Err... was changing strings and all of a sudden I see the string stoppers... guess what, breaking off. Not just on the 2nd string spot, it's also on the 3rd string spot. 1st strings seemed to work fine though.

Apologizes for the bad pix - my camera hasn't heard of focus yet.

The Edge III is made of famously bad materials; take this as your cue to replace it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't know what your talking about but I know there's nothing on the floyd rose that will break because of the strings unless you apply considerable force, there is things that can fall out but they easily go back in.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
So what now? I have about $200 to spend - should I get an OFR? I still have some warranty on the guitar though, I could go to the shop and ask for a new one, or something else.
String stoppers? Without being able to see anything in the pics, I can't help. My advice; turn your Camera's Close up/macro function on. To steady your shot, make sure you brace it under the lense to keep it form shifting around. Is it the lock bolt (bolt that you use to tighten the lock block to lock the string in the saddle), the saddle (where the string is), the fine tuner (that adjusts tuning), intonation screw (screw right ahead of the saddle that holds it in place) or the lock block (little black graphite thing that locks in the string)?
It's the lock block that came off Ibanez call them String stoppers
You SHOULD be able to put them back in if you find it. It's not uncommon for them to fall out when the lock bolt is loose. I also see it now that you say that in your photos. There should be an indent in it which will tell you which way it sits (lock bolt goes in the indent).
I see that, but when I try to put the strings in and tighten... I can pull the string out as if it weren't tightened at all :/
Quote by gonX
I see that, but when I try to put the strings in and tighten... I can pull the string out as if it weren't tightened at all :/

Assuming you're putting it in right and it isn't broken (doubt it), it could be the lock bolt or saddle is stripped/cross threaded. At that point, I wouldn't bother with it and just upgrade the entire trem even though you can replace the saddles, as the rest of the trem will fall apart in time anyway.
Those should just pop straight back in, once their held in with the saddle screw then you should be set, unless its snapped.
Ok I think I confirmed it's the block itself that's completely broken. On the broken ones - the string doesn't go down as far on the ones that's working.
Block has nothing to do with it; its the saddle. I can't imagine one of those locking blocks would break though, as they are made of graphite on pretty much all guitars. It sounds like a piece of broken string could be in the saddle, which would be why it's not holding the string in place.
Sum-up: lock block (edit: possibly) broken, string can actually get all the way down, but whenever I try to tighten the lock screw, the lock block slightly pops up in proportion to my tightening.

*EDIT*

Oh graphite - yeah that would be pretty impossible to break. I'll do some more screwing around and see if I can get this fixed.

*EDIT2*

Ok this is REALLY ****ed. The string is now tightened, but the lock block is not in. It has to be broken.

*EDIT3*

Confirmed broken. I looked down into the slot and it definitely looks broken. I'll bring it to a tech tomorrow.
Last edited by gonX at Jan 7, 2009,
You do have the right side of the lock block in right? The indent should face the locking bolt, and if it has a tab, the tab should be on the bottom (can't remember if Edge III blocks have a tab, I haven't fooled with one in awhile).
Here's some pics, it doesn't look right at all: Tortex pick for comparison.

Maybe they aren't graphite in the Edge III o_O From what I can see, it looks crushed, but it is VERY hard to tell. again, when taking pictures, make sure you follow the advice I gave; when all else fails, take a lot and you'll find one that looks good. Also make sure to turn your ISO Light Sensitivity to Auto, and make sure the camera is shooting in a 4:3 aspect ratio (IE 5" x 7" prints).
I'm using my phone, it has no such options Trust me, I know how to take pictures.

*EDIT2*

I really appreciate the help man. I'm going to turn this in after work tomorrow, too tired to do anything about it right now.
Last edited by gonX at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by gonX
I'm using my phone, it has no such options Trust me, I know how to take pictures.

*EDIT2*

I really appreciate the help man. I'm going to turn this in after work tomorrow, too tired to do anything about it right now.

Ah, that sucks. Well good luck with it. Based on those photos it looks crushed, meaning it was pot metal... given the issues I had with strings slipping out on mine, that is possible. Try a block from a working saddle in it and see what happens. Good luck!
Problem is that I can't get the other part of the block out :p