minor music program at my college (Western Michigan University). We have an awesome School of Music here and my minor program breaks down like this. I have to attain 24 credit hours to have this minor. You can take very basic classes to very advanced. From a class to learn how to play guitar to learning 1 on 1 with a jazz instructor.

There are many options to go about it here for them 24 credits, this current semester I'm in vocal development (singing), guitar 2, live music appreciation, and fundamentals of music theory. That takes up 10 credits of my minor.

These are just basic examples, ask an music minor advisor what you need. They will give you a list of credits needed, classes you are able to take, and possibly a breakdown year by year what you should take. I'm a business administration major so ya know.

EDIT: There was no need to try out to anything since it was my minor, but I may need to in the future for more advance classes.

Ya that sounds like a really enjoyable way to do things, pick and choose whatever courses you want as long as it adds up to the credit requirement. Hopefully the program I'm going to go through is similar.
Quote by Andrew07
Ya that sounds like a really enjoyable way to do things, pick and choose whatever courses you want as long as it adds up to the credit requirement. Hopefully the program I'm going to go through is similar.

Most likely! They gave me certain classes I have to take which was 2 theory classes and some other class. I have options to take electives like conducting, composition, music history, jazz studies, performance electives, multi track recording.

Some classes like basic music theory ones you can test out of and get credit for too. So if your up on your music theory (scales, triads, chord construction, and such) you might be able to test right out of them and gain a quick 2-3 credits or so. Look into it and ask them if they offer a exam to test out.
is too young to be versed in such grown up ways...

please listen to my band at www.drawntofury.com