I've been interested in building my own guitar for awhile. Can anyone give me any sites or explain how to do so and what i will need? And how much would something basic on average would cost?
www.projectguitar.com has a lot of good tutorials. If you go through the pages of this forum, and have a look at any threads with the word "build" in the title, you will find good step by step accounts of other people's builds, most of which have pictures.

How much it will cost depends on the tools you have at your disposal, your access to wood, and how good you want the final product to be.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy it.
You need lots of skills. Like internet searching skills and forum searching skills. I would hone those first.
If you make a promise to not post for a week, and hang out here and just read posts, you will have a great start to understanding what is necessary and whether you have the skills, time, funds, and patience to undertake a build.
lol mintsauce

read the hiscock book, it's pretty good. also, look up any build NOT by ormsby, jscustoms, or LPaddict. they're usually an amateur's first or second build, and let you avoid the mistakes they made.

although JS, LP. and Ormsby threads are amazing to look at. Usually, LP and js will answer questions you PM them about
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I wish I could get into guitar building, I just can't afford the tools. Sigh, I need to just go get my degree and make more money

Best of luck, OP, this place will teach you a lot
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
+ 1

Quote by Silent_Crow13
Tools are not a big concern if you have basic stuff. I presume you can use a table saw instead of a band saw?"

No you cant, table saw blades are thick for cutting staight lines, bandsaw blades are thin and can go round corners. A table saw might be able to do a shallow curve, I'm not sure.

You can use a bandsaw for table saw work though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Silent_Crow13
Tools are not a big concern if you have basic stuff. I presume you can use a table saw instead of a band saw?"

uh no you cant sorry

table saw makes rip cuts or cross cuts.. both of which have to be dead straight. it would be really dangerous to try and make a curved cut with a table saw

band saws can be used for curves and shaping etc

EDIT: beat to it, by like an hour.. my bad
Quote by Invader Jim
Searchbar, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

yeah.

I answer the "how do I build a guitar" question like five times a week.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Absent Mind
+ 1

No you cant, table saw blades are thick for cutting staight lines, bandsaw blades are thin and can go round corners. A table saw might be able to do a shallow curve, I'm not sure.

You can use a bandsaw for table saw work though.

Yeah, that's what I'm running into. I don't have a band saw, a router, or a number of other tools for things like fretting. I'm working on them, slowly but surely, but the power tools are what's really holding me back. I got into guitar electronics first because my dad has a great deal of experience with wiring and the parts and tools aren't anywhere near as expensive. I've bought most everything I need to dress frets, next is re-fretting, I think.
I Japanese Fenders
Last edited by GravyFish at Jan 7, 2009,
Have you considered doing a warmoth type guitar (partscaster/frankenstrat/whatever) Maybe you know somebody you could buy a guitar off of for cheap and refinish it, get new hardware, electronics, etc.
Quote by wyantsm
Have you considered doing a warmoth type guitar (partscaster/frankenstrat/whatever) Maybe you know somebody you could buy a guitar off of for cheap and refinish it, get new hardware, electronics, etc.

Yeah, I've done a couple partscasters (one in sig), probably going to do a parts-tele soon.
I Japanese Fenders