So I had band practice last week, and I left my guitar in my car. I took it out today. Needless to say it's cold out, and I think I "froze" the pickups.

Is that even possible? Or is there another problem entirely? When I play it's like it only comes out of one headphone (I'm playing through my guitarport). And when it does output, it outputs all distorted even if it's a clean tone. And very very quiet.

I'm using a space heater to try and warm it up a bit, but am I going to need new pickups?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
If it's only coming out of one headphone then it's not a problem with your guitar.

If it IS a problem with your guitar, I'm guessing you froze the battery, not the pickups. Swap the battery, you should be fine.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
If it's only coming out of one headphone then it's not a problem with your guitar.

If it IS a problem with your guitar, I'm guessing you froze the battery, not the pickups. Swap the battery, you should be fine.

I'll swap the battery, appreciate your help.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Maybe your headphones are messed up? What happens when you run it through your amp? More info and it'll be easier fr us to help

Oh and is that banana got a hat on the end?
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
considering their is no liquid involved, prob'ly not
and my passive pups will distort headphone speakers on a clean channel

couldn't tell you what the rest of the problem might be though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Lasyk
Maybe your headphones are messed up? What happens when you run it through your amp? More info and it'll be easier fr us to help

Oh and is that banana got a hat on the end?

Since I don't have a 9v to swap it with yet, I changed the headphones to a pair that are exactly the same, just another pair, and it's coming out crystal clear now. I mean there's some distortion at the end of my clean tone, but I think that's because my battery is running low, too.

Thanks for the help diagnosing the problem guys.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by gwitersnamps

I don't think that he FROZE the battery, I've left battery powered items out in my dads truck overnight, they dont get harmed by the cold, i even keep batteries in my garage, which is basically the same temperature as outside jsut not the windchill.

BUT! The wires from your P-ups to the battery or to the volume/tone knobs could have gotten cold and the plastic insulation could have split and messed up the wire perhaps?
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Hey TS, I see you have a GE-7. If you don't mind me asking, where do you put it in your chain? I just got one and am trying out different ways of using it, so I'm curious. . .
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Hey TS, I see you have a GE-7. If you don't mind me asking, where do you put it in your chain? I just got one and am trying out different ways of using it, so I'm curious. . .

I don't mind. I run from the guitar to the amp; Guitar>wah(if i'm using it)>GE-7(love it)>Noise Gate>Amp. With the Chorus in the effects loop.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Lasyk
I don't think that he FROZE the battery, I've left battery powered items out in my dads truck overnight, they dont get harmed by the cold, i even keep batteries in my garage, which is basically the same temperature as outside jsut not the windchill.

BUT! The wires from your P-ups to the battery or to the volume/tone knobs could have gotten cold and the plastic insulation could have split and messed up the wire perhaps?

Batteries have temperature ranges, and overnight in January in Wisconsin I'm sure it definitely gets colder than what the range is.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't mind. I run from the guitar to the amp; Guitar>wah(if i'm using it)>GE-7(love it)>Noise Gate>Amp. With the Chorus in the effects loop.

That's about what I do.

Guitar>DS1>Wylde>Wah>EQ>Amp

Have you ever tried the EQ in the loop? My amp doesn't have one, but I might get one soon that does.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
That's about what I do.

Guitar>DS1>Wylde>Wah>EQ>Amp

Have you ever tried the EQ in the loop? My amp doesn't have one, but I might get one soon that does.

From what I've heard if you run the wah first, it has a "better" sound from effecting all other pedals behind it. Try that out, see if it helps with your sound.

EDIT: I haven't tried it in the loop, no. But again from what I hear, that would only effect the pedals from the loop as well.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
From what I've heard if you run the wah first, it has a "better" sound from effecting all other pedals behind it. Try that out, see if it helps with your sound.

EDIT: I haven't tried it in the loop, no. But again from what I hear, that would only effect the pedals from the loop as well.

Yeah, it does. But I use the wah as a bit more of a filter. I can get this REALLY awesome wah/swell sound with the DS1 where it is.

And I think that would depend on the kind of loop. If it was series then it should affect the entire sound, right? Since it equalizes the entire signal before the power amp.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Yeah, it does. But I use the wah as a bit more of a filter. I can get this REALLY awesome wah/swell sound with the DS1 where it is.

And I think that would depend on the kind of loop. If it was series then it should affect the entire sound, right? Since it equalizes the entire signal before the power amp.

I don't know entirely too much about effect loops, but I remember as a rule of thumb, you really only want to put in "special effects" in there, such as; delay, chorus, flanger, phaser. That type of stuff.

If you dig your sound where everything is, keep it. But if you think your stuff will sound better with your GE-7 in the loop, try it out when you can (think you said your amp doesn't have a loop)

And you're right, if it is a series then it should effect the entire catalog of pedals.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I don't know entirely too much about effect loops, but I remember as a rule of thumb, you really only want to put in "special effects" in there, such as; delay, chorus, flanger, phaser. That type of stuff.

If you dig your sound where everything is, keep it. But if you think your stuff will sound better with your GE-7 in the loop, try it out when you can (think you said your amp doesn't have a loop)

And you're right, if it is a series then it should effect the entire catalog of pedals.

My approach is kinda trying to do the Boogie thing, like on the Nomads and Mk IVs. I tried out a Nomad and it sounded like crap until i turned the EQ on. I think they put it after the preamp, so I'm hoping putting the EQ in a series effects loop will accomplish the same thing.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
It's nothing to do with what kind of pickups you have, but your guitar has a lot of metal in it in the shape of wires. Metal will contract if it gets cold, if it was really cold then there's a chance that some of the wiring, possibly in the pickups, possibly somewhere else, possibly just a solder joint, shrank and either broke or simply pulled away from whatever it was connected to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com