Hello guys of the 80s rock, shred and progressive board.

So, for my music tech AS level, I have to sequence (digitally recreate) Light My Fire (by the doors) in a hair metal style. I was wondering if you could tell me some key features of hair metal I need to include, recomend me some good bands to listen to to get an idea, or if someones already done a hair metal cover of Light My Fire, point me in that direction.

Thanks in advance!
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Use alot of power chords, a few palm mutes and wear some spandex.
SteamMaster wrote:

Toker420 wrote:
What is on that dudes face?!

its called pure awesome

Quote by Zolom
Get off my lawn ya young whippersnapper! Confounded *descends into gibberish*
try listening to some Poison or Ratt
i dnt know much about that style
but hope it helps
I agree with the above posts, some Bon Jovi and Whitesnake too. The guitars are usually quite simple (palm muted power chords) but with really sort of stylish, ostentatious solos and fills (tapping, fast runs, big bends). Use the bass and drums to hold down a sort of driving beat (think of the verse sections in Eye of the Tiger by Survivor or Hellraiser by Ozzy Osbourne/Lemmy) and the vocals should be higher than the orginal by The Doors. I'd recommend changing key as well.

That's my help for you. Let us hear it when you've finished.

Good luck
learn the chords to it first all the way through... Then simplfy it to power chord palm muted with some fancy lead work and bass following the rhthym and drums faster then the original.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
I will post it, but it has to be midi, so don't expect miracles
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
honestly speaking, I would refrain from rearranging "Light my Fire" in a stereo-typical 80s hair metal idiom - I think that would completely ruin a classic song.

from your post, it seems that WAS the assignment given to you, so I don't know how much creative freedom you have in that respect. But I would recommend giving a listen to a recent album that Infected Mushroom brought out - which is a reworking of a bunch of Doors tracks in a heavy rock/electro-house idiom. There are some heavy rock versions of for instance, "Break on Through" and "Love Me Two Times" with the trademark Infected electronic musings. I recollect they also had a straight up electro-house mix of "Light My Fire".

Check out the album, you might get some cool ideas there, and it has excellent production values obviously. But as an ardent Doors fan, I would plead that you don't make an arrangement of the song which sounds like Dokken covering "Light my Fire". Jim Morrison suffered enough in his life, let him rest in peace
Quote by Axegrinder#9
honestly speaking, I would refrain from rearranging "Light my Fire" in a stereo-typical 80s hair metal idiom - I think that would completely ruin a classic song.

from your post, it seems that WAS the assignment given to you, so I don't know how much creative freedom you have in that respect. But I would recommend giving a listen to a recent album that Infected Mushroom brought out - which is a reworking of a bunch of Doors tracks in a heavy rock/electro-house idiom. There are some heavy rock versions of for instance, "Break on Through" and "Love Me Two Times" with the trademark Infected electronic musings. I recollect they also had a straight up electro-house mix of "Light My Fire".

Check out the album, you might get some cool ideas there, and it has excellent production values obviously. But as an ardent Doors fan, I would plead that you don't make an arrangement of the song which sounds like Dokken covering "Light my Fire". Jim Morrison suffered enough in his life, let him rest in peace
Well it's either got to be hair metal or urban R n B. Which would you rather?
Bristol Rovers

Up the Gas!

Please, call me Joe.
Quote by templar08

Urban R n B! I could actually see that working alot better.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by templar08

urban RnB son!!!! jesus! don't even THINK about making a hair metal arrangement of it.

And what's even better, you can take "urban RnB" and cross it over with acid jazz sensibilities, or throw in some spacey funk in there, and it'll ALL work. Just listen to Snoop's version of "Rider's on the Storm" which was also featured on one of the Need For Speed games. It's a very well produced hip-hop track that weaves in with great subtlety, a slow funk groove with a phat bass line, and then cleverly samples Krieger's guitar and Manzarek's keyboard parts, and tweak 'em around with plugins. And Snoop's verses are interspersed with Morrison's haunting vocal samples.

(Most idiots slander Snoop for ruining a classic, but then they're inevitably the ones who've heard not more than 3 Doors songs, and don't know the names of the other band members).

STAY AWAY FROM MAKING A HAIR METAL VERSION OF THIS SONG!
Quote by Axegrinder#9
[
STAY AWAY FROM MAKING A HAIR METAL VERSION OF THIS SONG!

Hahaha you know how much easier it is to make a hair metal arrangement? Indeed, the urban RnB arrangement would be a lot cooler but it takes some serious producing and sampling skills to make it actually sound good.

For the hair metal thing you need basically just that big snare sound with a lot of reverb, heavily distorted guitar soaked in delay and reverb as well (maybe add some flanger and phaser) and if you want synth, then use that big "Jump" style three oscillator sawtooth synth.
Who the hell is created this project idea? I would include a simple 3 note arpeggio solo really fast ala Europe The Final Countdown. A matter a fact listen to the whole Europe The Final Countdown album it is certainly a classic especially their Ninja Song (Yes it is about that). The best part of that song was for me is when listening to it with some friends one insisted that the line was "Need to survive" instead of "Ninja Survive" unfortunatly he was wrong as it would of meant the track made alot more sense and deeper than it actually was. The problem with arranging in the style of hair metal was that the hair metal is more about the delivery, thus why it is hair metal, and you can't arrange that.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
My band did this!
Just think KISS and whack that stack. The look is the thing!
I have to do this project as well, on logic pro

We just watch everything from Bon- Jovi to Kiss on youtube

Why they ask us to do it in midi, I don't know... It would be MUCH easier with a guitar...
Another thought on midi us that I notice all the midi libraries are now restricted to non copyright material. So is this project breaking someone's copyright?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x