Page 1 of 4
I am arguing with my friend about this. He thinks it is real. He is also retarded.

Ranklesedit: Everyone head to wrestlinggonewrong.com for some awesome examples of what happens when well... something goes wrong.
It's real in the sense that the people taking part are real.

Are they actually hurting each other? Only when it goes wrong.
It's scripted, but real. You can't get thrown on the ground and not get hurt.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Take a look at them when they hit each other... Why do they stomp every time they do so, hmm?
well it wasn't animated, the people were real, therefore it must be real!!!

Sidebar: in all seriousness while the outcomes are predetermined, the moves performed require years of training and practice in order to execute properly without hurting yourself or others, so while its just a big fake show for people to watch, as opposed to say MMA or boxing, there is still a high amount of dedication and athleticism involved, if you don't believe i recommend you try to do it professionally.
i saw video and to bleed they have to get a razor blade and slice there forehead... i think I'd rather get hit.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
More real than that pansy Iraq War that's going on.

People really get hurt in WWE - not like those holidaymakers in Baghdad.
Well, coming from a former fanatic, it is very, very, scripted. You can tell. If you're like me and watched wrestling from the decline of the great tag team storylines, through the ECW/WCW invasion, and then watched Raw and SmackDown! get split into separate brands, you'll easily predict each wrestler's next move based on the style of wrestling he/she performs.

That being said, all the great wrestlers that even made it plausible to be real are gone or moved into some insane storyline far passed their prime.

Newer wrestlers' mike skills suck. Even the Game has lost his touch.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
Well, believe it or not, I used to wrestle and referee for PCW.

And I'll tell you, it is mostly scripted, partly improvised, and it is 90% real.

While certain things are hammed up (slaps, kicks, punches), most of it is real.

You just learn to handle it and not be hurt by it by learning stunt techniques, falling, etc.

So there you go!
It is totally 100% real. You can just tell they come up with those timeless one-liners and speeches on the spot. the raw emotion and passion is there.
Quote by breadstick
It's scripted, but real. You can't get thrown on the ground and not get hurt.
You can if you're thrown in such a way that lets you land well.

The funniest shit in wrestling is the moves where they have to lift each other and you can tell the guy getting lifted jumps into it to make it easier on the lifter.
Quote by Lewadra
Take a look at them when they hit each other... Why do they stomp every time they do so, hmm?

because they're using their body weight to strengthen their punches.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Look at Wrestlemania XIX - Behind the Scenes. Perfect example.

Kurt Angle talks about his decision to swap to 'fake' wrestling, and Brock Lesnar talks about his real-life injury.
wwe is as real as your d*ck

Actually it's all scripted except the falls and blood (i think) but its all very well done
Quote by supralightning
send your gf over to my place and ill give her a birthday present

Gear:
Fender Squier
SP-10 (i almost don't use it)
Boss DS-1
Boss RC-2 (very useful)
Boss GT-10 (hell yeah)
Good Headphones
Gameboy color

Lastfm
Quote by blue_strat

that guy has telekinesis.

that's his signature move.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by uk.mace
It's so awfully fake

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by blue_strat

that isn't wwe....it's tna
Quote by supralightning
send your gf over to my place and ill give her a birthday present

Gear:
Fender Squier
SP-10 (i almost don't use it)
Boss DS-1
Boss RC-2 (very useful)
Boss GT-10 (hell yeah)
Good Headphones
Gameboy color

Lastfm
Quote by Josh Shiells
Well, believe it or not, I used to wrestle and referee for PCW.

And I'll tell you, it is mostly scripted, partly improvised, and it is 90% real.

While certain things are hammed up (slaps, kicks, punches), most of it is real.

You just learn to handle it and not be hurt by it by learning stunt techniques, falling, etc.

So there you go!

this is the best answer I've seen in this thread. yes, match outcomes are predetermined. when they punch, kick, each other it's exaggerated. when they hit each other with foreign objects, though, they're actually hitting each other. when taking chair shots to the front of the head the receiver is supposed to put their hand up to take the shot since it can be so damaging to take the direct shot, but otherwise, it's steel meets flesh.
Quote by Tone Tubby
I am arguing with my friend about this. He thinks it is real. He is also retarded.

Answered your own question.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

It's scripted, but there is an element of risk, as has been stated earlier.

I prefer to look at it as a soap with stuntmen.

It could almost be an olympic sport. Countries send out two professional wrestlers (and a referee), who then have a match (the result of which wouldn't matter), being judged on athleticism, psychology, showmanship, etc.
hell no!

IMHO
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I like to wathc wraslin I tell you. the ****z real and i mean hit.
Whoof arted?
Quote by uctlaum01
this is the best answer I've seen in this thread. yes, match outcomes are predetermined. when they punch, kick, each other it's exaggerated. when they hit each other with foreign objects, though, they're actually hitting each other. when taking chair shots to the front of the head the receiver is supposed to put their hand up to take the shot since it can be so damaging to take the direct shot, but otherwise, it's steel meets flesh.
Come on, those chairs aren't made of steel, and the tables they get thrown through can barely hold the weight of a cup of water.
Quote by Minkaro
Ah yes, that would be why they've stopped taking direct chair shots to the head. Fake chairs could never cause concussions, which lead to...

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Minkaro
Ah yes, that would be why they've stopped taking direct chair shots to the head. Fake chairs could never cause concussions, which lead to...

concussions....or steroid abuse?
Quote by metacarpi

Don't tell him that guy's "finishing move" basically involved him jumping off the top rope and headbutting his opponent.

Quote by Minkaro

concussions....or steroid abuse?

Lol @ quote fail.

Concussions. The autopsy on Benoit showed that he had the brain of a 90 year old man (I think that was it anyway), due to the persistent blows to the head he suffered. The originator of the diving headbutt (Dynamite Kid) actually said that he regretted using the move so much.

This is why Christopher Nowinski is moving for sports (all of them) to take concussions more seriously.
Last edited by Minkaro at Jan 7, 2009,
I just figured it was a way for gay guys to oil up and do choreographed ballet with other men.

Ever see The Ladies Man?
Page 1 of 4