peavey windsor studio
6 9%
laney lc
2 3%
laney vc
15 23%
Voters: 64.
Page 1 of 2
hi all,is an all tube 15w loud for practice and litle gigs with drums without microphone?i play rock blues and litle metal,which amp is better?which amp is good for this styles?
15W isn't enough for gigs. I would say 30W, but I suggest 50W so you'll have some headroom
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
if theyre only small gigs without miked drums surely 15w tube should be fine
Quote by add666
if theyre only small gigs without miked drums surely 15w tube should be fine

I agree with that, as long as "pristine" cleans aren't really needed. I haven't tried the laney's so I voted SCXD. And I believe the Windsor is 20 watts iirc not that it matters.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 7, 2009,
Epiphone Blues Custom 30. Can't you also switch it to 15 watts as well?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Tiny Terror imo

they can get metally if you really need 'em to.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
The TT really should replace the Windsor Studio on that list.

Or a Marshall 18 watt clone is cheap too
A 15W amp will not be enough to properly match a drummer's volume. I have a 22W Deluxe Reverb and it is impossible to keep a clean tone while matching the drums. If you're running humbuckers, you'll need a more powerful amp to maintain headroom. My Deluxe Reverb will drive nicely with the volume at 4 already, not enough to cut through the drums. I agree that a 50 watt may be good. Better yet, just mic it.
First of all, what's your budget? That way people will hopefully stop saying TT, since you can get a classic 30 which would work equally well for pretty much everything, along with giving you some headroom (unless you're really hell-bent on having 15W).

I'm going with scxd, but I've never tried a Laney either.
Quote by pak1351
First of all, what's your budget? That way people will hopefully stop saying TT, since you can get a classic 30 which would work equally well for pretty much everything, along with giving you some headroom (unless you're really hell-bent on having 15W).

I'm going with scxd, but I've never tried a Laney either.

The Tiny Terror is no more expensive than other amps on that list.
I'm just saying, laney's run around 500 bucks as a combo, tt's are 450 as a head, in which case he'd still need a cab, or 600 or so for the combo. If you're going unmiced, why not get a c30 for the extra power at that price?

Oh crap, Athens Greece? Who knows what kind of selection they have over there?
Quote by eurotrashed
The Tiny Terror is no more expensive than other amps on that list.

Yes it is. It's like $500 or better new, used they don't go for much less than $425 whereas the BJr goes used at $325, the SCXD is $300 new. Not trying to flame or fight, the TT is a great amp but it is a bit over what one would pay for the fenders listed. IDK what the Laney's go for as I'm in the US and don't see them new, but used they are $300-400 from what I've seen.

Edit: Athens? You could very well be right euro, I retract...
I found plenty of Tiny Terrors used for $400 shipped.

My mint Korean Tiny Terror with JJ tubes was $400 shipped. You can get a cab for $200 or under.
15w can jam with drums but i wouldn't gig with it. i'd go with atleast 30. and as for the amps, the super champ XD is terrible. blues jr is ok but that's only 15w. you probably want to get 30 if you're gigging.

look at some other amps besides the ones you listed. check out some vox amps too.
They're hard to find. A V18 2x12 or V33 would definitely cut through, though.
I'd like to know what potion you pour into a BJr to get metal out of it. Mine just didn't like to go there.
Quote by Mike-T93
They're hard to find. A V18 2x12 or V33 would definitely cut through, though.

i played a school gym with my V1512 over drums it was cranked and sounded GREAT
I missed the un-miked part so I agree the SuperChamp is probably not the best option. It is not a terrible amp by any means. I've played one now 4 or 5 times.

and what is a 'litle bit of metal' by the way?

Is it the Laney GH50? That would probably cover some ground.
Quote by Farether
15W isn't enough for gigs. I would say 30W, but I suggest 50W so you'll have some headroom

tell that to jim campilongo.
he plays a fender princeton,(the best 15 watt amp in my opinion, one of the most recorded amps of all time) unmic'd, at every gig. and he plays it clean. he plays a blend of country and jazz music.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
well like i said i did my crate v1512 with a vintage 30 over drums in a school gym no mike..played some dream theater though so it was with most of the gain
ok 15w is not enough for gigs or practice i go for 50w but the choices is 2 or 3 for my budget:peavey valveking?kustom defender?
There are plenty of people that gig with a Tiny Terror over on the Orange forums. Like many british amps they are rated differently.
Quote by metalgr
ok 15w is not enough for gigs or practice i go for 50w but the choices is 2 or 3 for my budget:peavey valveking?kustom defender?

15w is plenty for practice & small gigs. I have a non-master volume 50w that can be dialed down to 3w, & I have yet to play with a drummer that can drown my 3 watts out, esp w/ an OCD in front. I still have to use a THD Hot Plate to tone it down. Like eurotrashed said, some amps are rated differently. I've played a couple TTs through 4X12s, & they'll keep up with just about any 25-30w amp. If you need loud cleans, then you'll need a bigger amp w/ more headroom.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
normally i'd suggest the blues junior, but i think you should try out the Orange Tiny Terror, that thing kills.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
How about a Laney VC30 as they're not terribly expensive (not here anyway), have a great tone and should have enough power for a gig?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
fender amps is very expensive for me,epiphone blues custom 30,peavey classic 30 laney vc30 which of this amps have better cleans?
hi all,i search for used amps and i found a Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior NOS,what yours opinions for this?
TS. Do yourself a favour and DON'T listen to all the people claiming 15watts aren't enough for gigging. Honestly, If you can't get enough headroom with a 15 watt quality amp over your drummer, it's about time you fire him:P At rehearsals I use a valve junior on a 2x12 at only 5 watts, and I can get get near 100% cleans when turning my guitar vol down. and is loud and clear over the drummer, and we play rock n roll so he's not touching those skins gently I will bet you anything that the people claiming the blues junior doesnt have enough headroom, never played a gig with it in their lives. I have done that several times, and no problems there. Really the important thing is for every one in the band to have a balanced volume, and I gurantee you will acquirre that with a good 15 watter. Should you play at a place thats big enough so you wont be heard clearly in the back, or on a different floor etc, it's not just you that wont be heard, its your entire band. and places that big will have PA system that you and your entire band can mic up to.

I voted for the blues junior obviously, for it's all out great tone.

My personal choice though in a combo, would be the vox ac15 at 600 dollars. Have you considered that?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Jan 13, 2009,
Orange TT.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
About kustom defender what yours opinion,i heard clips in youtube and the sound is very good,it's 50w cheap all-tube with warm cleans and i believe it's a good deal,blues jr is a very good amp but it's only 15w not too loud for gigs.
isnt he playing some metal?

why is blues jr on the list?

to try and play metal with it, over a drummer, you need to crank it and use a pedal.

it's not going to sound the way you want.

i suggest you get something a little more well rounded.

laneys, crates, peavey all make amps that can get you there a little easier.

i suggest you look used, if there's any sort of used market where you live.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I just started runnin my blues jr. through a 4x12 cab, and now I got the slight breakup tone...with the projection of a much bigger amp...It is still loud enough on its own for a small bar, but for metal I dont know....I get Van Halen sound with a crunch box, but anything more is a little muddy
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Im gonna jump 5 watts and say Egnater Rebel.....seriously...check one out. For the same price as a Tiny Terror Head, you can blend between 6V6s or EL84s and set it for anywhere between 1 watt and 20 watts. And goodness it sounds amazing!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Page 1 of 2