So, I think I may have changed my mind (sort of) on what kind of amp to buy in the near future.

I was originally aiming at an ENGL of some sort, but, because I live in the US and very very few, if any, music stores around me carry them, I am kind of shying away from it for now at least, due to the fact there wouldn't be much of a way for me to try before I buy, and I could probably get a better deal on something made domestically. A buddy of mine who works at a guitar center told me I should consider either a Mesa Boogie or maybe even one of the less expensive Soldano heads to try. I guess there's also an older, 2 channel recto head at the store he works at he told me sounds very good, and better than the newer 3-channel rectos (true?)

Anywho, to be as simple as possible to the kind of tones I'm after, I mainly play melodic death/thrash metal, and some metalcore, along with a little bit of most other rock styles. For my heavier tone, I'm after something like the tone on the Sounding the Seventh Trumpet album from Avenged Sevenfold (Not sure what they used on that album).

Thanks for any input!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
You're gunna have to go try it out. It sounds like a single rectifier thats in the shop (50 watts) the 3 channel is the dual (100watts) or triple which is 150 watts. Some people like the mesa type sound, i myself do, but some don't. The ENGL is likely to sound a bit more aggressive, maybe a bit harsher than the american mesa, but its taste. I thought id never like a marshall for metal but i heard a TSL100 doing thrash really well, which is far different to my mesa's sound. Go try it out, mesa rectifiers are good for your type of music
If it is a older two channel recto it's definitely worth checking out! They sound much better than the newer 3 channels.

Also check the serial number on it. If it is a 0500 or less it is one of the more coveted of the older duals. It's a long shot that it is.
I think your right to go with the Mesa but I'm a little bias towards them.

Good luck,
Dave
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Yup, the guy said it was definitely an older dual rec, like a '92 model or somewhere around then.

I like some tones I've been able to get out of Rectos I've played out of before, but I'd need to play around with them more/out of different cabs (I'm not a fan of the oversize cabs personally, too much low end I think).

EDIT: Say someone buys this thing before I have a chance to nab it up. Are the single recs two channel or three?
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by boxcarmonument
If it is a older two channel recto it's definitely worth checking out! They sound much better than the newer 3 channels.

I have to agree with this... Mesa Dual Rec's sound a lot better to me then the new Triple Rec's... However, I have to say, Im not much of a fan of Mesa amps... Maybe it was because I have really only tried newer models, aside from the one older Studio .22 that I tried, but I find the distortion, while great for some styles, to be quite harsh and aggressive and the cleans to be a bit lacking... However, this is just my taste in tone. I do not really play thrash or death metal, but I do know that in those genres you need aggressive tone... I honestly think that there are better amps then Mesa's out there, especially for the price tag...

I think that the JSX combo is amazing, the 6505 is right up there with it. Most Bogner's can get good thrash tones, including the new Alchemist, and every single Engl I have played could easily do harder metal... Also there are, as mentioned, other more uncommon ways to approach hard metal, with such amps as Marshalls... I think you would be best to go to the store, and don't limit yourself to just one store, and ask to try everything that is in your price range... And don't think that just because it is cheaper then what you are originally looking at that it won't cut it for what you need... Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised with cheaper amps... But if your local GC has a loud room like mine does then ask to try them out in there so that you can really demo the amps to their full potential...

I'm sure you have heard the majority of this all before, but I think that it is a very vital piece of information when amp shopping, because we all too often become fixated on one amp and fail to look at anything else in fear of wasting time when we could find something even better then we expected...
depends how much you are willing to spend

Many people say a boosted older JCM 800 is the way to go for thrash. But for metal and all that, I'd go for a better, more boutique brand like Framus or Splawn.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
I've been playing through a Windsor head (close enough to a JCM 800 tone) for the past year and a half-ish (a little more actually). It can definitely pull off a good thrash tone, but I find it lacking for really heavy stuff. As a result, I've decided to go with a true high gain head. Another reason I want to change amps is because I want something with two channels. I used to A/B the Windsor with whatever we could get our hands on for cleans when I played shows in my old band, but I drive a smaller car now, so two amps would be too much of a pain the @$$ to haul around with my other gear to a gig, lol.

I definitely plan to try out more than just the Mesa, it's just that I'm considering a recto again, along with whatever else I can try out. There should be a good variety of gear at the store the guy works at, plus he said he can knock prices down a bit.

I dunno the exact budget yet, but I'm guessing around $1200-ish? I need to find out what the tax return is looking like first.
Quote by FlightofIcarus

EDIT: Say someone buys this thing before I have a chance to nab it up. Are the single recs two channel or three?

The Single rectos are 2 channels!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Triple Recto's are a waste. You'll NEVER need 150 watts, and 150 is not 3 times as loud as the 50 watt.

Get a 50watt Rectoverb. Has better cleans that the dual and triple, two channels, hand made to last forever. Amazing tones, especially on the Vintage channel (most people go for the ultra high gain Modern channel).

I've had tons of amps, and can afford pretty much anything I want. I still haven't found anything I like better than that rectoverb for what I need it for. Can play practices or large arena. That thing gets loud on it's own. For most gigs, you're miking it and running everything through a board anyway so it's mixed better for the audience and for your stage monitors.

Sure, I've found a few boutique amps that I like a little better. But at 3x the price, I surely don't like them 3x as much, just slightly better. Custom strat straight into that boogie, vintage channel, no pedals or anything - I can play on that all day (and do)
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Hmm. Good to hear. I do want to check out the 2-channel dual to see if it's really as good as people say it is, but I was considering the single as well. I'd never go for a triple, lol. A 150 watt tube amp is complete overkill. Have you tried any of the Soldano amps other than the SLO100? (Far out of my price range)

Thanks guys
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I've tried the slo, astro, deca and lucky before. Anything they make is outstanding, but in different flavors.

I'll also say that the specific tone I want from a soldano, i can get on the boogie's vintage channel (about 95% close).
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by music_mike
I have to agree with this... Mesa Dual Rec's sound a lot better to me then the new Triple Rec's... However, I have to say, Im not much of a fan of Mesa amps... Maybe it was because I have really only tried newer models, aside from the one older Studio .22 that I tried, but I find the distortion, while great for some styles, to be quite harsh and aggressive and the cleans to be a bit lacking... However, this is just my taste in tone. I do not really play thrash or death metal, but I do know that in those genres you need aggressive tone... I honestly think that there are better amps then Mesa's out there, especially for the price tag...

I think that the JSX combo is amazing, the 6505 is right up there with it. Most Bogner's can get good thrash tones, including the new Alchemist, and every single Engl I have played could easily do harder metal... Also there are, as mentioned, other more uncommon ways to approach hard metal, with such amps as Marshalls... I think you would be best to go to the store, and don't limit yourself to just one store, and ask to try everything that is in your price range... And don't think that just because it is cheaper then what you are originally looking at that it won't cut it for what you need... Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised with cheaper amps... But if your local GC has a loud room like mine does then ask to try them out in there so that you can really demo the amps to their full potential...

I'm sure you have heard the majority of this all before, but I think that it is a very vital piece of information when amp shopping, because we all too often become fixated on one amp and fail to look at anything else in fear of wasting time when we could find something even better then we expected...

I have the Bogner Alchemist and it can't really do thrash metal...it can do Metallica and can get some Slayer-like tones out of it (not like the 6505 and the recto but close). But that's old-school Thrash , the TS is probablly speaking about modern Thrash and stuff.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's