So I came up with a riff and I want to write a complete composition however i'm crap with theory so I need some help please. The notes in the melody are E F F# C# B. please can you tell me what scale and key this melody belongs to and other tips.

thanks

Ibanez S2170 Purple Chameleon finish
Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Without that F-natural it can be in the key of E major. Don't limit yourself to a single key if you can write a good melody that goes outside it a bit.
You have three notes in a row, so technically, it's not in scale. But it can be a scale with accidentals. I would say either E major or B major.

Is this a metal song perchance?
F Enigmatic is the only thing that fits that:
F,F#,A,B,C#,D#,E
I'm pretty sure you don't want to go that way though since I assume you're just going chromatic, in what order are the notes.
Perhaps try E Major?

Or is it trashmetal?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Happy and its classic rock style

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
^ E major in that case. But just noodle arround and see what you like best.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
I don't think it's B major then. B major would have the F as a tritone, and that's probably not what's going on here.

How often are you really playing the F? Is it just a quick note, or a hammer on?
^ I'd then say E major. When the solo section comes you can try improv on E minor pentatonic.
I think B minor makes the most sense. Mixed with a bit of blues.

B minor scale: B C# D E F# G A B
B Blues scale: B D E F F# A B (The F is a tritone, but sounds good in this context. between the subdominant and dominant degrees)

Try it over a B Dominant 7th chord.
Last edited by one vision at Jan 7, 2009,
order of notes E E F F# C# B C# E

and F# m pentatonic sounds good ?

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Either E or C# ^^ to me

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
thankyou!

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by one vision
So which one is it? Lol. I just said Key of E because you said it's happy and you said it resolves to E or C#.

There's a chance it could be C sharp minor. I'd be more sure, but I can't play it right now.

sounds best c sharp minor, e major doesnt sound good but even F# minor pentatonic sounds good, should htis work?

thanks

Vintage SG
Roland Microcube
Digitech overdrive
Digitech HEAVY METAL
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by VikingK0ng
sounds best c sharp minor, e major doesnt sound good but even F# minor pentatonic sounds good, should htis work?

thanks

If it sounds good then it's good, it's not the baroque era anymore so you can break rules if it makes your music sound better.