Quote by Ishereel
What is the diff between F-spaced and regular pups?

F spacing is for guitars with floyd rose style bridges
Quote by JesterShred
ok, we got that... but what id the actual difference??

f spaced guitars are spaced differently with the strings?

Quote by Ishereel
So I wouldn't need F-spaced for an ec-500 with emgs right?

no..are you changing out your emgs for blackouts or something?
ive have heard the F space it fender space, and i have heard that it is floyd rose spaced.
i dont know for sure.
but either way, you wouldnt need it for an ec-500. (unless im wicked wrong.)
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by JesterShred
ok, we got that... but what id the actual difference??

The pole pieces of the pickup are set slightly further apart from each other.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i thoguht they were for fender guitars..

how about ****ING GOOGLE

or atleast searchbar
i know this has been done manytimes
Quote by chea_man
ive have heard the F space it fender space, and i have heard that it is floyd rose spaced.
i dont know for sure.

well last time i talked to a guitar tech he was 100% sure its floyd spacing
Yeah, the strings are farther apart, I think. But since the nut is the same width, it is slightly more pronounced at the bridge pickup.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
set farther apart??? that's kinda cool, why is that? are the strings actually farther? i have an LTD with a floyd, and it almost feels like the strings are closer...
Quote by JesterShred
set farther apart??? that's kinda cool, why is that? are the strings actually farther? i have an LTD with a floyd, and it almost feels like the strings are closer...

well at the nut its the same as a guitar with the same nut width as yours.but at the bridge its spaced farther out..i wanna say because of the locking bridge theres gonna be more metal and its gonna need more space in between to lock

The F stands for Fender as in Stratocaster or any Strat like guitar. Trembucker term is for the same thing and is used by Seymour Duncan to designate a bridge humbucker that has it's magnet poles align better with the string spacing of strats.

Can't speak to your guitar specifically.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026493&highlight=trembucker

whoever said their guitar teacher told them that the F in F-Spaced stands for Floyd is wrong.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 17, 2009,
^I wouldn't

Yeah, pretty sure it's for Fender.....

And the issue aside, either way, you don't need it for your EC-500
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
either way..you DO NOT NEED F SPACING FOR STOPTAIL STYLE BRIDGES...argument solved
The 'F' stands for Fender spacing, it's widely accepted.

Fender started the whole 'f-spacing' thing.
Quote by LSC300
i would trust a trained professional over you..sorry

Ask a trained professional who knows what he's talking about next time.

The term was in use long before Floyd Rose bridges existed.

It doesn't matter. It's the same spacing for Floyd Rose trems and Fender trems.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by LSC300
i would trust a trained professional over you..sorry

That's a good one. I have had trained techs that couldn't wire up a squier. So I had a UG mod do it, for real.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
F-Spacing is short for both Fender and Floyd Rose. F was the first letter of both so it was shortened to F-Spacing. If it was for just one it would be Fender Spacing or Floyd Spacing. Most import guitars with TOM bridges need an F-Spaced bridge pickup too. I ordered a Seymour Duncan SH-6b for my LTD EC100QM and the spacing was wrong so I ordered a TB4 (Trembucker JB) for it and the pole pieces line up with the strings now. In case people don't know Duncan's Trembucker equals Dimarzio's F-Spaced.

This is from Dimarzio's website.
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16 (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.

This is from the Seymour Duncan website.
Humbuckers and Trembuckers are very similar to each other, and most humbucker models also come in Trembucker versions. The Trembucker-spaced JB, for example, is a TB-4 and the humbucker-spaced version in an SH-4. The only difference is the wider spacing of the pole pieces on the Trembucker versions. This spacing issue only applies to the bridge position pickup, which is why Trembuckers are recommended for the bridge position. Trembuckers are designed for wider string spacing most commonly associated with Floyd Rose or vintage vibrato bridges (often called Tremolos) with a string spacing of 2.070" or 52.6mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbuckers are designed for bridges with traditional Gibson humbucker string spacing of 1.930" or 49mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbucker spaced pickups work in both bridge and neck positions, even with a Trembucker-spaced bridge pickup. A quick and easy way to tell which you need is to measure from the middle of the high string to the middle of the low string, directly over the pickup. If the distance is greater than two inches or 50mm, go for a Trembucker. If it's less than two inches or 50mm, go for a humbucker.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Jan 7, 2009,
From bareknuckle pickups website:

" What does "calibrated set" mean? A calibrated set of humbuckers(or single coils for that matter) are pickups wound to optimise tone and output for their respective position, ie bridge and neck humbuckers are wound differently and often feature different magnets too. The strings move alot more over the neck pickup and generate more current so neck pickups are often wound to have a lower output in comparison to a bridge in order to achieve better clarity and balance between the pair. The best way to think of a calibrated set is as a matched pair.

What is the difference between braided two conductor and four conductor? Braided two conductor hook up allows series operation only(humbucking!) whereas four conductor hook up allows advanced wiring options such as series/parallel, in/out of phase and coil splitting.

What spacing is right for my bridge humbucker? Spacing refers to the distance from E pole to E pole on the bridge pickup of a humbucker equipped guitar. Standard spacing, usual with fixed Gibson style bridges is 50mm(it's actually 49.4mm on BKPs as per the original Gibson PAF but is rounded up to 50mm in the industry). Wide or F(Fender) spacing is typical of trem equipped guitars and is 53mm as per original Fender spacing. The majority of Gibson guitars are standard spaced although they have occasionally used a wide spaced bridge on some SG and Flying Vee series. PRS, despite fitting standard spaced humbuckers as stock are actually wide spaced on their trem equipped guitars.Neck pickups are always standard spacing. If in doubt...get the ruler out! "
^^
they might be commonly known as floyd spacing but technically, they were named F-spaced.

the F standing for ...... F.

because gibson and fenders were the two popular brands. gibson being standard humbuckers. fenders using f- spaced.

also, because floyds were becoming popular.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
because gibson and fenders were the two popular brands. gibson being standard humbuckers. fenders using f- spaced.

also, because floyds were becoming popular.

That's what I said. F is short for both. I just quoted Duncan's website basicly saying it was for Floyd because Nims quoted Bareknuckle pickups website saying it was for Fender and these days both are right. I'm not trying to argue but most people these days think F-Spacing = Fender and Floyd Rose both and considering they take the same spacing I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't matter anyway.
^i wasn't disagreeing.

you had quoted a lot. and i noted the bold part, and wasn't sure if you thought maybe it' was called floyd too.

believe me. i only added 2 cents, to let the other kid know that his professional, isnt technically correct.

to me, it's not that both are right, as much as, both are wrong.
but yeah it makes no difference at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by chea_man
i dont know for sure.

this much be the smartest mofo on the entire forum!
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i dont know for sure.
this much be the smartest mofo on the entire forum!

No because the EC-500 does need an F-Spaced pickup in the bridge. Like I said before: Most import guitars with TOM bridges need an F-Spaced bridge pickup too. I ordered a Seymour Duncan SH-6b for my LTD EC100QM and the spacing was wrong so I ordered a TB4 (Trembucker JB) for it and the pole pieces line up with the strings now.

This is from Dimarzio's website.
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.
so, who likes ponies

Actually this topic got me interested and I realize that my guitar actually needs f-spaced pickups. And I've had regulars in here for like four months.

Oh well.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Jan 7, 2009,