this will be my first mac and since ive heard so many great things about macs and how good they are for recording ive decided to get one but i dont know which one. ive heard that 2gb of ram on a mac are worth more then on a pc so i dont know how much ram i need. Ill be using it for recording and editing music with pro tools. i need a laptop by the way so i can record stuff on the go and go back to it later at home. my budget is somewhere around 1500 dollars.
Last edited by metalrhoads at Jan 7, 2009,
Depends on how many tracks your doing simulataneously. If your just recording like.. 2 the stock standard macbook will do the job. If you're multitracking 16 tracks at the same time, you want a pro. Also you can get aftermarket ram for macs from brands like corsair so dont fret about price too much. If you can pick up an older macbook pro (from say mid last yearish, not the new model) thats great but will probably take up all your budget.

One thing to be mindful of though, new macbooks = no firewire. all the pros have it, and the old macbooks do, not the new aluminium ones though.
Last edited by doommaker at Jan 7, 2009,
FIY, anything a Mac can do, a PC can do.
Some say stay away from Vista but I dont have any problems with it in my studio. After you spend a few minutes tweaking the OS you are just as good as XP. You should get a fair processor and at least 2GB of ram though.

for $1500 you can get a very nice PC which will handle quite a bit in terms of audio.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jan 8, 2009,
Unless of course you want to run Digital Performer or Logic Pro. Moody is right though, i use macs because i run Logic and before that i ran DP and i also hate windows with a burning passion but thats me. Macs run windows anyway.

Don't get a mac just because people say you should. Get it because thats what you need, yes they are (IMO) better with multimedia than pc's but thats because thats what they're geared for. Make sure your sure its what you want before you buy it.
personnaly i find audio work a lot easier on macs, i love the simplicity of garageband and for the money nothing beats logic studio.
^ Logic is great, but if he's not going to use that there's no point. Garageband is good for free software, but it can't hold up against the big boys.

Personally, unless you plan to use Logic, I would definitely go for a PC. Much cheaper, and can do the same stuff.
There is poetry in despair.
moody's right,

macs can't do anything better than PCs, but he's wrong about Vista - you don't want it, the OS itself takes up so much more RAM than XP when it's running.
For your money you can get alot higher spec PC than you could a Mac at the same price and recording quality is down to the sound card NOT THE OPERATING SYSTEM! So get a good sound with it if you can, go to the store and ask for good PC for recording.

Also try and not spend all of your money because good hardware and equiptment such as mikes are essencial. No good having a good soundcard without good equipment. You may also want to spennd it on recording software. A good harddrive is not essencial - belive me, through recording you'll never come close to even filling a 100 gigabyte hardrive.
^ With a lot of recording, you can fill that. It is more than adequate, but don't underestimate all the space a full project with all its .wav files in it occupies.

EDIT : Yeah, it's more than enough though lol
There is poetry in despair.
well that 1500 i reseerved for a new comp which im still undicided which to get. the reason i want a mac is becuase at school thats what we use and so my teachers have said that macs are what the professionals use. for the record its college. I dont plan on using logic but you never know i may change my mind in the future and then ill need a mac so might as well get one now. I dont know much about comps so is there a specific one you guys would recommend? i dont want to ask at the store becuase i feel like they will just try to sell me a comp. and as far as harddrive i have and external 500gb harddrive so thats not a problem.
You buy a mac because of the programs on it, you pay for what you get and you don't have to worry about the OS. People whinge about macs because theyre expensive. That being said after using a PC since i was 5 til 2 years ago i refuse to use a pc unless i have absolutely no choice.
Quote by moody07747

for $1500 you can get a very nice PC which will handle quite a bit in terms of audio.

I agree with this. You're not going to get a decent Mac with that money, so unless you want spend $500-700 more, get a PC.
Quote by metalrhoads
ok well what Mac no pc do you guys recommend for 2000 american dollars.

Refurbished Macbook Pro, and you may just about have enough left over for a copy of Logic if you get a student discount.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by doommaker
You buy a mac because of the programs on it, you pay for what you get and you don't have to worry about the OS. People whinge about macs because theyre expensive. That being said after using a PC since i was 5 til 2 years ago i refuse to use a pc unless i have absolutely no choice.

agreed,
i've recently swithed over to Mac and Logic after years of using Windows. i can safely say i will never use windows ever again. ya i know the usual arguements "macs are too expensive, wah wah wah", but the stability is just amazing.
no more babysitting your computer and counting down the minutes til the next crash.

fire it up, do 7 hours of editing/mixing, go get some tea, another few hours work and power off.

the reason macs are used for professional audio is that you just cant afford a system crash when your drawing a wage from that work. you need to be able to count on the system working perfectly every time and you just cant do that with windows.
The second best thing is ALL of them can do some pretty powerful editing and recoriding.

I have a 2 year old 1.86ghz dual core imac desktop with 2 gb of ram, i can record 12 tracks of 96khz 24 bit audio for half an hour (i did it once for a gig) without it crashing, seizing or overheating. And thats the older model.

Depending on what you need get either the imac or the macbook pro.

There is NOTHING wrong with refurbished, if anything its a bit of protection because theyre already fixed. So if your gonna more around alot, hell even a macbook will do (no firewire on the new ones though) or if your not, an imac and maybe a second monitor (doesn't have to be a mac one) and you have an awesome looking and working setup.