Hey guys,

I have come to ask of assistance...to cut a long story short, my brother kinda gave up guitar and as such, I've (unofficially) inherited his guitar and I would like some help identifying and valueing the guitar....

From what I can tell it's a 1990 PRS EG 3, but I'm not sure and I have no idea the specs or value of it so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Now for your viewing pleasure I present the guitar (sorry about the colour)

Full Shot:

Headstock:

Neck + Neck damage:

Back of body:

Basically, it's in pretty much perfect condition except for the finish that's been worn off the back of the neck and the usual battle scars, like belt rash and the like.....

I have no idea if it's been gigged, it wasn't with my brother but we got it second hand so don't have a full history

Oh and just so you know, it sounds amazing, has a very rich strat like tone and plays like a dream!

EDIT: Serial number: 050164
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Jan 7, 2009,
Sorry to bump again, but I'm off to bed so this will be the last time...if there's still no reply in the morning I'll leave it.

Thanks either way guys, I know that you will have helped if you could
Quote by TSelman
I can't help you out, but that thing is BEAUTIFUL!

lol thanks man, not bad for free is it?

I'm having a new guitar day on Friday (my birthday) so you'll get to see photos of my new PRS Custom 24 in amber sunburst with a quilted maple 10 top soon too....now that is really beautiful!
Damn dude, I wanted the red QM one in my local shop but I dont have $1200 lol
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Well I'll be sure to get some photos up here sometime soon!
Then you can all enjoy it....
Hey, just in case anyone is interested I've done some more digging on the PRS site and found this:

EG BOLT-ON SERIES I: 1990 – 1991. New squarer shape. Alder body, maple neck, 22-fret rosewood fretboard. EG3 s/s/s and EG4 s/s/h, scratchplate mounted pickups. Volume, twin tones, 5-way selector, PRS tremolo, Schaller non-locking tuners.

Which, as far as I can tell, is what this guitar is...I've still got no idea on the value but at least I know the spec list now
I've owned a 1990 EG3 since 1993 and paid £500 GBP for it then. In my experience guitars of this type and rarity are worth as much or more than their original purchase price which was around £700 in the UK.
They go for about $1300 in really good condition with the right features. That one will be less for a couple of reasons. First, it has standard single coils instead of the Fralin Domino pickups. Second obviously the neck damage. Third, no locking wing tuners.

I'm not sure which EG model it is - I don't think it's an EG-3 because I think those have dominoes. I think it might be an EG-1.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jan 5, 2010,
That guitar looks great!

Good Find!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
The pictured guitar IS an EG 3 from the first series which were made between 1990 -1991 .Later versions of this same design did get the PRS locking tuners instead of the Schaller non-locking type even though the Schallers are very good and I've never had any tuning stability problems with them.The single coil pickups used were sourced from Seymore Duncan even though they are not marked as such.
The guitars with the Fralin Domino pickups (which also only have 2 rotary control knobs as apposed to 3 on the series 1 guitars)are infact series 2 guitars which again had a short manufacturing run between 1992 - 1994/95,the series 2 guitars also had slightly modified body shape.
I hope this goes some way to clearing up any confusion.
Last edited by stevie1967 at Jan 6, 2010,
Thanks for all the help guys...I was amazed to see this thread come back to life!

And, just to clear up...I'm not planning on selling it, ever. I was just looking to find out some more facts about it. All I knew (before starting this thread) is that we paid £450 incl a PRS case for it in the mid 90s. So I was just wondering how much it was worth and if we got a good deal, etc. I don't really ever intend on selling any of my guitars, unless I end up really broke/run out of space entirely and even then it's unlikely as the only ones I would consider selling I wouldn't really get enough for them to be worth it!

EDIT: I don't know if I said this already, but I think it's a custom paint job as there is a chip on the back of the body where you can see some green/turquoise paint underneath
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Jan 7, 2010,
Just a quick note ,if you get hold of the latest edition of Guitarist mag you'll find that the US EG series guitars have been the feature of their used gear article this month .It was interesting to find out that only around 200 series 1 guitars were imported to the UK which makes me and idiotbox part of quite an exclusive little club.Also PRS only made around 2000 altogether (this figure is the total combined figure for both series 1&2 )so the chance of finding one for sale in the UK would be near impossible,infact if you look on Ebay you can't find one not even in the USA.
Quote by stevie1967
Just a quick note ,if you get hold of the latest edition of Guitarist mag you'll find that the US EG series guitars have been the feature of their used gear article this month .It was interesting to find out that only around 200 series 1 guitars were imported to the UK which makes me and idiotbox part of quite an exclusive little club.Also PRS only made around 2000 altogether (this figure is the total combined figure for both series 1&2 )so the chance of finding one for sale in the UK would be near impossible,infact if you look on Ebay you can't find one not even in the USA.

ooh interesting ^^
Quote by stevie1967

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...but I tend to frequent GG&A and riffs and recordings more than here.

But thanks...that it really interesting, I'm gonna have to head out and get that magazine tomorrow, hopefully it's not out of stores yet. Any chance you could tell me who/what is on the cover?

Also, I had no idea they were that rare...that's really cool! It's a damn fine guitar too, way nicer than any strat I've ever played!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212