Hey

Would like some help deciding a amp amongst three midrange tube amps I;ve come across which seem reasonable.

Peavey ValveKing VK112 50w Tube- £270

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w Tube - £399

Marshall JSM2000 DSL-401 Tube - £375

Roughly the same conversion for dollars.

I should probably mention first that the Valveking is new, but the Fender and Marshall are from a electrical shop and appear second hand, but I don't have much concerns about purchasing second hand goods as long as they play good, those Fender and Marshalls models seem to be £500-550 brand new.

Haven't played guitar that long but do want to buy a amp that will last me a long time. Price range is around the above no more than 400. The reason I chose these 3 is because they were both at separate shops. Feel a bit awkward ordering online and currently I'm Amp-less, so need one soon. I did try valveking sounded decent, didn't have a chance to try out the rest.

As I'm fairly new my ears are a bit untrained to the a really good tone and picking out differences, and I don't have too much knowledge about amps, especially mid range ones, although I know i want a tube amp.

As I said before I do want one for the long term that's gonna get me the most for my money, there is a £100 difference between the Peavey and the other 2, but again I'm not sure, which would be the real bargain in the long term. I have Fender Strat, and play mostly in my room, sometimes with another friend. Don't plan to do any gigs soon.

I would like a bit of versatility in the amp out of those 3 as I tend to jump from genre to genre in songs i attempt to play, could go from classic/alternative eg Killers, queen, rock to blues, to anything really, apart from heavy metal stuff, not really into that extreme distorted songs (death metal etc).

So really gets me the bang for buck, which in the communities opinion has the better tones, versatility, and just a nicer amp to play with.

Cheers!
Last edited by Noir17 at Jan 7, 2009,
fender, the marshalls cleans are appauling and the distortion isnt much to shout about, there not really marshals, the valve kings are only good for metal and there not spectacular

the fender has amazing cleans, relativly good distortion, but has an effects loop and takes pedals really well

the fender is the best for the money, has the best tones, is the most versatile and is a gorgous amp to play with
Id definitely go with either the peavey or the marshall. Marshall has a great rep but personally I think peavey has a better tone. Once you get past the price, quality, and specifications its all about what tone you prefer. Just play them a bit
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
i would say go for the HRD. incredible amp for the money. i've played a little with a valve king, and a lot with the fender, and the valve king just sounds really dry and lifeless compared to the fender. and the hot rod deluxe can handle the levels of gain you were talking about...no heavy metal hardcore stuff, but just about everything else.

also, look the amps up on youtube, it'll give you a basic idea of what they sound like(but nothing substitutes firsthand experience)
Quote by lefthandman9876
valve kings are only good for metal

huh?

who told you that?

And I'm curious at this point, who does make the DSL?

TS (threadstarter) - do you gig and what kinds of heavy metal do you play?

BTW - versatility is the Valveking's middle name. If you got decent tones at the store, it only gets better after that. Most people spend 5 minutes with a VK at the store and hate it.

Never played a DSL, and don't know much about it.

HRD is a great choice too. Unfortunately, it doesn't do real well for hard rock let alone metal and is loud and heavy as snot. Nice amp tho, great for blues and rock in general.

Hit up the Valveking thread. You may need to do some upgrade and free 'mods' to make it better. Speaker sucks.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by lefthandman9876
fender, the marshalls cleans are appauling and the distortion isnt much to shout about, there not really marshals, the valve kings are only good for metal and there not spectacular

the fender has amazing cleans, relativly good distortion, but has an effects loop and takes pedals really well

the fender is the best for the money, has the best tones, is the most versatile and is a gorgous amp to play with

this is completely incorrect

the hot rod has good cleans (not as great as other fenders) and horrible drive its buzzy and thing i dont like it at all. and paired with a tubescreamer i can only get a dirty blues tone nothing. if you get the hotrod you need an array of pedals to make it "the most versatile amp", but then its not so versatile is it?

as far as the dsl is concerned, the cleans arent half bad and the gain isnt terrible. its much better the the TSL. it is not a jcm 800 by any stretch but with an od pedal and eqing you'd be in good shape

the peavey nothing can hit most genres but not fairly well.

you should look into other amps for these reasons and also because they are all too loud for bedroom use

look for a 15-30 watt tube amp

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I've no idea where some of these comments come from!

I've played all three and I own one of them so I have a reasonable idea of what I'm talking about. The Fender is a great amp with beautiful cleans and excellent tone. Despite the name, it's not really spectacular on distortion but who buys a Fender amp for distortion? Nevertheless, it's a good amp that will last well and you can always invest in pedals to give you decent distortion.

The Peavey I really wanted to like as it's so cheap but while it's far from being a poor amp, its cheap price does shine through in this company. It's reasonably versatile and can do a range of things tolerably well but unfortunately it just isn't really inspiring in any way. I found it to be a reasonable amp but largely forgettable.

The Marshall DSL401 is probably the best amp that Marshall make in the modern series. There is a Marshall thread on here somewhere (I saw it yesterday) and much the same thing is said on there. A friend of mine tried one last week in a guitar shop and described it as a one-stop-shop for great Rock tone. It has three channels that are all very good. The cleans are surprisingly good for a Marshall, with a lot more headroom than most of their amps, while the Crunch and Overdrive channels give that classic Marshall distortion. Any problems with the sound on a JCM2000 must be referring to the TSL series which isn't as good. If you go onto the Overdrive channel and max out the gain then it gets rather fizzy but other than that the tone is great. I play a range of music with mine and the only sound it won't do is modern Metal so you'd need some sort of pedal if you wanted to go that far but that is true of all these amps. The main reason I like this amp should be of particular interest to you. Generally you have to really drive a valve amp to get good tone but the DSL actually plays surprisingly well at bedroom levels, though I admit it improves when cranked.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Jan 7, 2009,
What about a laney VC30? It's the same price as the fender on your list. Maybe add that and a Classic 30 to your list, make a poll too and see where votes land. FWIW, I played the VK for 5 minutes and I liked it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
don't go for the dsl, sounded like garbage for how expensive it is
the valveking is good for a start, but you'll have to do some heavy modding to make it really good
the hot rod is good for blues/rock and cleans, but it won't get much farther in the gain department
as stated check out the classic 30, or the vc30, they will fit nicely
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
look at some 15 watters...ya dont need a gazillion watts with tube amps!!

I have a crate v1512, with a vintage 30 speaker...i spent maybe 350 on the amp and 100 on the speaker and install..amazing cleans, and very gritty distortion..couple that with my H1001 with emg's or my ibanez with dimarzios and i've got a great metal/rock sound
A VC30 is a good amp but it's not really for gain. The DSL is simply the best all rounder there
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Right, thanks for the responses so far. Now before i set the final nail in my decision I do wanna just ask one small question.

Is going for the Fender or Marshall over the Peavey worth the extra £100 or so, as in quality wise over the Peavey? What I'm asking is can expect to eventually hear a £100 difference between Fender + Marshall against the Peavey?

Cheers.
It depends on what kind of tone you're looking for.
The Fender has good cleans, but poor OD.
The Marshall has decent OD, decent cleans, but isn't really good at anything (IMO, doesn't excel at blues, doesn't excel at classic rock, doesn't have the gain for modern metal.)
The VK is a mediocre amp, with okay OD, and OK cleans.

So...Personally, I'm not a fan of all 3 amps you listed.
Another (and I promise) last question.

I've heard the bad reliabilities of Marshalls, and the decent cleans and decent distortions. I've heard the Peavey isnt all that good either. I'm for some reason tilting for the fender as people report it has a absolute excellent clean tones, but a poor distortion/gain effect.

So being realistic Im not gonna only just play blues and cleans (but will be playing 50/50). I am gonna be playing slighty distorted crunchy tones such as Muse's (eg Knights of Cydonia, Hysteria) or killers (Mr Brightside etc, Human).

Would I be OK playing crunchy tones from above said music on a Fender Hotrod deluxe with a Pedal such as the Boss DS-1 attached? Would/could i attain some closeness to those tones? Or should I just give up on the fender and go for the Marshall as it seems more aimed towards it?
Have you given Bugera a thought? I recently bought a 333XL combo and love it... they are right about your budget.
^no offense but he is already concerned about reliability. Bugera's are known for good tone, not reliability.

I would not buy an HRD knowing I was going to put DS-1 on it half the time. Some may disagree and I'm not totally familiar with the bands you listed but I just don't think it is the right amp. And I am a Fender fanboy and actually love the HRD for what it is. A clean loud blues amp.

Can you play these amps somewhere?

let's try this, I'll check craigslist.com if you give me your closest major city. Just for fun.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^no offense but he is already concerned about reliability. Bugera's are known for good tone, not reliability.

I would not buy an HRD knowing I was going to put DS-1 on it half the time. Some may disagree and I'm not totally familiar with the bands you listed but I just don't think it is the right amp. And I am a Fender fanboy and actually love the HRD for what it is. A clean loud blues amp.

Can you play these amps somewhere?

let's try this, I'll check craigslist.com if you give me your closest major city. Just for fun.

None taken, of course I have only had this amp for 3 weeks *Knocks on wood* I have no complaints so far.
Quote by Noir17
Another (and I promise) last question.

I've heard the bad reliabilities of Marshalls, and the decent cleans and decent distortions. I've heard the Peavey isnt all that good either. I'm for some reason tilting for the fender as people report it has a absolute excellent clean tones, but a poor distortion/gain effect.

So being realistic Im not gonna only just play blues and cleans (but will be playing 50/50). I am gonna be playing slighty distorted crunchy tones such as Muse's (eg Knights of Cydonia, Hysteria) or killers (Mr Brightside etc, Human).

Would I be OK playing crunchy tones from above said music on a Fender Hotrod deluxe with a Pedal such as the Boss DS-1 attached? Would/could i attain some closeness to those tones? Or should I just give up on the fender and go for the Marshall as it seems more aimed towards it?

The DS-1 is quite awful, IMO. Almost as bad as the HRD's OD, just fizzy instead of muddy.

The Peavey has great cleans, and has great OD, IMO. Don't know where you heard otherwise. It's got a sub-par speaker, but most of the lower range amps do, too - including that Marshall and that Fender.
I recommend checking out the Laney VC30. It'll nail the Queen tones, and do some awesome blues rock stuff. And Killers is cake - easy tone to nail.
Quote by LPlayer
None taken, of course I have only had this amp for 3 weeks *Knocks on wood* I have no complaints so far.

OK good, then you are familiar with BeerChurchs' 4 step program?

TS - I like the Laney idea too. Where are you located?
I got my Orange Rocker 30 for £400 used, look for one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30