Hey, i recently started learning to read sheet music, and i started off great, but now im really struggling to read and play in time all at once, can anyone give me any advice?
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
I'm struggling as well, it comes with practice. Basically, read and play really slow ( and I mean almost ridiculously slow) and you will eventually get faster (but don't try to push it). Basically, you need a lot of patience.
You have to build up really slowly. Something you could try is get one of those grade 1 piano books, with basic one note at a time melodies, and practice with those. Alternatively, something I do is play along to classical music, video game music, film music, download MIDI files and play along to movie themes.

Stuff by Hans Zimmer and all those guys. The melodies are great, and pretty easy. You can load up the MIDIs in any free MIDI program, I think Finale has a free lite version and there's also stuff like Anvil studio. It's good to play along with simple catchy epic melodies because they're easy to remember, and you can train your ear as well.

That way you're at least having a bit of fun while you're building up. Basically stick to the really simple stuff until you're ready to move up and then just take it slow. REALLY slow.

Play along to everything and anything and you'll get better with a little bit of time and practice.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jan 7, 2009,
ah right, cheers guys

i guess im not really the patient type >.<
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
luckily, my folks made me take piano lessons when i was younger, so i had no choice but to read music

i'd suggest the same approach i used- metronome, and learning simple things and building up to the big stuff
Gear:

Stinger Smx
Hondo H-1
Fender Classical
Custom Mini Les Paul
60 watt Mega Tube
GNX4 workstation
6 pack of Shiner Bock
as chris says, you have to start of slowly. Dont try and rush what you are playing, if you are missing notes and playing sloppy you are probally going to fast. Congratiolations on learning to read music, it will open up many doors to your playing.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.