Given that it's summer holidays and I just moved here, i felt I might do a little busking in the city.
A few questions first:
- What are the best places? (I'm assuming Hyde Park would be pretty good, I've heard Centennial Park is too)
- Is there anything I need to get (e.g. permits) first, or can I just take my guitar and play?

I've seen buskers and stuff before in Pitt St Mall, but I'm not good enough for that crowd.

So, got any advice?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm gonna be in Sydney around the 18th, tell me were you'll be I'll come visit... if you want.

*Cute Voice*

I'll bring a cookie... eh? eh?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
around the bus terminal which is near broadway and george street (the closeness is pretty relative, seeing as i live in canberra...) pretty sure it's just called central station anyways. train station there too, it'd be easy to get too / from.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Try busking in the Opera House?
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
manly corso. some dude was playin a banjo today lol. he had a mass beard. i gave him a dollar
Busking = playing on streets for money.

Better yet, perform on the Opera House!
I heard you need to buy a busking permit, I know nothing more of that though.

There are always buskers around Central station, where people have change handy, too either in the tunnel or outside an exit.

Hyde Park would also be awesome, less cramped.
I looked into it a while back, I remember busking laws being different under each local government(ie. the local council). For busking in the city, I do believe you need a permit that is clearly displayed, but for some reason i've never seen a busker with one. George street and pitt street are really high traffic, and another area that gets a lot of traffic is the
UTS tunnel near central(though there might not be much while uni's are on holiday.
In terms of places where there is less traffic, I'd try eddy avenue and elizabeth street(both near central). Theres a fair few spots around there where I see people busking.

Hope this helps.
Hey cool. I was about to start busking, too.

Some advice I've been given:
- Don't be too loud.
- Play some songs which people will definitely know. This will attract people's attention, and allow them to relate to your music more.

Good luck! Have fun!
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by ~Moby Dick~
what are you gonna play?

Mostly just chords and my own melodies and some improvisational stuff. I'm not really that good a guitarist, but most people don't notice. Plus, I'm obviously gonna do some stuff everyone knows when there's a lot of people (i.e. Wonderwall).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Mostly just chords and my own melodies and some improvisational stuff. I'm not really that good a guitarist, but most people don't notice. Plus, I'm obviously gonna do some stuff everyone knows when there's a lot of people (i.e. Wonderwall).

Yeah even that I'm Yours by Jason Mraz riff would work.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by shadow__666
Given that it's summer holidays and I just moved here, i felt I might do a little busking in the city.
A few questions first:
- What are the best places? (I'm assuming Hyde Park would be pretty good, I've heard Centennial Park is too)
- Is there anything I need to get (e.g. permits) first, or can I just take my guitar and play?

I've seen buskers and stuff before in Pitt St Mall, but I'm not good enough for that crowd.

So, got any advice?

Depend on where you busk you might need a busking liscence (if you go to circular quay, darling harbour, etc.)

The best places to busk IMO are Circular Quay and Manly Corso.

EDIT:
Actually you need a licence everywhere:
Yes. All buskers need a City of Sydney Busking Permit to perform on City of Sydney owned land. The Permit must be displayed at all times while performing. Permits are available for up to one year for a small fee. If you want to busk as a group each group member will need to apply for an individual busking license. Groups of up to 5 licensed buskers can perform at any one time providing all members have their license on display.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Business/ApprovalsPermitsAndNotifications/Busking.asp
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Last edited by andychalmers102 at Jan 7, 2009,
OK, thanks mate. I'll apply for a permit.
Quote by Cathbard
If it helps you with song ideas, these are the songs that I play (I don't like the majority of them but by the process of trial and error, these are the ones that seem to get me the most cash). These get me through about 3 hours without repitition...

Plain White T's - Hey There Deliliah
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
Rise Against - Swing Life Away
Sick Puppies - All The Same
Panic At the Disco - Northern Downpour
John Butler Trio - Better Than
U2 - With Or Without You
Tegan And Sara - Monday Monday Monday
Green Day - Blvd. Of Broken Dreams
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Jack Johnson - Sitting Waiting Wishing
Evermore - Light Surrounding You
3 Doors Down - Here Without You
Xavier Rudd - Let Me Be
The Kooks - She Moves In Her Own Way
Ben Lee - We're All In This Together
MGMT - Kids
Youth Group - Forever Young
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
John Mayer - Daughters
RHCP - Soul To Squeeze
Gyroscope - Australia
Pete Murray - Opportunity
Powderfinger - My Happiness
Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
Coldplay - Yellow
Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
Chairlift - Bruises
Nickelback - Rockstar
The Subways - Move To Newlyn
+44 - No It Isn't
The Beatles - Hey Jude

Some tips:
- Be well dressed. It actually gets you more money than if you make yourself out to look poor and needy
- Skip the intros to songs
- If you get a crowd, make sure you acknowledge them
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I think you need a permit,some guys on Pitt Street had to stop playing because they had a fake one.
I don't think they would check in the mornings though.