I have been looking into the Digitech GNX3000 device which is supposed to model a variety of amps and cabinets very closely.
http://www.digitech.com/products/Guitar_Workstation/GNX3000.php

I have been considering getting one of these and hooking it up to a power amp and cabinet that will not color the sound (to preserve what has been modeled).

Can anyone comment on how closely a modeling device like this one can model what it models. Is it indistinguishable?
The Setup:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Crate GFX-30
Vox AD50VT
No matter what it won't sound exactly like the original, because quite simply, it's not the original. The difference will become more noticeable if you get a solid state modelling a tube amp for example
ohai little sig.
I've had one of those in the past and TBH, it's not as good as some of the others. The Pod X3 comes to mind if you're looking for something that sounds a little better. Like Demonikk said, it's not going to be an exact replica of the sounds but it does what it needs to do.
I know it will not be the same because it is simply different, but I believe it's possible to reproduce something accurately enough that it will be indistinguishable in sound, and I think a tube amp should be no different.
The Setup:
Crate GFX-30
Vox AD50VT
Quote by The Raven
I've had one of those in the past and TBH, it's not as good as some of the others. The Pod X3 comes to mind if you're looking for something that sounds a little better. Like Demonikk said, it's not going to be an exact replica of the sounds but it does what it needs to do.

Did you ever try it side by side with any of the real amps? What power amp and cabinet did you use in your setup?
The Setup:
Crate GFX-30
Vox AD50VT
It won't be indistinguishable but it'll be usable. I don't have experience with the GNX3000 but I have a GT-10.

Here's my experience with my GT-10. I can tell the Rectifiers and Plexi's don't sound like the real ones do. But they are similar. The nice thing about them is that they're smaller, they don't need to be turned up super loud to get good tone out of them (you can do it when you adjust preamp setting). If the modeler is good, it's a great tool to creating a unique sound without spending a ton of money. It's the only way you can get a fender-like clean and rectifier-like distortion. Using the preamps in stereo also adds a little personality to your tone. For example, I run a Soldano with a marshall preamp and it's my dream tone. It would costs thousands of dollars to get that tone without going digitally, not to mention having it at a low volume level and without the need for space for 2 amps. The size, price, usability, and versatility are a great tool that any guitarist should have. Sometimes, you can't play guitar late at night because of the volume. But just take out the multi-effects unit and headphone it. Then you can play whenever you want to.

But like I said before, that's my experience with the GT-10, and I don't know much about the Digitech ones. But it is a lot harder to get a good tone out of digital
Roland JC-120

The best amp for modelling, just ask Johnny DeMarco
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by AllUrBase
Roland JC-120

The best amp for modelling, just ask Johnny DeMarco

after all, two's better than one
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by DarkDragon786
Did you ever try it side by side with any of the real amps? What power amp and cabinet did you use in your setup?

I wasn't running it through that kind of setup, but when it was going through headphones or direct recording I could hear the difference. I own a 6505 Half-stack and the models were meh, but usable, obviously not identical. After I bought the GNX Supermodels it really made the GNX sound much, MUCH better than it sounded stock. Theres just something about the... I guess the power of the sound a tube amp makes that can't be emulated, but you can get close. If you ever decide to get the GNX3000, PM me and I'll help you acquire the Supermodels pack.
Whatever you do, do NOT listen to anyone on this board unless they've actually owned one of these and used it along with the MFX Supermodels. Only then can you understand just how awesome the modeling is.

Let me start by saying, get the GNX4, not the GNX3000. The GNX4 has more features for not that much more in price. Its amazing how much it can do. The biggest mistakes people make when judging the modeling of this thing is:
1. Using the factory presets as their determination.
2. Listening through a guitar amp

If you play through a guitar amp, your amp will color the sound. If you listen through headphones or through a PA speaker it will sound 1000x better without the need to tweak much. I got rid of my old amps and now have a large PA speaker that I use. It changed the way I thought about amps. You don't need them!

It is critical you get the MFX supermodels. Words can't describe how much better they make the unit sound. WIthin 2 days of owning them, I was able to create tones I only dreamed of. Is it exact? No, but I have a 95% sounding tone of every single amp known to man and can make any sound possible. I would have paid $300+ for that single CD of amp cabinets they sound so good. Plus they give you a much better starting place for making your own patches than the factory amp models. When you throw on top of it the drum machine, recording and playback features on the GNX4, $400 is dirt cheap for what you get.

Whats sad is I almost sold the unit before I finally realized how great it could be. It just took some learning.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by GuitarDTO
If you play through a guitar amp, your amp will color the sound. If you listen through headphones or through a PA speaker it will sound 1000x better without the need to tweak much. I got rid of my old amps and now have a large PA speaker that I use. It changed the way I thought about amps. You don't need them!

Pretty subjective right here. There are some tones I like better through my PA, but not all by any stretch. The majority of my POD XT Live I prefer through a Valve Junior. So you really have to try this stuff. I haven't tried any of the amps this thing models, but i don't really care either. There are several amp/cab models that just sound great. Way beyond any of the standard modeling amp fair to be had out there. Try before you buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
Pretty subjective right here. There are some tones I like better through my PA, but not all by any stretch. The majority of my POD XT Live I prefer through a Valve Junior. So you really have to try this stuff. I haven't tried any of the amps this thing models, but i don't really care either. There are several amp/cab models that just sound great. Way beyond any of the standard modeling amp fair to be had out there. Try before you buy.

I agree, even the PA can change the sound a little than what you hear on headphones (especially if it has EQ control), but it generally requires less tweaking. I agree it does take time, but unfortunately with something as complex as the Digitech GNX4 it can be tough to try before buy and really give it a fair shake. I owned mine for 5 months and almost sold it before I realized how much more it could do. I just wish someone had told me about the MFX supermodels and the PA/Headphones thing up front and I would have had 5 more months of giddy fun.
There complicated to be sure. Had my POD about a year running a PA and found the Vj by luck. bought one for my G/F when she wanted to learn to play. thought to myself wonder what the POD sounds like through this. The whole thing just came to life and that was just the combo. I ordered the Vj head/cab for me within 20 minutes of plugging into that thing. Now I a/b between the PA and Vj depending on what I'm doing, but the VJ gets 90% of the use. Again that's just me. I like what I like others may differ.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD