Page 1 of 2
**WARNING: LARGE PICTURES**

Hey guy, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've a couple questions for you. I have this guitar that I've been kinda modding, and it's sort of a "project" guitar. It's perfectly fine, and I love the thing. I'm wondering about putting a Schaller Floyd Rose on it.

Is this a good idea? Is it a good investment?
How much would it cost overall if I had it professionally installed?
What colour should I choose?

Here's my guitar:

And here are the colour options:

THANKS!
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jan 7, 2009,
its worth it unless you want to sell itim sure you know schaller make exceptional tremolos so i wouldnt worry about that.
but yeah, dont expect to sell the guitar for the sum of its parts
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Schaller Floyds are great except that your guitar is a hard tail and will require major routing in the back to install it. Depends how you want the Floyd to be installed. If you want it flush mounted then you'd have to route out a hole up top then in the bottom for the springs, if you wanna do pull ups and such and have it recessed mounted you'd have to route additional wood on top of the guitar. Just check how a Strat or a Floyd Rose equipped guitar is routed out compared to yours. It will cost you around $200 for the Schaller or so plus an additional $150-$200 if not more for the routing of the body not to mention you'd have to get your neck routed for a Floyd nut. Overall about $500 unless you do it yourself which I don't advise because you could easily mess up the scale or what not unless you know what you're doing. Not to mention you will change the tone of the guitar routing out so much wood and a Floyd makes it sound different. Not worth it, just save up and buy a guitar with a Floyd already installed.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
The guitar looks good as it is. Now if you don't care about spending that much money, maybe more then the guitar is worth then thats cool man. I mean its your money and any good luthier or repair guy can prepare your guitar for a Floyd BUT be aware that installing one will change the tone of your guitar drastically and you might not end up liking it in the end.
Buy the trem and the installation shouldn't cost more that $80
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
How will it change the tone?
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Buy the trem and the installation shouldn't cost more that $80

That seems a little unbelievable. Truly?
You're routing out quite a bit of wood and you're going from a hard tail to a tremolo bridge. Not to mention the Floyd itself slightly thins out a guitars tone.

Edit:

Hey I'm all for Floyds and as you can see from my guitars all have them and I love them but in your situation I'd think twice. What guitar is it by the way?
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Fryer Mike
How will it change the tone?

That seems a little unbelievable. Truly?

In the UK, I pay £35 for FR Installation into Les Pauls (That's full size ARCH-TOP LP's!)
I don't know much on the conversion as I'm not in the mood to check, but it's not to much more than $60?
I do, afterall have 6 LP's with FR's, haha.

The tone thins out a little & doesn't quiet sound as 'woody' as it did.

Edit:
Instead of a Schaller, get a Gotoh, it's a far superiour unit than any FR out there imo.
If you can't get the Gotoh, go for the Schaller in Chrome, why spend so much extra on another colour which you could do yourself?

Also, I think the Schaller units are made the same as OFR with identicle metals and sizings other than the post sizings.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
In the UK, I pay £35 for FR Installation into Les Pauls (That's full size ARCH-TOP LP's!)
I don't know much on the conversion as I'm not in the mood to check, but it's not to much more than $60?

The tone thins out a little & doesn't quiet sound as 'woody' as it did.

Wow. That's amazing. I hope things are as cheap here.
Instead of a Schaller, get a Gotoh, it's a far superiour unit than any FR out there imo.
If you can't get the Gotoh, go for the Schaller in Chrome, why spend so much extra on another colour which you could do yourself?

Also, I think the Schaller units are made the same as OFR with identicle metals and sizings other than the post sizings.

If they're so superior, why do you have 7 Floyd Roses? What's better about Gotoh?
The different colour are of no extra cost.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re

holy SH*T!! i could ship an LP over there, get a FR installed AND ship it back for cheaper than i could get it installed over here in the US! i should do that
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Gotoh and Schaller are queal quality... the route job is probably going to be easier on the Schaller due to the shorter lock bolts and smaller design of the trem. My advice though when fitting a guitar with a trem that has a hard tail is a Kahler... MUCH easier to route for a Kahler, and you have a greater margin of error. It will probably not quite hodl tune as well, but will be a good learning experience. On a Floyd, if you slip the route up, it likely will never be reliable. Another thing is you will never do something perfect your first time, so it is best to practice something like a Floyd route on a guitar you don't care about as a proof of concept.
I wouldn't be doing the routing myself. I would definately have it done professionally.
Quote by Fryer Mike
Can someone let me know the difference between Gotoh and Floyd Rose?

I'm pretty ignorant.

In terms of construction, they are similar bridges. Both have hardened steel knife edges inserted into a softer material. To some people, this makes them subjectively less bright than an FOR. You can also in theory replace the knife Edges but have no clue how you could do this. The Gotoh in general has a lower profile, though it has longer lock bolts. I think the saddles on the Gotoh are a bit easier to work on. The Schaller has short lock bolts and a compact size. Other than that, it comes down to looks.
Quote by Fryer Mike
Then I'd go with the Schaller FR.

sounds good. let us know how it goes

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Fryer Mike, where abouts in Ontario do you live? and trust me it will cost you a hell of a lot more then $100 for labour. Check out Warmoth.com for a Floyd
http://warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_floyd_schaller

those are the schaller Floyds. for $5 more (usd) you could get an OFR. its gona be a bit better and OFRs are known for lasting years and years.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
You gotta look at your costs and see if its even worth it. The Schaller Floyd is $165 on Warmoth right which is actually the cheapest place to buy one. Now take $165 and add at least $15 shipping plus $20 broker fee for importing it into Canada then the Canadian government will charge you taxes on top of that.
If you don't believe me, I got charged $60 extra (on top of pickup and shipping costs which was $185USD) in broker fee and taxes by the government when I ordered my Seymour Duncan Custom Shop pickup this summer, but only $120 when I bought a guitar guitar which cost $700 because it was sent through US Postal. If they send it with UPS or FedEx you'll get raped on the broker fee which is essentially some knobhead who looks at the package for 5min and decides what the taxes on it are, instant $20 fee or more.
$180 w/ shipping USD converted into Canadian funds is $215 CDN + taxes = $254 + broker fee and thats before any labour costs
Sh*t son... 260 bucks for the FR, then lik 150-200 for labour. 500 bucks? I'm pretty willing.
Quote by f22master
those are the schaller Floyds. for $5 more (usd) you could get an OFR. its gona be a bit better and OFRs are known for lasting years and years.

Schaller makes (or maybe made, I'm not 100% sure) the OFR. There is no reason to believe that two trems that are very similar, coming from the same manufacturer and both being top of the line models should differ much in durability. I don't own any guitars with any of those trems, but the few Schallers and OFRs I tried made an equally good impression on me.

I have a few questions myself, so sorry for hijacking your thread, Mike!

First, does anyone know how much work would be involved swapping a Fender AM Deluxe trem for a Schaller 2000? It's mainly because the trem arm of my current trem is getting on my tits because of it's screw in design (I know it's irrational to spend over 100€ on a trem because of that, but I want to do it anyways).
Would there be routing required? I don't want to do that.
http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp135041/Non-finetuning-Tremolo-2000.htm

Second, I heared a lot of good things about Gotoh hardware, but I can't find a site when googling for it. Anyone got a link for me?
Quailman, I don't see a problem if the spacing between the 2 pivot posts is the same. I don't think extra routing would be required as its just like a Strat bridge
Quote by DSOTM80
Quailman, I don't see a problem if the spacing between the 2 pivot posts is the same. I don't think extra routing would be required as its just like a Strat bridge

Unless you want the ability to pull back on the Vibrato unit, which then you'd need to route out a pocket under the unit for that reason.

Fryer Mike:
I'd class all my Gotoh, Schaller/OFR & Lic. units as FR.
3 are Gotoh, a Schaller, an OFR & 1 Lic. unit.

I've also tried Edge units, they are VERY reliable which is why I'm after a Double Edge.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
I don't think Quailman wants it floating like that. He only mentioned changing the bridge thats it.
Quote by TheQuailman
Schaller makes (or maybe made, I'm not 100% sure) the OFR. There is no reason to believe that two trems that are very similar, coming from the same manufacturer and both being top of the line models should differ much in durability. I don't own any guitars with any of those trems, but the few Schallers and OFRs I tried made an equally good impression on me.

schaller does make the OFR and the two are almost exactly the same schaller even says so
Quote by Schaller
Experienced gained from years of building the original Floyd Rose tremolos has been put into the development of this tremolo.

o, and here is the gotoh floyd
http://www.beyondeleven.com/Gotoh-reg-Licensed-Floyd-Rose-reg-Original-Style-p/gotoh-floyd-rose.htm

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Well, it should be a direct replacement, Strats are generally 2-3/16ths"
The average Floyd Rose spacing at the studs are 2-29/32"

Schallers are an extra 2mm on the 2-29/32"
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by jake911
Get the Gotoh, it has locking studs!

But a Floyd has them, too, and if a Schaller trem is identical to an OFR except for the baseplate like it says on the Schaller website then the Schaller should have locking studs, too, right?
the OFRs do not have locking studs. and neither do the schallers.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
not really. my studs on my OFR are a little loose and it still stays in tune for days

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Page 1 of 2