Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't seem to do a search on '5W' for some reason. Anyhow, I'm looking for a new amp and would appreciate any recommendations on some to go and try out.

I play clean and blues stuff although I would very much class myself as a learner. I play a fender highway 1 strat through a 1979 park valve amp and use a keeley ts808. I love this setup and to my ears it sounds lovely both clean without the pedal and more crunchy with. The only problem is that to get it sounding really nice it's just too loud... I have to sit in the same room and get ear ache (I avoid this mostly) or sit in the other room and listen through the door but it's too loud for the wife and the kids really or turn it down and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

So what I'm looking for is a valve/tube amp that gives me this at lower volumes and I've been looking at the 5W amps available and am putting a list together so I can go try them out. I know I could get a cheaper practice amp but I don't gig, I just play for my own amusement so would like a 'nice' sound.

So far I've read about the Blackstar HT-5 (which looks great - is there any benefit to the stack over the combo? I assume not but the stack looks cool . The review I read for this makes it sound incredible value for money but does it mean that it sounds good or just good for the money?) and the Laney L5T (I played on one of these when I bought the fender and really liked it but was mainly concentrating on the guitar so didn't really explore it that much). I also briefly read about a mesa-boogie 5:25 but it's a lot of money and don't really need the 25 bit. Are there any others I should look at? I'm in the UK by the way.

As for budget I'd like to keep it below £1000 and while less is most definitely better I want to buy a keeper.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi mate, I am looking for a 5 watt valve amp too, just for practicing with and maybe doing the odd bit of recording.

The Blackheart combo does look good, I may be tempted to go for the Orange AD5 amp, with a 10" celestion speaker in it.
There is also the Fender Vibro Champ, I have heard good things about that amp and then the Epiphone Valve Special (although most people have modded theirs to make it better).

Fender Champion 600 as well, there is a lot out there.

Just type "5 watt valve amp" into google and see what comes up in the shopping bit.
Hope the amps I listed help though
I really do like my valve junior half stack for home use,, although it is substantially under your budget. Paired with a couple of pedals and it really is quit nice.
Definitely go and try the Blackstar HT-5. It's not only a great amp for the price, its just simply a great amp! (imho). There's a few reviews and youtube clips to check out if you like.

It comes in 3 different set ups 'HT-H5' is the combo version and has a 1x10 speaker, the 'HT-5H' is the Head Version and the 'HT-5S' is the Mini Stack Version and comes with the HT-5H and 2 1x10 cabs.

So it's up to you. You can get the combo, the mini stack or just buy the head and get a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.
Quote by Jaksar
It comes in 3 different set ups 'HT-H5' is the combo version and has a 1x10 speaker, the 'HT-5H' is the Head Version and the 'HT-5S' is the Mini Stack Version and comes with the HT-5H and 2 1x10 cabs.

So it's up to you. You can get the combo, the mini stack or just buy the head and get a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.
Thanks for that. What difference would the different choices of cabs make to the sound?

Cheers,

Mark
Thanks for the other suggestions too

The budget is more of a limit than a target

I would like a bit more control than just a volume knob which puts me off the simpler amps a bit.

Regards,

Mark
Quote by dernian
Thanks for the other suggestions too

The budget is more of a limit than a target

I would like a bit more control than just a volume knob which puts me off the simpler amps a bit.

Regards,

Mark

I know what you mean by some only having a volume knob, the Orange AD5 has a volume and tone knob and the wide range of sounds you get from this is unreal.
It's probably one of my favourite sounding small amps, in fact it's a great sound anyway!

I seriously advise trying it out.
Quote by logan_in_flight
I know what you mean by some only having a volume knob, the Orange AD5 has a volume and tone knob and the wide range of sounds you get from this is unreal.
It's probably one of my favourite sounding small amps, in fact it's a great sound anyway!

I seriously advise trying it out.
You're right, I shouldn't dismiss anything until trying it.

Cheers,

Mark
Blackheart Little Giant, hands down.

Ultimate modding platform, easy to repair...

Sounds incredible stock too.

Durable design, and cool aesthetics.
Just got the blackstar HT-5 stack. such an amazing amp
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Vox valve tronix.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
me thinks a blackheart little giant? or something like that, it has the full EQ controls and volume and what not, and its around 10 or 5 watts, plus its all tube.

if you have ALOT of money to spend, theres a couple of matchless amps that fit your description, im a metalhead and i dabble in blues/jazzy stuff and i ****ing loved the matchless. it is purely incredible.
Last edited by convictionless at Jan 18, 2009,
If you buy today ot guitar center you will get $50 off the blackstar that will make the halfstack $350 I am thinking about geting this but I'm still debating on geting a vypyr.
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
you could just get a power attenuator and use your current setup

what it does is it goes between your head and cab and it acts as a master volume knob... so you can crank your amp, get that tone, but you wont make your ears bleed. they are fantastic contraptions.

definately check them out before you buy another amp
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I say take a look at the Blackstar HT-5... It is an amazingly versatile little amp... It would perfectly cover the genres that you are playing... And it has a Celestion GT10N-40 speaker in it... I have a quick demo that I did of mine in my sig... I would strongly suggest looking into it... To me it is probably the best value in the 5 watt amp range...
I played the HT-5 for 1 hour at the store and honestly could not get a decent metal tone out of it.. But with a pedal it can do wonders and it is awesome for clean / rock.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
I played the HT-5 for 1 hour at the store and honestly could not get a decent metal tone out of it.. But with a pedal it can do wonders and it is awesome for clean / rock.

I can get a pretty decent metal tone out of mine... Its not the greatest or anything like a Mesa or whatever you want to compare a metal tone to, but it certainly can do metal tones... It just takes some finness...
Quote by AcousticLesPaul
Blackheart Little Giant, hands down.

Ultimate modding platform, easy to repair...

Sounds incredible stock too.

Durable design, and cool aesthetics.

This guy is right. I have one and it sounds great.

However, I see that you already bought a different amp, so congrats!

Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by saltysnail
cheers dernian.
Pics/vid/clips soon?

Erm, possibly not... I'm still very much in the novice camp... maybe in a few more months

I did look at an attenuator but for a decent one it would cost me almost as much as the blackstar and having a small practice amp is dead handy anyway... the park weighs a ton. The blackstar also has a surprisingly good headphone socket which I suspect I'll use in preference to the v-amp2 I've been using after the kids go to bed.

I'd also be loathed to start modifying the park to be honest (even just adding an attenuator) as if anything were to happen to it the chances of finding another are virtually nil.

Cheers all,

Mark
Congratulations! I own one and really like it. It is perfect for our little log cabin. And I agree. It is not just a great amp for the money, but it is really a great little amp.
Quote by dernian
Erm, possibly not... I'm still very much in the novice camp... maybe in a few more months

I did look at an attenuator but for a decent one it would cost me almost as much as the blackstar and having a small practice amp is dead handy anyway... the park weighs a ton. The blackstar also has a surprisingly good headphone socket which I suspect I'll use in preference to the v-amp2 I've been using after the kids go to bed.

I'd also be loathed to start modifying the park to be honest (even just adding an attenuator) as if anything were to happen to it the chances of finding another are virtually nil.

Cheers all,

Mark

No?

Just get a Weber Mass...

Great attenuators, and don't cost as much as those overpriced hot plates.
the cornford carrera is pretty badass. it does do the cornford tone, though, which is kind of love/hate, and it may be a little too modern-sounding for you. i also have a sneaking suspicion that i preferred the hurricane (i haven't been able to try the two head to head), which is 18 watts or so, but the carrera is a little more versatile, in that you can switch power tubes. the harlequin is probably worth a look too if you don't need an fx loop or switchable power valves, but i haven't tried it... www.cornfordamps.com

cornell romany or romany plus- if i were you, i'd definitely try that too, it's a lot more fendery. It's 10 watts, but has a variable wattage selector which lets you get down to a fraction of a watt. excellent amp indeed. www.dc-developments.com

cornell also does a plexi 7 watter, which is more of a marshally sound. i haven't tried it, but it has the variable wattage thing going on too, so is bound to be worth a try as well.

i've also been hearing very good things about martamps, though i haven't tried them. they're more or less custom builds, and the prices are very reasonable indeed for handwired stuff which is built in the UK. www.martamp.co.uk

the laney lionheart is pretty nice too.

i've probably missed some other options, too.

also try the cheaper ones like the epiphone, peavey valveking royal 8, fender champion 600, blackstar HT5, just in case you like them almost as much, as that'd save you a lot of money.

after that, it's pretty much down to you... whichever one you like best.

EDIT: just realised you bought the blackstar.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 18, 2009,
I've got the Fender Champ 600 and can report that it's excellent, although you need to absolutely crank it to get it to overdrive. It's surprisingly loud too, with the wick turned all the way up it's almost audible over a drummer.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I'm gonna vote for the Weber attenuator.

I built one of his Mega Dumps for my Valveking and my New Blackheart Handsome Devil. Granted it is modified from original design as the line out did not work(got that working yesterday, yeah, I can finally start recording). It pushes those power tubes into sonic bliss quite well, even on the valveking. Tube crunch at reasonable levels. You will need to eq that bad boy as it does kill some tone but that for the most part is easily overcome.
Other than the price, you wont see much difference between the amps. BECAUSE they all use nearly identical schematics, very little difference between them
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: just realised you bought the blackstar.
It's all filed for when I 'need' another one though

Cheers,

Mark

PS. The amp passed the acid test yesterday... played all afternoon and neither the wife or one of my daughters came and asked me to turn it down and it still sounded good - big win
Last edited by dernian at Jan 19, 2009,
Quote by 1337void
Other than the price, you wont see much difference between the amps. BECAUSE they all use nearly identical schematics, very little difference between them

Yes, but in my opinion there's quite a difference in tone between a SE 6V6 amp like a Champ and a SE EL84 amp like the VJ or Blackheart.
Quote by 1337void

for the cheaper ones, possibly, but when you're looking at, say, the cornford carrera, cornells etc., then that's just not true...

Quote by dernian
It's all filed for when I 'need' another one though

Cheers,

Mark

PS. The amp passed the acid test yesterday... played all afternoon and neither the wife or one of my daughters came and asked me to turn it down and it still sounded good - big win

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?