So i was just wondering if i could tune my guitar 2 steps down with 10 gauge strings?
Because i know you need thicker strings for lower tunings or it wont play well.
Won't play well is subjective. Only way to know is to find out. Assuming you have a standard scale guitar (any thing Fender style) and the guitar is of reasonable quality and the strings are new it should be fine, you may just not like the feel.
You should probably use at least 11's. I would probably use 12s for that low of a tuning.
it was too floppy for me when i did it, but hey for me 10s are too floppy for drop c, i use 11s for drop C
Equipment:
PRS SE custom Cherryburst
dean razorback V (green/black) currently on ebay
Digitech Death metal pedal [wanting to sell - £15]
Zoom G1X [wanting to sell - £25]
Line6 UX1 (with metal shop add on)
I use 11's in Drop C, otherwise 9's or 10's dont have enough tension

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
its personal preference really, do they feel comfortable to you? noones telling you that you must change guage to play a certain style or in a certain tuning. i'm assuming you've tuned them to that already? if you havent, try it out, see how it feels to you. some like the super vibrato you can get out of low tunings and thinner strings, while some prefer the beefier sound from thicker strings.
but yeah, i use 0.11s for drop B tuning, 0.10s for anything else. its just preference really.
doesnt really matter the strings, more the tremolo, but my 6 string is tuned like a drop 7 string, which is a lot of steps and its fine, the strings will just be real loose.
It won't damage anything, if that's what you mean. But it will all feel freakishly slack, you'll need to raise the action to stop the strings just hitting the fretboard and dying, and the tone will most likely become very poorly defined.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
At the end of they day just try it man, if it doesnt feel any good then go for something heavier. Everyone will have their own preferences, hell i use 10-52 at standard E.
You would need heavier strings when downtuning because of two things:

a) you actually loosen the strings, so if they're too thin they'll become sloppy-ish
b) you actually loosen the strings, so the pressure on your neck decreases and you make up for this by using heavier strings

You make up for b) by tweaking yer old truss rod and you make up for a) by preference. So, now, you don't need heavier strings

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Yep it's preference, SRV used 0.13's at standard E .
That said there are a number of factors you should consider, such as the ones mentioned above.
Quote by a_man
That said there are a number of factors you should consider, such as the ones mentioned above.

lol and i thought i was pushing it using 10-52s in standard E
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
i play in drop c with 10s
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
I tried Drop A# with 10's. Had lots of slack but bends looked cool
Quote by a_man

I think it was a half step down but still his fingers were insane haha
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I'd say anything from .10 - .12 would be fine for D Standard. .09s however would probably start to feel a bit loose.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, at the end of the day it's all a matter of preference.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Gregoric
lol and i thought i was pushing it using 10-52s in standard E

Yes SRV tuned a half step down most of the time. Still though. Wow. Oh and 10s are kindof the regular strings for Standard E, unless you play shred-tars. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
You would need heavier strings when downtuning because of two things:

a) you actually loosen the strings, so if they're too thin they'll become sloppy-ish
b) you actually loosen the strings, so the pressure on your neck decreases and you make up for this by using heavier strings

You make up for b) by tweaking yer old truss rod and you make up for a) by preference. So, now, you don't need heavier strings

how do you tweak it?
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
2 Whole steps or half steps?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?