Page 1 of 3
Okay guys, I just have a very brief question for you. I have an old, knock-around Squier, and I figured, "Hell, might as well not let it go to waste." So I'm going to do a pickup swap in the old thing. The wood is still good and the only thing I need to buy are the pickups and the pickguard. So, down to the real question: I'm getting a Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rail Stacked Single Coil, a Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker Set, and a Seymour Duncan SCR-1 Cool Rails Pickup. I was planning on putting the H.R. Bucker in the bridge, the H.R. Single in the mid, and the C.R. in the neck. Does this sound alright? More-or-less, WILL it sound right? Can I turn this thing into a completely versatile "from clean to metal" guitar?

If you have any suggestions on the placement of the pickups or getting different pickups I'm open to anything and everything.

Thanks UG.
To be completely honest with you, I dont think that its worth changing the pickups unless you also plan on changing all of the hardware.

Is there a reason why you are going with all Seymour Duncans? Have you looked into any other brands out there?
Sure that's possible, I've swapped pups in 2 affinity squiers. Maybe a SD "custom custom" in the bridge and some decent singles in the first two positions. I'm not a fan of the hot rails because to me they are "tweeners". Not quite singles, not quite humbuckers tonally either. I have a set of hot golds in the first two positions of one of my squiers and I'm pretty happy with them. I have not tried the singles you mentioned so I hope I was helpful regardless. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i agree with I Am Metal and Gregs1020.

also, what amp do have now?

what is your budget for pickups?

what is your budget for gear?

PS: If you really like your Squire then I think you should keep it btw.

also check out rockmonkeyguitars.com. Hand wound and you get a discount.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
To be completely honest with you, I dont think that its worth changing the pickups unless you also plan on changing all of the hardware.

Is there a reason why you are going with all Seymour Duncans? Have you looked into any other brands out there?

I have looked into many many many other pickups. I just particularly want SD's for this project. I have EMGs in my Epiphone SG Prophecy EX and they can kick severe ass when it comes to distortion and metal, but 1. They just can't achieve the clean tone I want when playing clean, and 2. For some reason, the sustain isn't the greatest, neither are my harmonics.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i agree with I Am Metal and Gregs1020.

also, what amp do have now?

what is your budget for pickups?

what is your budget for gear?

PS: If you really like your Squire then I think you should keep it btw.

also check out rockmonkeyguitars.com. Hand wound and you get a discount.

I have a Spider III 75w Amp.

I have no specified budget for pups or gear. I'll save 'till I can spend. I just want this project to be perfect.
uuummmm, well if you are dead set on new pups I concur with the Custom Custom TB11 and maybe Noiseless or rockmonkey (CoruroyEW's) stuff for neck.

I also often times ask people to call Duncan number off web site and talk it thru with them to be sure (especially if you are already headed down the Duncan path). They are pretty good about doing exchanges too which I really like. 30 days no question basically and with all the pups they have to chose from you almost can't go wrong.

I won't say anything about upgrading amp first OK?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 7, 2009,
why not put a custom custom in the bridge a hot rails middle and something really low output and clean/smooth in the neck? or get an HSH pick guard and put a Custom Custom bridge, Hot Rails middle and like a '59 or an Alnico II in the neck..

maybe even throw in a coil tap..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
uuummmm, well if you are dead set on new pups I concur with the Custom Custom TB11 and maybe Noiseless or rockmonkey (CoruroyEW's) stuff for neck.

I also often times ask people to call Duncan number off web site and talk it thru with them to be sure (especially if you are already headed down the Duncan path). They are pretty good about doing exchanges too which I really like. 30 days no question basically and with all the pups they have to chose from you almost can't go wrong.

I won't say anything about upgrading amp first OK?

Oh come on, you don't like Line 6? Or is it just the model? I absolutely love my amp. It'll give me an endless list of tones and the presets are amazing as well. Also, the thing literally shakes my house.
Quote by LSC300
why not put a custom custom in the bridge a hot rails middle and something really low output and clean/smooth in the neck? or get an HSH pick guard and put a Custom Custom bridge, Hot Rails middle and like a '59 or an Alnico II in the neck..

maybe even throw in a coil tap..

What's this Custom Custom you guys are all talking about? I have never seen or even heard of it until it was mentioned here. And explain more about coil tap. I haven't read much on those, how they work, or how to install them.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
What's this Custom Custom you guys are all talking about? I have never seen or even heard of it until it was mentioned here. And explain more about coil tap. I haven't read much on those, how they work, or how to install them.

the custom custom is the SH-11 model for the bridge pickup. It's a rock voiced pickup that is very cutting. A coil tap is instead of using both the coils of a humbucker, you can choose to use only one..takes you're humbucker to a single coil, but you won't lose your humbucker either..its selecting one coil then pop the knob down and you have your humbucker sound
Quote by LSC300
the custom custom is the SH-11 model for the bridge pickup. It's a rock voiced pickup that is very cutting. A coil tap is instead of using both the coils of a humbucker, you can choose to use only one..takes you're humbucker to a single coil, but you won't lose your humbucker either..its selecting one coil then pop the knob down and you have your humbucker sound

That would require me to get the DiMarzio 500K Push-Pull Pot then, right?
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
That would require me to get the DiMarzio 500K Push-Pull Pot then, right?

or switchcraft or you could go really cheap and get one from stewmac
Okay, okay. So my mind is flooding with ideas right now and I think I need to pull the plug and restart. Guys, just give me your suggestions for hardware in this format:

Neck Pickup:

Mid Pickup:

Bridge Pickup:

Tuning Knobs:

Bridge:

Other Harware:

And please keep in mind that I want something that can play from clean tones to metal tones. And I want this thing to be able to SCREAM. And have high-sustain.
Like I said, I want this project to be PERFECT.
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Okay, okay. So my mind is flooding with ideas right now and I think I need to pull the plug and restart. Guys, just give me your suggestions for hardware in this format:

Neck Pickup: Dimarzio Air Norton ( or a SD Alnico II)

Mid Pickup: Dimarzio HS-2 (SD Hot Rails)

Bridge Pickup: Dimarzio D Activator or D sonic both would be good (SD JB/Custom Custom)

Tuning Knobs: Standard strat v,v,t or is it t,t,v? either way coil tap on the neck and bridge

Bridge: a new 6 point tbh..

Other Harware:

as you can tell im a dimarzio guy..i think they are higher quality products..personally i have an X2N/Air Norton setup in my guitar and its great
Quote by LSC300
as you can tell im a dimarzio guy..i think they are higher quality products..personally i have an X2N/Air Norton setup in my guitar and its great

Thanks for that, man. But can you tell me what's so good about DiMarzio? And could you do a little comparing between your DiMarzios and SDs?
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Thanks for that, man. But can you tell me what's so good about DiMarzio? And could you do a little comparing between your DiMarzios and SDs?

IMHO dimarzio is a much better brand..higher quality, better sounding pickup. I was never really BLOWN AWAY by seymour duncan other than the blackouts...but with dimarzio i popped in an x2n in my bridge of my ibanez (baswood body, bolt on, maple neck, rosewood fb) and it came alive. i had a d sonic in my older strat and that sounded great too. overall i think that dimarzio is just a higher quality pickup.. i've heard of many people having problems with their sd's, while i've had my dimarzios for over 2 years now and haven't had a single problem.
Quote by LSC300
IMHO dimarzio is a much better brand..higher quality, better sounding pickup. I was never really BLOWN AWAY by seymour duncan other than the blackouts...but with dimarzio i popped in an x2n in my bridge of my ibanez (baswood body, bolt on, maple neck, rosewood fb) and it came alive. i had a d sonic in my older strat and that sounded great too. overall i think that dimarzio is just a higher quality pickup.. i've heard of many people having problems with their sd's, while i've had my dimarzios for over 2 years now and haven't had a single problem.

Ahh, I see. I haven't really been out there enough to know. I've only had 3 guitars so far, so I haven't heard many different pickups and what not. And of course, there's no local guitar shops where I live. But basically, what I was going for, is something very very clean, something incapable of metal or high output distorted tones. something that can just play absolute, pristine, clean tones in my neck, something just for crunch or maybe a little bit harder stuff for the middle one, and i just want something that can SCREAM metal in the bridge. Something that will kick major ass, won't get muddy no matter how low I tune my guitar, something for pinch harmonics, and something just absolutely powerful and amazing in the distortion family; something that can't even play clean tones in the bridge.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Ahh, I see. I haven't really been out there enough to know. I've only had 3 guitars so far, so I haven't heard many different pickups and what not. And of course, there's no local guitar shops where I live. But basically, what I was going for, is something very very clean, something incapable of metal or high output distorted tones. something that can just play absolute, pristine, clean tones in my neck, something just for crunch or maybe a little bit harder stuff for the middle one, and i just want something that can SCREAM metal in the bridge. Something that will kick major ass, won't get muddy no matter how low I tune my guitar, something for pinch harmonics, and something just absolutely powerful and amazing in the distortion family; something that can't even play clean tones in the bridge.

The setup i did earlier on your little pickguard would do a good job..or if you want some brutal tones go with an emg active setup..
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Oh come on, you don't like Line 6? Or is it just the model? I absolutely love my amp. It'll give me an endless list of tones and the presets are amazing as well. Also, the thing literally shakes my house.

trust me, keep on saving for a tube amp. you may think your amp's nice now, but unless you have a good amp, changing the pickups in your guitar wont make any difference in sound. it's happened to a lot of people i know, they put EMG's in their guitar before they owned a decent amp, and theyr like "wtf the pickups didnt change anything ".
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
trust me, keep on saving for a tube amp. you may think your amp's nice now, but unless you have a good amp, changing the pickups in your guitar wont make any difference in sound. it's happened to a lot of people i know, they put EMG's in their guitar before they owned a decent amp, and theyr like "wtf the pickups didnt change anything ".

Okay, okay. So what's the best amp out there in your opinion?
Quote by AlexWerkmeister

i'm a big believer in the Crate V series tube amps..im running a V1512 with a Vintage 30 and a pod xt with my esp ltd h1001..and it screams
Quote by AlexWerkmeister

well, if i were you, i would get a B-52 AT112. its all-tube, high gain, and right now, theyr only $360.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Neck Pickup: Dimarzio Air Norton ( or a SD Alnico II)

Mid Pickup: Dimarzio HS-2 (SD Hot Rails)

Bridge Pickup: Dimarzio D Activator or D sonic both would be good (SD JB/Custom Custom)

Tuning Knobs: Standard strat v,v,t or is it t,t,v? either way coil tap on the neck and bridge

Bridge: a new 6 point tbh..

Where can I find all of these for the cheapest price, brand new? Also, which would suit the clean tones better? The Air Nortons or Alnico IIs?
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Where can I find all of these for the cheapest price, brand new? Also, which would suit the clean tones better? The Air Nortons or Alnico IIs?

check musiciansfriend for the dimarzios and the air norton would sound "cleaner" especially with a coil tap..for the seymour duncans you'd probably have to contact your shop or seymour duncan
Quote by LSC300
check musiciansfriend for the dimarzios and the air norton would sound "cleaner" especially with a coil tap..for the seymour duncans you'd probably have to contact your shop or seymour duncan

Where could I get everything installed? Or how would I install it? I believe I have all the tools, I have a soldering gun. Do you have any ideas? I live in Carroll, Iowa. So no local shops.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Where could I get everything installed? Or how would I install it? I believe I have all the tools, I have a soldering gun. Do you have any ideas? I live in Carroll, Iowa. So no local shops.

well im sure you can get a wiring diagram from SD/Dimarzio..or if you really are uncomfortable doing it if you do a coil tap take it to a shop around you
Quote by LSC300

And also, would this whole setup work if I was also installing a Floyd Rose tremolo system in it?
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
And also, would this whole setup work if I was also installing a Floyd Rose tremolo system in it?

i wouldn't install a floyd on the squier...just not worth the hassle..a friend of mine did it to his and its falling apart a month later
+1

don't do it.

you are better off getting a new or second guitar with a FR already in it.

LSC - sorry about my Floyd comment earlier. Fender guitars and 'Strat' like bodies have been around a long time, well before Floyd Rose, so I got a little bent.
Hey man, just wondering again, if I want a pickup solely for clean tones, wouldn't I want to get a single coil in the neck rather than a bucker?

That way I wouldn't have to do the wiring for splitting the coil either.
Quote by AlexWerkmeister
Hey man, just wondering again, if I want a pickup solely for clean tones, wouldn't I want to get a single coil in the neck rather than a bucker?

That way I wouldn't have to do the wiring for splitting the coil either.

yes you coul dbut you wouldn't get the creamy neck humbucker solo sound.
Quote by LSC300
yes you coul dbut you wouldn't get the creamy neck humbucker solo sound.

Creamy as in? Give me some examples. I'm sure by the time you get this it'll be sometime tomorrow, as it's already 11:33, but I just want some examples of what sounds I can get out of the 'buckers vs. the single-coils.

Oh, and should I get the F-Spaced? Since it's a Strat?

Also, one more thing. If I do get the 'Bucker/Single/'Bucker setup in it, where the hell am I gonna get a pickguard that'll fit it?!
Last edited by AlexWerkmeister at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can get good cleans with a humbucker, you know.

Yes, I know, but aren't single-coils still cleaner?

and if I do get a humbucker for the neck it would be as suggested, the DiMarzo Air Norton, unless I get a better suggestion.

God, I just really don't wanna have to go through all of the trouble of installing the split-coil system.
Use your guitar's neck humbucker, roll down the volume a bit and vary your picking dynamics, if it's still too dirty. Not all humbuckers are high output, either.

They're two different kinds of clean tones.

Coil splits are overrated, IMO. Wiring them isn't hard at all, though. Just so you know. It's an extra switch - maybe 3 extra solder joints to make.
I think SCs in neck would be fine for your Squire.

Another way to describe the 'creamy' sound of a HB that you were asking about might be Slash's solo tone.

That said, I've seen people do Slash tone effortlessly on SSS Stats.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think SCs in neck would be fine for your Squire.

Another way to describe the 'creamy' sound of a HB that you were asking about might be Slash's solo tone.

That said, I've seen people do Slash tone effortlessly on SSS Stats.

Excuse my retardedness, but what are SCs?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Single Coil

vs HumBucker

Right. Sorry.

But what would honestly be better in your opinion: Single Coil, or 'Bucker with split-coil.
Page 1 of 3