Hi okay ive spend ages trying to tune my guitar and after I finaly realise that ive done it, it still sounds dark and moody and kind of electrical tinny sound, not a smooth and acoustic kind of sound. I swear the thing keeps going out of tune every few minutes, I put new strings on it but im pretty sure I dont it correctly, is it possible I put the strings on the wrong way and that is the reason for it going out of tune so fast?
I prefered the sound of the original strings but being the guitar noob that I am I snapped one of them so I bought new ones.

These are the strings I have on it
http://www.guitar.co.uk/strings/acoustic/992-martin_acoustic_sp_8020_bronze
You've put extra light strings on so that could well explain the tinny sound. Not sure about dark & moody I'd have described a more bassy sound as dark but heh... whatever.

As for if its going out of tune, check it with a tuner. If it is a problem then it could be due to the new strings. New strings need to be stretched a few times when you first put them on. You'll find they'll keep tune better that way.

Also, make sure the strings are wound correctly on the tuning pegs. If its not done right you'll get some slippage and the string will go out of tune as you play.

Hope it helps.
I too have a Yamaha F310 TBS and I've had it for about a year. I still have the original strings on it and I don't experience a tinny sound. I almost never have to tune it except when I knock one of the tuning pegs when I take it out of the case.

Anyone know what would be a good upgrade to this guitar? Either acoustic or electric? Thanks.
ok lol thanks for the replies, so I need new strings? Can someone please show me where I can buy the original strings that came with the guitar? Or what they are called, id apreciate that alot. I probably didnt do a good job restringing it so the strings might be slipping on the tuning pegs a bit, thanks for the advice ill do a better job next time
You need to stretch stings once you've put them on. Pull up on the string quite hard, tune it back up to pitch, then pull it again. You should be pulling fairly hard, about enough to pick up the guitar by the string if necessary.

Repeat this process until it doesn't slip out of tune when you pull it. Then repeat for all the other strings. Shouldn't take more than three or four minutes.
Quote by kyle62
You need to stretch stings once you've put them on. Pull up on the string quite hard, tune it back up to pitch, then pull it again. You should be pulling fairly hard, about enough to pick up the guitar by the string if necessary.

Repeat this process until it doesn't slip out of tune when you pull it. Then repeat for all the other strings. Shouldn't take more than three or four minutes.

I don't suggest pulling THAT hard. It is actually possible to do damage to your guitar by doing so. The most I would suggest pulling is about half to 3/4 of an inch. Pull at the 5th fret and 12th fret to get a bit of the slack out. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times.

Also, yes, a guitar strung improperly can cause tonal and tuning problems.

Here's a really good guide.
http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I pull my strings on my Jem and Paul probably 3 inches or so, and then bend them both upwards and downward.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by Paith
I pull my strings on my Jem and Paul probably 3 inches or so, and then bend them both upwards and downward.

An acoustic and an electric are a bit different. When you have 12s on(which is a set of lights for acoustic), you can't do that. An acoustic has somewhere between 150-185lbs. of pull on the guitar. An electric with 9's might only have about 100-130lbs of pull, and that's quite a big difference.

The other reason why I don't suggest pulling too hard is because most acoustic guitars have either a tusq(synthetic) or plastic saddle. You can make a groove in the saddle if you pull too hard. Grooves in the saddle can lead to premature breaking because when a string is plucked. When you pluck a string, the string rolls slightly. If the string sits inside of the groove, it can't roll and causes more stress on the string at that one point.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.