i have an ibanez rg2550e and im looking for new pickups, i want a grungey & solo-y (satch sounding) sounding pickups. the guitar is a H-S-H pickup config so please help me out
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
Go check Joe Satriani's pickups.

although you know Pedals could probably do the same job if you get the right ones.

If you have an IBZ you just need some Versatile pickups, or if you prefer playing heavier sort of music then go for some EMG 81/85s, that's always a good setup, and just get some pedals to make it sound more satch than grunge.. or the other way around.

:]
You DO NOT want EMGs. Everyone on this damn site automatically assumes that EMGs are the solution: not everyone wants more and tighter low end, or pickups that are better for chugging tones and squealing leads... Some people want their guitars to sound like Pearl Jam not Pantara...

God.

Anyway.

Depending on your budget:

*Seymour Duncans: Probably a Pearly Gates or 59' in the bridge, JB-2 Jazz in the neck.
*DiMarzio: Satch edition, or maybe a PAF pro bridge and Air Norton neck.
*GFS: Alnico Fat pat (PAF) bridge, Classic 2 neck.

As for the single coil in the middle... Either just leave it or replace it with a:

DiMarzio Area 61, or Area 58, some GFS pickup that sounds good to you, or a Lace Sensor Blue or Silver...

The last option is my favorite because Lace Sensor singles tend to match up well in volume and harmonic response with humbuckers.

You don't want active pickups, Lace Duallys, etc.
You DO want: Alnico magnets in at least the neck pickup, passive pickup tone, good 500K pots, etc.

I'd suggest going with DiMarzios in this situation actually, as they tend to do something more like Satch tone without a lot of petals... To "grungify" them get a RAT or a Big Muff, that'll dirty them up to the point that you want.

All of this assumes you've got a good amp to start with though... If you're playing through just about any solid state short of a Roland Jazz Chorus you might want to look into amps. I tend to recommend Fenders + Distortion petals (or just jumping to Evil Twins) because that's what I've found works for me... But Satch tone doesn't really fit that approach. Something like a Marshall JCM 900 Combo or something would probably be best... I suppose of all the options a Traynor would probably be your best bet in amplifiers (if you don't already have something worth while).
Quote by stratdud39
wait satch is far far from grunge
do you mean you want like one pup for ssatch stuff and one for grunge?

yes lol
You DO NOT want EMGs. Everyone on this damn site automatically assumes that EMGs are the solution: not everyone wants more and tighter low end, or pickups that are better for chugging tones and squealing leads... Some people want their guitars to sound like Pearl Jam not Pantara...

your gonna tell this guy what he does and doesnt want?
EMGs arent only for metal, this guy has no idea what hes talking about.
go try a set out
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jan 7, 2009,
well ive got some ****y solid state vox amp dnt even know the model, but im lookign into amps aswell, i was thinking like a bugera 333xl cause here in australia everythings so expensive. i would get a marshall but just the head in australia is like $2500 sucks
i generally had the idea of a air norton in the neck and a tone zone in the bride but im not sure if i could get a satch kinda tone out of it