see i dont know about you guys but usually when i make up something im not even looking at what im playing.
im just kinda jamming or whatever.
if i play something for a few secs that i like ill stop and try to play i again
and i have to play it a few times without looking . because if i look at my hand to try and tell what im playing...well then i cant do it hah

its werid

unless thats how it is for everyone?

anyone else have any lil quirks like that?
My hands...
I learn songs from guitar pro ...
after a while my hands know how to play it , but when i start to think what notes i'm playing i can't remember them but my hands remember the movements
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
I use both :p
When i want to improvise I will just let my hand do all the works and if I found a bit of it to be catchy I will just try to go back and remember it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah it happens to me occasionally, more often its crazy lead licks though.
Bit of both. Sometimes I'll sit at work and make riffs in my head, sometimes I just make stuff up whilst jamming. The jamming ones always turn out to be either Smoke on the Water or Nightrain though.

Working them out in my head usually provides better results
RULE BRITANNIA
i tend to make stuff up in my head, then get frustrated when i cant write it down or play it, then forget it later and curse til the cows come home...
Quote by symba05
Don't use nylon, it will get on fire.

Quote by symba05
If King Diamond's Thrash Britney Spears is NS black metal from Oslo.

Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX RAR
Samick Interceptor II with D Activators in both positions

AXL 70R
Peavey rage 15W

Zoom g1
Quote by speedmetalcore
see i dont know about you guys but usually when i make up something im not even looking at what im playing.
im just kinda jamming or whatever.
if i play something for a few secs that i like ill stop and try to play i again
and i have to play it a few times without looking . because if i look at my hand to try and tell what im playing...well then i cant do it hah

its werid

unless thats how it is for everyone?

anyone else have any lil quirks like that?

Yeah I write a lot of riffs like that.

Some are the result of random inspiration (i.e, I hear it in my head and I replicate it)

but a lot of times I just noodle until I find something neat
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
Your hands shouldn't be "making stuff" up - that implies you've got no control over what they're doing and therefore there's no thought going into your playing.

As a guitarist, your hands should only ever do what you tell them to do. If they aren't then you're not composing or writing, your just moving your hands randomly in the hope of stumbling onto something good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last time I checked my hands don't have a mind of their own. So its kinda a weird question, because either way the answer is You. My hands are part of me. It's almost like a paradox. Interesting question. I would have to say I do though, which because of the error, is confusing me now, because I can't think of how to answer the question. Thanks, now I'm confuzzled.
I'm Luke.
hah i didnt mean to confuzzle you.

basiclly when u come up with a riff u like....

does it feel like it just appears out of no where.
or do u take time to think aobut making it up as u go
In my case, my mind is better for making riffs. Then after I thought of the riff, I forget it when I hold my guitar.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

if you don't think about what you're playing your hands will just rely on muscle memory, meaning the riff it played that you think is good is something that you've played before. maybe not at that speed/key or with the same rhythm but that pattern will likely be the same as something you've done before.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
My ears.

I play and if I fudge something but it sounds good, I try to do it again. Once I get it, I then analyze what Ive done, then I usually write it down. I need to get a damn digital recorder.
usually sing it in my head...or ill just think of combining notes, maybe skipping strings and such and just play it and might sound good (gets a little more outside the box riffs)....cause my mind only seems to have the capacity to combine notes one string away
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
wow people come up with stuff in ways id never thought of...i gues theres more than one way to skin a cat
Your hands are the dependant variable, making YOU the independant variable.

You can think of a riff, and therefore make it up. If you didn't exist, your hands wouldn't exist, and therefore they do NOT make up the riff. They are a means of playing the riff.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
It really always comes from my head. It could happen when I'm trying some atonal/serial patterns, it could happen when I'm messing with a major or minor key. I always find riffs based on patters, but I haven't quite got to the point where if someone sang or hummed a melody in a key I knew, I'd be able to play it. I can't do that yet.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
depends. sometimes i hear a cool riff in my head and try to copy it (usually it sounded better in my head ), and other times i just play something random without really paying attention to what i'm doing, and it suddenly stands out and i start playing it again.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
My hands...
I learn songs from guitar pro ...
after a while my hands know how to play it , but when i start to think what notes i'm playing i can't remember them but my hands remember the movements

This is what always happens to me, when I start to think about what notes I should be playing I get them wrong but when I pay no attention they are like perfect
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I usually Sound it out in my head, then replicate it to the fretboard. Sometimes it doens t sound the same, but I can still make something cool out of it. I do both actually. I like my riffs simple at certain parts, thats when I let my hands take over. But when I'm writing a technical or difficult riff, I take it note by note. Then If I get stuck and I dont know where to go, I play it over and over and over again and let my hands take over the part that Im stuck at. Sometimes it takes minutes, other times it takes days.