Hi-
Im thinking about getting some more effects pedals. I play mostly country, rock, and blues. I was looking at some reverb pedals and some tremelo pedals like the Boss RV-5 Reverb Pedal and the Boss TR-2 Tremelo Pedal. I ve been pretty happy with the Boss pedals i have so far. But, im about to purchase either a Fender Twin Reverb or a Fender Super Reverb, which have tremelo and Reverb on it. Note: on the amp, it says vibrato but its really tremelo. But, i really love the tremelo and reverb on the fender amps. Since im getting a new amp with those effects, would getting a reverb or tremelo pedal not be necessary? My second question deals with delay pedals. Curently, i have an Ibanez AD-9, which is an analog delay and i love it. In some country musician's rigs, ive seen analog and digital delay pedals side by side. Why is this? Maybe you get different sounds. Im looking at the Boss DD-3, digital delay. Do you think i should get an digital delay in addition to my analog delay? Lastly, my last question is about noise gates. I have a compressor pedal and some overdrive pedals that makes my amp hiss some. Do you think i need a noise gate? Is it something that everybody uses? Im a little worried about my my sound getting too sterile sounding, i kinda like the nitty gritty sound. Unless it makes me sound better like my compressor pedal did, i don't think the noise gate will be necessary especially if all it does is cut the hiss of the amp.
Thanks for your help-
^No, the sonic stomp is fairly useless, especially in the TS's situation. Is there a ton of hiss, or can you deal with it? A good noise gate won't make your sound sterile.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
ok you can decide whether you want the tremolo pedal after you get the amp and decide if you like the tremolo or want a different one...and delay, you don't need a digital delay unless you want a digital sound, if you're happy with your delay, you don't need another delay, no reason.
and noise gate- only if you have noise or want to reduce noise more, and after hearing your rig i doubt you'll want/need a noise gate.
Well, i love the reverb and the tremelo (called vibrato by Fender) on the amp that i want, which is the Twin Reverb. Nothing can beat it IMO. So, i guess that roles out those pedals. I just purchased a DD-3. I have seen both analog and digital delay pedals in peoples rigs before. I want the ability to switch between digital and analog delays. And now i have that. As far as a noise gate or noise suppressor, i do get a little bit a hiss from the compressor and overdrive pedals, but not unbearable. I don't have anything heavy duty like heavy metal distortion where you get a lot of feedback. Just overdrive pedals and the compressor. Does the noise suppressor actually better the sound of your playing or is its point mainly just to cut out the hiss of the amp when you are not playing?
One other question/opinion. I am thinking about getting a fuzz pedal to get jimi hendrix style sounds. I haven't had the chance to try out any fuzz pedals but have heard some sound clips of various ones like the Dunlop Fuzz Face and the Boss Fuzz Pedal and the MXR Fuzz plus the Fender Blender. But, i also own two good overdrive petals already. I have a Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, which is mild and muddy and the other is a Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver, which is brighter and can get pretty intense. I might be answering my own question, but with the gained turned all the way up on the Bluesdriver, it almost sounds like a fuzz, but more transparent and not as harsh, which i kinda like. Do you agree? So, do you think i need a fuzz pedal? I like the general sound of the fuzz, but i think a lot of the fuzzes at there are a little harsh for me a little more for heavy metal IMO rather than the vintage sounds i try to get. I ve done it before, but is it alright to have the tubescreamer on and the bluesdriver on at the same time? I do it and i think it sounds fine. I even get a more fuzzy boosted sound from the bluesdriver IMO doing that. But, do people do that?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
Hi-
Im thinking about getting some more effects pedals. I play mostly country, rock, and blues. I was looking at some reverb pedals and some tremelo pedals like the Boss RV-5 Reverb Pedal and the Boss TR-2 Tremelo Pedal. I ve been pretty happy with the Boss pedals i have so far. But, im about to purchase either a Fender Twin Reverb or a Fender Super Reverb, which have tremelo and Reverb on it. Note: on the amp, it says vibrato but its really tremelo. But, i really love the tremelo and reverb on the fender amps. Since im getting a new amp with those effects, would getting a reverb or tremelo pedal not be necessary? My second question deals with delay pedals. Curently, i have an Ibanez AD-9, which is an analog delay and i love it. In some country musician's rigs, ive seen analog and digital delay pedals side by side. Why is this? Maybe you get different sounds. Im looking at the Boss DD-3, digital delay. Do you think i should get an digital delay in addition to my analog delay? Lastly, my last question is about noise gates. I have a compressor pedal and some overdrive pedals that makes my amp hiss some. Do you think i need a noise gate? Is it something that everybody uses? Im a little worried about my my sound getting too sterile sounding, i kinda like the nitty gritty sound. Unless it makes me sound better like my compressor pedal did, i don't think the noise gate will be necessary especially if all it does is cut the hiss of the amp.
Thanks for your help-

Boss pedal's aren't really all that great, except for the delays. I personally prefer the amps effects but you should play the amps and pedals and decide which you like better. As for the delay, do you find yourself needing another delay? Don't base off other player's rigs. If the hiss is loud and annoyng, then a noise gate is inorder. I doubt you really need it though
Quote by atthedrive-thru
if you're worried about your sound getting sterile you could look into a bbe sonic stomp maybe

Lots of people say that sterility is the sonic maximizer's specialty.
Noise gate is a good idea if you get hiss, TS, but I would not get too many stock boss pedals because their buffers are known to be poor and they will eventually drain your tone. If you are happy with your delay, then you do not need a digital one.
I like my new dd-3 delay pedal pretty well and i get different effects out of it than the analog delay pedals.
My effects pedalboard goes as follows:
SRV Strat>TU-2 Boss Tuner>535Q Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal>Boss CS-3 Compressor Sustainer>TS9 Ibanez Tubescreamer RI>BD-2 Boss Bluesdriver>AD-9 Ibanez Analog Delay RI>DD-3 Boss Digital Delay>Amp

So, thats seven pedals. Four are boss. Do you think that is a pretty comprehensive pedal board for what im doing (Blues, country,rock)? I probably shouldn't get anymore petals. Are you saying if i have too many pedals, it effects the tone? With a pedal off, but the signal passing through, does it diminish the tone? Do i have too many pedals that it diminishes the tone? Im looking into a fuzz pedal now, but the TS9 and the BD-2 might be enough for me as far as overdrive/distortion. The BD-2 can get a little fuzzy when the gain is cranked don't you agree?
Thanks-
Quote by asdaven
I like my new dd-3 delay pedal pretty well and i get different effects out of it than the analog delay pedals.
My effects pedalboard goes as follows:
SRV Strat>TU-2 Boss Tuner>535Q Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal>Boss CS-3 Compressor Sustainer>TS9 Ibanez Tubescreamer RI>BD-2 Boss Bluesdriver>AD-9 Ibanez Analog Delay RI>DD-3 Boss Digital Delay>Amp

So, thats seven pedals. Four are boss. Do you think that is a pretty comprehensive pedal board for what im doing (Blues, country,rock)? I probably shouldn't get anymore petals. Are you saying if i have too many pedals, it effects the tone? With a pedal off, but the signal passing through, does it diminish the tone? Do i have too many pedals that it diminishes the tone? Im looking into a fuzz pedal now, but the TS9 and the BD-2 might be enough for me as far as overdrive/distortion. The BD-2 can get a little fuzzy when the gain is cranked don't you agree?
Thanks-

I say mod the Bluesdriver, axe the CS-3 and get a Dynacomp, and mod the TS-9 to original TS-808 specs
Change components within the box, solder new ones on, perhaps true bypass if you really care about that stuff (high-impedance low-noise buffers are better IMHO)

Modifications to the Bluesdriver and the Ts-9 can be purchased online from Monte Allums as well as instructional schematics for them.

I do not recommend unless you are ok with a sautering gun.
Well, who can i take it to or send it in the mail to, to do the the modding for me? Do i want to have it modded like the Keeley? Also, what makes the MXR Dynacomp better the Boss CS-3? To me my CS-3 is just fine, however its the only compressor pedal i ve ever tried. The Boss pedal i have is more expensive than the MXR Dynacomp.
Quote by asdaven
Well, who can i take it to or send it in the mail to, to do the the modding for me? Do i want to have it modded like the Keeley? Also, what makes the MXR Dynacomp better the Boss CS-3? To me my CS-3 is just fine, however its the only compressor pedal i ve ever tried. The Boss pedal i have is more expensive than the MXR Dynacomp.

Analogman, Keely, indiguitarist, there are quite a few people, try the gear building and customizing thread if you want some more names.

I personally think the MXR Dynacomp sounds fuller, however, if you like it, go with it.
Are all the mods kinda the same or are they totally different? Im not sure what to get done. The thing about the CS-3 is that its more complicated than the Dynacomp, with more settings, while the dynacomp has two simple settings. The CS-3 after i fooled around it a little bit i found what i like everything at 12 o clock with the attack at like 10 o clock and sustain no farther than like 2 o clock. The compressor is a subtle effect as far as i know. I haven't tried out a Dyna comp tho. Maybe i should? I also saw a mod kit for the CS-3, should i consider doing that? They had mods kits for delay pedals too or should i leave those alone? Im trying to get the best sound possible out of my pedal board with the pedals i have. One other thing, the power supply. I bought a power supply for the pedal board, it is totally silent. I plug it straight into an outlet. But, what if i need to plug it into a power strip? Do i need a special kind of power strip? With the special power supply i have, is that considered "filtered"? Its a BBE Supa-Charger Pedal Power Supply very similar to the Voodoo Labs power supply. The outputs on it are "isolated, regulated and filtered."
Whats this whole thing about true bypass? Do the pedals suck the tone when they are off? I have seven pedals. I ve told you what they were. Is this a tone sucker? And do i need a filtered powerstrip if i have a filtered power supply?
Thanks-
I always recommend the Boss OS-2 (distortion/overdrive) if you don't have it already, which you probably do ^.^
Well, i have the BD-2 Bluesdriver, sort of the same kinda thing, but less harsh as that one.
Quote by asdaven
Are all the mods kinda the same or are they totally different? Im not sure what to get done. The thing about the CS-3 is that its more complicated than the Dynacomp, with more settings, while the dynacomp has two simple settings. The CS-3 after i fooled around it a little bit i found what i like everything at 12 o clock with the attack at like 10 o clock and sustain no farther than like 2 o clock. The compressor is a subtle effect as far as i know. I haven't tried out a Dyna comp tho. Maybe i should? I also saw a mod kit for the CS-3, should i consider doing that? They had mods kits for delay pedals too or should i leave those alone? Im trying to get the best sound possible out of my pedal board with the pedals i have. One other thing, the power supply. I bought a power supply for the pedal board, it is totally silent. I plug it straight into an outlet. But, what if i need to plug it into a power strip? Do i need a special kind of power strip? With the special power supply i have, is that considered "filtered"? Its a BBE Supa-Charger Pedal Power Supply very similar to the Voodoo Labs power supply. The outputs on it are "isolated, regulated and filtered."

Mods can improve and alter tonal characteristics, nothing too drastic, usually just eliminate noise, and improve the sound, maybe add gain, or bite or change the dynamics.
If you like the CS-3 than thats fine. You may want to try the dynacomp though to compare sound quality.

Your power supply is fine.

The thing with True bypass is, that even though it makes your tone untouched, it can weaken the signal. It's better to get high quality low impedance buffers, but boss pedals usually do not have those. So you may want to look into a loop master true bypass switcher
My question about the power supply is if im gigging somewhere, is it alright to plug my power supply into any old power-strip? Currently, i plug it straight into a wall outlet. The mods sound actually what i want and for sure will get any near need for a noise gate. If i don't get the Dynacomp, i think for sure i will get the mod for the CS-3. Check out the Monte Allum's mod for the CS-3. It has great reviews. If i got the Dynacomp, id might want to do the mod for that and that would be more $$$. So, why not do the mod on the CS-3.