We lost our bassist recently, and are performing at a coffeehouse in a month. My drummer doesn't think we'll need a bassist :S.

So, what reasons can I give him for a band needing a bass?

*Edited for grammar*
Last edited by TheIrishPatriot at Jan 7, 2009,
gives a nice backing?
Depends on the band really...if you have a lot of awesome basslines that fit the music then you'l need him but if your old bassist did single noters all the time then i wouldn't bother too much.
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Quote by TheIrishPatriot
We lost our bassist recently, and our performing at a coffeehouse in a month. My drummer doesn't think we'll need a bassist :S.

So, what reasons can I give him for a band needing a bass?

the bass fills out a song, providing a connection between the guitar/piano and the drum/percussion. it is the glue that fits everything together. the right bassist will take whatever you're doing and make it sound full, round, and complete.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
To fill out the frequency spectrum!
Bands just sound better with a bassist.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
the bassist keeps the rhythm for the guitarist the bassist follows the drummer and the guitars follow the bass.
it also makes the music sound better depending on the genre like with hard rock, punk and metal its allways good to have a bassist because it gives the music more of a punch. In funk and alt rock the bass can make a song sound interesting even if theyre just playing the same notes as the guitarist
Quote by froggyman
A bassist helps hold down the groove and supplement the drumming

That. Musicans love the thought of sounding better at no cost to themselves! Sell it to him!
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
The drummer is the one suggesting that you don't need a bassist..?
Interesting.

Play some songs without one (like in practice or something)
or maybe he doesn't understand the importance of a bassist yet?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Thank you, I'll use all of these reasons, and hopefully he'll understand :P. He's a very good drummer, he just didn't see the difference without a bassist, and I wasn't able to give him a real answer myself beyond '>.> You need a bassist! Rhythmz!'
The bass is the foundation between the drums and the guitar or other instruments. It fills the bottom. While you may not always hear a bass player when they are there--you will notice when they aren't.
Quote by anarkee
The bass is the foundation between the drums and the guitar or other instruments. It fills the bottom. While you may not always hear a bass player when they are there--you will notice when they aren't.

She's right. When I play roots and it's hard to tell I'm in the mix, if I stop it's immediately noticeable as the music begins to sound empty. In fact, the drummer I jam with hates not having me around if he has to play with a guitarist or two.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
well if your playing in my town(merritt bc) no u dont need a bassist cus they dont matter here. everywhere else yea u need a bassist for all the reasons mentioned above