Im looking in to buying a laptop, and I will have around £600 to spend (although willing to go abit above if I find a pefect one just over budget). And I can buy online as well.

The laptop will mostly be used for surfing the net and gaming (nothing too extreme, football manager 2009, spore etc. New games but not realtime online play etc) but also I plan to do some basic recording on it (nothing serious, just my amp mic'd then a few layers on audacity, simple).

As mentioned in the title, im pretty much a computer newb, I dont understand all the different things involved with the computer too well, and therefore I do not know what things im meant to be looking at when looking for a laptop that can handle what I want it for. So pit, please can you offer your advise, thanks in advance.
look at alien ware, just don't buy it off their official website for it is greatly over priced, they start at about 1500 australian, which is like 720 uk so a little over budget but worth a look if you want a really good gaming laptop.

EDIT: in terms of what to look for in a gaming machine, you need a lot of ram(rapid access memory, no matter what people tell you it DOES NOT, stand for random access memory) , so you need at least 1gig, prefferably more, you need a pretty big harddrive, say 140+ gig, and you need a good videocard, for that I suggest you look around at reviews for them as in that aspect I am somewhat clueless. Hope that helps
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Jan 7, 2009,
i can play spore on my 2gig hp, but it has to be at the lowest possible settings. you might want to get something with more oomph if you want to run it on high detail.

its worth it, tho.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Okay, the cheapest Alienware laptop I can find is well in to the high £800s, way too high above my budget.

Okay, ive seen the following laptop: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0746930485.1231326805@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehadegdljifedcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=352913&category_oid=-27749

To me it seems to have more than enough RAM and harddrive, but then theres the graphics card, it has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450, which to me means jack-all. I have no idea what graphics cards are like, im more than sure it will play football manager 09, but what about Spore and potentially some new games that will come out eventually? Also while I am asking, is it easy to change a graphics card in a laptop? I know it is simple with an actual computer, but someone mentioned when it came to laptops, not all could be replaced, and those that could it is very difficult.
Don't get an Alienwank PC, or one from PC World as they are both poor and in financial difficulty.

As you can see I know my ****. I suggest you go and try a shop like John Lewis.

Finally, don't buy one "online" if it goes wrong 100+ stress points for you.
DON'T BUY ALIENWARE.

They're overpriced regardless.

£600 will get you a decent laptop however gaming laptops do tend to be on the wrong side of 800 odd pound. I don't think you'll get a decent gameplay experience without spending a bit more than 600.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Its okay, im not going to be running demanding games. I have seen another couple laptops that seem pretty good.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152233 - Cheap, but it has 4GB hardrive and 250gb RAM. AMD TurionTM X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151290 - Seems to have similar specs as the above, but with blueray, a better graphics card and instead of AMD it is Intel Core 2 Duo T5750, is it worth the extra £100 considering I have a PS3 and HDTV to cater for any bluray DVDs? Is there much difference between the Intel core 2 duo and the AMD dual-core?
you want a lappy with at least 3 nvidia 280GT's in it
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
make sure you have a seperate gfx card (internal gfx won't run for sh1t, and you should be able to get one for that price)

atm, they are selling a 2.0 ghz dual core/4gig ram/geforce 9600m gs/320 gb hard drive/16 inch laptop at a local store, for 700 euros (so that's about the same as your budget) which is better then those listed above.

do some serious research btw! get the most bang for your bucks and don't buy a pretty machine like sony vaio/hp laptops.

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by numinis
sh1t, 250gb ram, hope he's running vista x64

hahaha.

i dunno if vista could even handle that >.<

EDIT: 4GB hard drive so you would have to look at something other then vista or buy a better hard drive
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Last edited by cyclobs at Jan 7, 2009,
Okay...once again I dont have a clue about computers, haha. My mistake, both the laptops have 250gig harddrive and 4 gig ram.
Quote by Hakanku
Okay...once again I dont have a clue about computers, haha. My mistake, both the laptops have 250gig harddrive and 4 gig ram.

You clearly don't man, go to a John Lewis and let them guide you. Of all computer-selling shops they offer the best service imho.