I have bout 120 to spend max, and am looking for an amp since i jsut got my first electric guitar. I dont want a microcube because i hate the fact that it has like 6 presets and thats all the sounds you get. I was lookin at a vypyr 15, but is there a "manual" mode where you dont modell an amp, and just mess wit the settings for your own?

Also, are the vox DAs good? I want to play blues (srv, hendrix stuff), modern rock and some metal (does a7x count as metal? cuz thats all the "metal" i would play really), and just have a general set of sounds.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/981939115.html

Is that a good deal? Do they have control for bass, mids, and treble? and do you have to do modelling, or is it your own settings? i really want something where i can get a bunch of different sounds by like the ultimate settings thread threa. Not models.

If the da isnt good, do you know any amps that are?

Thanks,
Nathan
look for a used fender vibro champ or super champ. Or save a bit more and get a new one. Other than that if you must stick to that price this is your best bet: http://www.thomann.de/dk/harley_benton_ga5.htm

If you cant find either get something like a cheap cheap used line6 and use headphones for starters. but really look for the fender. you should be able to find one used for your budget
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
You're not going to get an amp with tons of effects/presets for around $100. One of the Roland Cubes would be your best bet, they sound the best of all the budget amps I've heard, but you don't want one of those.

Also, an amp to play blues, rock, and metal is going to be hard to find, but the cube could get you a bit of all of those. The Vox Valvetronix series is also pretty good. If I were you I'd just get a cube.
Quote by stuey22
You're not going to get an amp with tons of effects/presets for around $100. One of the Roland Cubes would be your best bet, they sound the best of all the budget amps I've heard, but you don't want one of those.

Also, an amp to play blues, rock, and metal is going to be hard to find, but the cube could get you a bit of all of those. The Vox Valvetronix series is also pretty good. If I were you I'd just get a cube.

I said i DONT want loads of effects/presets. I want an amp where I can make my own tone using eq and stuff. I dont always like presets, but if i can just keep it on clean or distortion channel and make my own settings. Not presets.
Quote by chrisdam
look for a used fender vibro champ or super champ. Or save a bit more and get a new one. Other than that if you must stick to that price this is your best bet: http://www.thomann.de/dk/harley_benton_ga5.htm

If you cant find either get something like a cheap cheap used line6 and use headphones for starters. but really look for the fender. you should be able to find one used for your budget

Is that kinda like an epi valve junior? Cuz the valve junior is too much. And im in america haha, how do i order that?
Quote by chrisdam

Will i not be able to get different sounds without pedals? Because i dont have money for pedals and stuff. And is there an EQ?

Sorry im new to amps obviously lol. Im new to electrics in general. I've only had an acoustic before
I would buy that Vypyr 15. I tried one a few weeks ago and was impressed by the tones you could get out of it. The 6505 was my favorite with some delay... Had some fairly convincing brown sound going on.
Does anyone know if the Vox DA 15 is any good? the deal probably wont be up much longer
The Da15 has different amp modules. It has a couple clean modules, a few blues, and a few metal ish tones. I have it's baby brother the Da5, if metal isn't a your main priority it would be fine.

Edit: microcube - $75 http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/msg/982944499.html Its up there with the Da5 and Vypyr 15 as basic starter amps. It's debatable, but many like it the best of the three.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
The Da15 has different amp modules. It has a couple clean modules, a few blues, and a few metal ish tones.

So its good or not? haha sorry, but if it is i wanna email him soon.

this is what it says at one part "With Manual mode (where you hear exactly what the knob settings indicate) you have instant access to three different sounds. " Does that mean i can make my own settings? not just moddels? cause if so, im emailin him.
imo vox da = bad...i'd wait and save a little bit longer and get a valvetronix..
Quote by LSC300
imo vox da = bad...i'd wait and save a little bit longer and get a valvetronix..

Can i ask why?
Quote by nathanlamb
So its good or not? haha sorry, but if it is i wanna email him soon.

You can't make a setting and save it if that is what you are asking. I like the Da line for what they are, the guy above me doesn't. You should go try it and see what you think though. I'm not a big "metal" player, couple songs here or there sure. I play blues and rock mostly, which may be why I like it.
Quote by nathanlamb
Can i ask why?

it sounds so..digital...so line 6ish..the vox i believe is a tube poweramp or tube preamp which is a plus..
You can make you own presets on modeling amp you know?

They model more expensive amps. They don't just have a preset for metal, rock, or whatever else that is unable to be tweaked.

I`m pretty sure they all have 3 band eq's too am I right? And reverb?
Quote by gregs1020
You can't make a setting and save it if that is what you are asking. I like the Da line for what they are, the guy above me doesn't. You should go try it and see what you think though. I'm not a big "metal" player, couple songs here or there sure. I play blues and rock mostly, which may be why I like it.

Yea i didn't mean save it. But i can find a tone i like instead of just presets? Yea im definately NOT a metal player. The only metalish songs i like are afterlife and bat country by a7x. Im more rock and blues. So you think its good for that style? I cant really go try em out at gc, its too far away. It looks like a good deal but i dont know how much they normally cost since i cant find em at guitarcetner.com or musiciansfriend.com. Do they even sell tehm?
Quote by LSC300
it sounds so..digital...so line 6ish..the vox i believe is a tube poweramp or tube preamp which is a plus..

Did you mean to say something else? You just said its bad, but then said its a plus....
if you're looking for a blusey tone that can get good rock tones look at a crate v series tube amp..very affordable yet very versatile and takes to pedals very well
Quote by nathanlamb
Did you mean to say something else? You just said its bad, but then said its a plus....

my bad..thats for the Valvetronix not the DA
I would go with the Pathfinder.

You don't have to save up for the Valvetronix or one of the Crates or anything. They're maybe a step up, but still low end and you'd be upgrading in a while anyway.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
My Da5 was $140 new, so I imagine the Da15 would be slightly more but I could be wrong. I think instead of a bass/mid/treble knobs it has one tone knob. But that's on my Da5, I am not sure about the Da15, it may have a 3 band eq, dunno. Talk to the guy that has it and go try his if you can, if you like it buy it. For rock to blues it's a great amp to start off with at $65. I'm sure you will find plenty of tones you like out of it. I mostly just play srv type stuff on mine through the second clean setting. Some Zep on one of the "crunch" channels, not sure which one. Set up a meeting with this guy and see what you think of the amp.
Quote by gregs1020
My Da5 was $140 new, so I imagine the Da15 would be slightly more but I could be wrong. I think instead of a bass/mid/treble knobs it has one tone knob. But that's on my Da5, I am not sure about the Da15, it may have a 3 band eq, dunno. Talk to the guy that has it and go try his if you can, if you like it buy it. For rock to blues it's a great amp to start off with at $65. I'm sure you will find plenty of tones you like out of it. I mostly just play srv type stuff on mine through the second clean setting. Some Zep on one of the "crunch" channels, not sure which one. Set up a meeting with this guy and see what you think of the amp.

Yea but hes in fort worth, im in south arlington so its a long drive. Its not like "oh a quick drive to test it" thing.
Quote by nathanlamb
Yea but hes in fort worth, im in south arlington so its a long drive. Its not like "oh a quick drive to test it" thing.

then keep saving for some better gear man..how old are you?
Quote by LSC300
then keep saving for some better gear man..how old are you?

Im 14. Really i wont be gettin any money till next christmas. It sucks. But next year im old enough to get a job
Quote by nathanlamb
Im 14. Really i wont be gettin any money till next christmas. It sucks. But next year im old enough to get a job

yeah i'd keep saving..maybe get something super cheap like a spider III or vyper, then work your way up
But the DA 15 isn't BAD is it? Because that seems like a good deal, and seems to fit what i want
Quote by nathanlamb
But the DA 15 isn't BAD is it? Because that seems like a good deal, and seems to fit what i want

i'll just say..you could do worse but between a 15 watt DA or a 15 watt Valvetronix..get the Valvetronix
Quote by LSC300
yeah i'd keep saving..maybe get something super cheap like a spider III or vyper, then work your way up

$65 is pretty super cheap. The spider III would be a bad idea all around.
TS - I think the Da15 would be fine for the cash but if it's not convenient to try I understand. It sounds like GC is inconvenient too so I'm not sure how you plan to move forward.
Quote by gregs1020
$65 is pretty super cheap. The spider III would be a bad idea all around.
TS - I think the Da15 would be fine for the cash but if it's not convenient to try I understand. It sounds like GC is inconvenient too so I'm not sure how you plan to move forward.

I can go, but i have to be pretty much planning on buying unless its like broken. My dad doesnt wanna drive an hour there and an hour back for nothing haha.

Quote by LSC300
i'll just say..you could do worse but between a 15 watt DA or a 15 watt Valvetronix..get the Valvetronix

And also the DA is 65, the valvetronix is like 200....
Quote by nathanlamb
I can go, but i have to be pretty much planning on buying unless its like broken. My dad doesnt wanna drive an hour there and an hour back for nothing haha.

And also the DA is 65, the valvetronix is like 200....

imo..the 135 dollar difference is worth it when comparing those two
How far was the microcube from you that I linked to earlier? That's a good home practice amp too.
Quote by LSC300
imo..the 135 dollar difference is worth it when comparing those two

Yea i bet it is..... too bad i dont have a 135 dollars and cant get that till next frikken year haha
Quote by gregs1020
How far was the microcube from you that I linked to earlier? That's a good home practice amp too.

I've tried a microcube, but i dont like that i only get like 6 presets and no changing stuff. Unlike the manuel mode of the DA
Quote by nathanlamb
Yea i bet it is..... too bad i dont have a 135 dollars and cant get that till next frikken year haha

do some house work, sell some of of your shit you dont use..135 bucks isnt that much
Quote by LSC300
do some house work, sell some of of your shit you dont use..135 bucks isnt that much

I know for instruments and stuff it isn't very much. Theres like no jobs around here. Cant rake leaves cuz we have no trees around here, cant lawm mow, not growing much yet, we have no paper route, no snow shoveling... Theres not many things i can do, my parents wont pay me for anythign.

Not tryin to argue or anything, im jsut sayin for me, its very hard to get money. I know i dont have much. But i kinda want something instead of playin my electric acoustically all day like i have been for about 2 weeks since i got it haha